1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Folks, I'm playing with the behavior of the titles and banners; you may want to read the relevant thread in the Forum Suggestions area.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver on it's side

Discussion in 'Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Maximo, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Maximo

Maximo Well-Known Member

Just so I am clear (I know I asked this on the other forum some time ago). There are no deleterious effect to putting a receiver on its side right?

I am planning on putting it in a closet and controlling it with an remote extender. So I don't need to see it.

2. PaulyT

PaulyT Behind the Curtain Staff Member Administrator Moderator Superstar

The only issue I can see would be ventilation, where it's designed for air to flow through the heat sinks when the unit is horizontal. If it's not one that tends to get overly warm, you're probably fine. Could always put a fan near it.

3. Towen7

Towen7 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Famous

The manual probably states that the receiver is supposed to be horizontal with xx inches of free space beside and above. While there will be no way to prove how you had it positioned, I'd imagine that placing it vertical would "technically" void the warranty. The equipment was designed to allow hot air to rise and escape through ventilation holes in the chassis. If you re-orient the chassis that airflow pattern doesn't work. Components that didn't get hot because they were a couple of inches away from a heat sink, may now be a couple of inches above it. That dynamic may get said compinent hotter than if it were in it's horizontal position.

I don't think it will be a problem unless your receiver is generating big-time heat like some of Onkyo's used to. Just find a way to get air to any ventilation holes on the side that will now be oriented down. If it's getting hot you can always place a small fan help redirect the hot air.

4. Maximo

Maximo Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Receiver is about 12 years old and is only going to power a small 2.1 energy setup in the bedroom. Shouls be fine then. Thanks!

5. Barney

Barney Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas

I got to listen to some Energy speakers & subs a long time ago. I loved their sound & their subs are wonderful for the price. Big Energy fan here my friend.

6. Maximo

Maximo Well-Known Member

Yeah I likethem. They are the lowest end they have C-50 and ESW-8 but that sound great for the price. <$200 for the 2.1 set. I was suprised at the output of the sub.

7. 4rings4life

4rings4life Active Member

Some electronic components are open topped, the electricity will run out and mess up the carpet if the amp is stood on its side :liar:
    Ben

8. soundhound

soundhound Well-Known Member

The only components which are going to be generating appreciable heat are the output transistors. As noted above, the chassis is designed so that cool air enters at the bottom and is vented through the top, so placing it on its side will defeat this. You can try the side placement and see how hot it gets, and if necessary, use a small fan to force cool the heatsinks, but I think you will be OK if you don't play it extremely loud for extended periods. Amplifiers and receivers usually have a bi-metal thermal cut-out switch attached to the heatsinks to shut the unit down if it gets too hot.

9. Rope

Rope Well-Known Member Famous

:laughing-rolling: :text-lol:

Rope