• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Road Trip List 2

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
So the rules are the opposite of Dentman!

You will be on the road for 8 hrs by yourself.

Anything goes to make the trip audio bliss!

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Yes- Close To The Edge
AC/DC- Back and Black
Deep Purple- Made In Japan
Rush- Hemispheres
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Dio- Holy Diver
Jeff Beck- Blow By Blow
Joe Satiani- Surfing With The Alien
BTI- Not Fragile
Frank Zappa- Joe’s Garage

I will have to catch up with this tomorrow~ a lot of work in the am, and I must get to bed.
Great thread & thought, Keith! :listening:

I just plug in my iPod (yes I still have one) with 9,000 songs on it and hit shuffle.

This ones tougher. Honestly I'm all about podcasts for long rides these days but I'll come up with a list latter.

I was gonna say once an Alexa type device gets integrated into cars, this becomes a moot point, but I'm not sure Sirius will allow that to ever happen.

I was gonna say once an Alexa type device gets integrated into cars, this becomes a moot point, but I'm not sure Sirius will allow that to ever happen.

You mean my phone? I prefer using my phone over a car's streaming features because I will use the phone everywhere, not just in the car.

You mean my phone? I prefer using my phone over a car's streaming features because I will use the phone everywhere, not just in the car.
Can you use it hands free? I'm truly asking because I've seen that feature on the Alexa app but have never tried it.
I guess it would already be pretty easy to pair a dot with the vehicles bluetooth, use a power inverter to power it, and either use the cars wifi if it has it, or your phone as a hot spot.

I have two listening modes: 1) Random of all the songs from the music I chose to own; and 2) Based on mood, really enjoying specific albums I want to listen to all the way through.

When doing random, I like the variety and am often surprised to be reminded of stuff I like I had looked over or even forgotten. Fidelity and focus are not critical, so even average quality MP3s are more than good enough. I use my phone which contains about 80% of all my music on it.

When doing album listening, I do entire albums end to end. Usually this is for focused and highly engaged listening and are good for long road trips, especially on routes I know well and have long stretches of nothing (like anything in West Texas, all of New Mexico, and all of Arizona. I have about a dozen go to albums I love, kinda like my desert island list which consists of:
  • The Who: Quadrophenia
  • Brian Wilson Presents Smile
  • Kansas: Leftoverture
  • Electric Light Orchestra: Out of the Blue
  • Supertramp: Crime of the Century
  • Elvis Costello: My Aim is True
  • Jason Falkner: Author Unknown
  • Kate Bush: Aerial
  • Genesis: Trick of the Tale
  • Transatlantic: SMPTE

and much more....

But, I prefer album listening when I am in the mood to really listen to music for real. I've learned I am the odd man out on this subject as I constantly hear that everyone I know and respect cannot just put a CD in a listen to it all the way through without touching the skip button. I am the opposite, I put the CD in and let it play all the way through and get pissed off if anything prevents or interferes with the end to end experience.

Last edited:
Can you use it hands free? I'm truly asking because I've seen that feature on the Alexa app but have never tried it.
I guess it would already be pretty easy to pair a dot with the vehicles bluetooth, use a power inverter to power it, and either use the cars wifi if it has it, or your phone as a hot spot.

Yes, I can speak to my phone via Google Assistant, Bixby, or Cortana while driving. I usually use Cortana. I can also skip tracks via the steering wheel controls.

With my list and I'm assuming this one as well you need to pretend we have no play lists, streaming things or the like. If it was like years ago when people enjoyed albums what records, on tape obviously would you listen to to drive across country.
Please fellas this isn't complicated stuff.

With my list and I'm assuming this one as well you need to pretend we have no play lists, streaming things or the like. If it was like years ago when people enjoyed albums what records, on tape obviously would you listen to to drive across country.
Please fellas this isn't complicated stuff.
I agree Jack, but if I'm on a long road trip, I want as many choices as possible. That's why I brought up Alexa.

I agree Jack, but if I'm on a long road trip, I want as many choices as possible. That's why I brought up Alexa.
I'd go crazy on a long road trip these days with no podcasts to listen to so I understand.

My 5
1. David Bowie, David Live at the Tower.
2. Zep, Physical Grafiti
3. The Who Tommy
4. Jethro Tull, Songs from the Wood.
5. Da Da, Puzzle

My iPod plugs directly into a USB connection in the car and I can control with buttons on the steering wheel.

My iPod plugs directly into a USB connection in the car and I can control with buttons on the steering wheel.

But what would be the most ideal content selection for a long, lonely road trip? Would you truly prefer shuffling whatever is on the iPod for many hours, or would you select specific artists, genres, songs, or albums for the experience.

Personally, on long trips I prefer curating a selections of full albums, because my love of what the artists did in the broad genre of rock over the past 50 years is far more entertaining, engaging, spiritually fulfilling, and soul-repairing than random crap I happen to like.

But that's me.

But what would be the most ideal content selection for a long, lonely road trip? Would you truly prefer shuffling whatever is on the iPod for many hours, or would you select specific artists, genres, songs, or albums for the experience.

Personally, on long trips I prefer curating a selections of full albums, because my love of what the artists did in the broad genre of rock over the past 50 years is far more entertaining, engaging, spiritually fulfilling, and soul-repairing than random crap I happen to like.

But that's me.

I have a number of different playlists some are artist specific, some genre and some mood. I would pick one of those based on the trip and my mood.

Back