• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Receiver on it's side

Maximo

Just so I am clear (I know I asked this on the other forum some time ago). There are no deleterious effect to putting a receiver on its side right?

I am planning on putting it in a closet and controlling it with an remote extender. So I don't need to see it.

The only issue I can see would be ventilation, where it's designed for air to flow through the heat sinks when the unit is horizontal. If it's not one that tends to get overly warm, you're probably fine. Could always put a fan near it.

The manual probably states that the receiver is supposed to be horizontal with xx inches of free space beside and above. While there will be no way to prove how you had it positioned, I'd imagine that placing it vertical would "technically" void the warranty. The equipment was designed to allow hot air to rise and escape through ventilation holes in the chassis. If you re-orient the chassis that airflow pattern doesn't work. Components that didn't get hot because they were a couple of inches away from a heat sink, may now be a couple of inches above it. That dynamic may get said compinent hotter than if it were in it's horizontal position.

I don't think it will be a problem unless your receiver is generating big-time heat like some of Onkyo's used to. Just find a way to get air to any ventilation holes on the side that will now be oriented down. If it's getting hot you can always place a small fan help redirect the hot air.

Thanks guys. Receiver is about 12 years old and is only going to power a small 2.1 energy setup in the bedroom. Shouls be fine then. Thanks!

Maximo said:
Thanks guys. Receiver is about 12 years old and is only going to power a small 2.1 energy setup in the bedroom. Shouls be fine then. Thanks!
I got to listen to some Energy speakers & subs a long time ago. I loved their sound & their subs are wonderful for the price. Big Energy fan here my friend.

Yeah I likethem. They are the lowest end they have C-50 and ESW-8 but that sound great for the price. <$200 for the 2.1 set. I was suprised at the output of the sub.

Some electronic components are open topped, the electricity will run out and mess up the carpet if the amp is stood on its side :liar:
Ben

The only components which are going to be generating appreciable heat are the output transistors. As noted above, the chassis is designed so that cool air enters at the bottom and is vented through the top, so placing it on its side will defeat this. You can try the side placement and see how hot it gets, and if necessary, use a small fan to force cool the heatsinks, but I think you will be OK if you don't play it extremely loud for extended periods. Amplifiers and receivers usually have a bi-metal thermal cut-out switch attached to the heatsinks to shut the unit down if it gets too hot.

4rings4life said:
Some electronic components are open topped, the electricity will run out and mess up the carpet if the amp is stood on its side :liar:
Ben

:laughing-rolling: :text-lol:

Rope

Back