• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Remote Issues

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Yes, I changed the batteries!!!

Today I have begun to lose communication with my Onkyo Remote for my AVR.

It appears to me intermittent.

Have any of you guys experiances this???

Frustrating to say the least.

Having just moved my components to a new rack, I'll just throw it out there: have you dusted your AVR lately? :eusa-whistle: :oops:

Too much daylight from windows (coming in toward my gear) has interfered with my remote operation on occasion. Could that be the problem in your room layout?

Other than the obvious problems like batteries or location, IR remote issues are usually due to fluorescent lights, a plasma TV, or sunlight interfering with the sensor. Outside of that you have to start questioning whether the remote or sensor are failing.

I just feel so isolated this time of year. All the joy and happiness of the season is so distant and remote . . .

Oh I'm sorry. I see thought this was about sharing your feelings this holiday season.

Here we go.......................

Onkyo Press Release:

Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted
06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

If your receiver of the above mentioned models experiences the following : Listening modes automatically change one after another. When this problem occurs most commands will not be accepted.

Please contact our Product Support Department at (800) 229-1687, option 3, to confirm that this issue exists in your receiver. If the issue exists you will be given further direction on how to have it serviced.

***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty (this only applies to US and Canada).***

Towen7 said:
Bizarre!

Were your listening modes changing at random too?

No, but the volume knob on the receiver would not work sometimes??

I will contact Onkyo, find out if there is a local repair shop and hope that they don't have the receiver to long? Had some plans for having company over the holidays to watch some concerts and movies on the HT.

It's working fine tonight!!!

Calling Onkyo tomorrow................

On the AVS Forum there is a thread dedicated to my unit and others that have this problem and is caused by a faulty PCB assembly and a Cable Assembly. Supposedly a supplier problem.

I hope that it contines to work thru the Holiday Weekend, Christmas and New Year Weekends.................

EMF would not affect the infrared transmitters and receivers. This is a light transmitter and the EMF is radio based at lower frequencies. Looking at dust on the transmitters and receivers would be a good call. Line of sight is absolute.

Make sure that the children have not left the peanut butter or jelly smeared over the lenses. Or was it the Mac and Cheese?

I hope you had a good holiday. Did you get an answer from the local tech?

Here is an update!

No children, so no peanut butter, however maybe some Mac and Cheese from me.........only joking!

The unit was on the fritz for a couple of weeks and then began to work properly once again.

From understanding that the problem is being caused by a contaminated harness assembly and a Circuit board contamination issue, I can understand the intermittency.

Since I recently updated my 42 plasma to a 59 I am really reluctant to send the Onkyo out for repair at this point in time unless it acts up again and stays functionless.

I will keep you guys posted on the status of this issue.

There is a detailed thread on the AV Science Forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

Here's my update.
The problem wasn't EMF or dust or anything external. It was all in the remote control itself. It's old and started to loose its signal strength even with fresh battery. I went out and bought a Logitech Harmony200 as a replacement and did the programming through computer. The result? Night & day difference!!!

Last night the Onkyo TX-NR708 LOST IT'S MIND!!!!

The receiver has been working fine for months now, however last night it began to scroll thru all of the audio settings, this condition is part of the Service Bulletin symptoms. The only way to get the unit to stop and turn off, was to pull the plug.........

I will call Onkyo today and get ready for the RMA stuff and return the unit.

The real bummer is that there will be NO 5.1 for at least a couple of weeks, which will include the Daytona 500.

I will look for other options to get me thru the next few weeks.

NOOOOO!!!!! Damn Heeman, there's nothing like some pit row in surround too... :teasing-tease:

Is it under warranty?

Yes, it is under warrenty. I just spoke to Onkyo and they are emailing me the RMA and shipping info. I keep all my boxes, so I have the origional box.

Do any of you guys have a loaner AVR with Pre-outs??? I will pay for shipping each way.........

Boy that sucks. I hope they take care of you quickly.

On a side note, Heeman.

I followed you on the Studio 20 speaks
I followed you on the NR708

That's it. I ain't following you down this path. :teasing-neener:

Bob R said:
Boy that sucks. I hope they take care of you quickly.

On a side note, Heeman.

I followed you on the Studio 20 speaks
I followed you on the NR708

That's it. I ain't following you down this path. :teasing-neener:

Just remember that if your Onkyo starts to have remote issues, front panel command issues or looses it's mind, Onkyo will repair it even if it is past the 2 yr warrenty. Most of what I have read, the units start to get flakey within the first year. I hope that yours is fine...........

Back