• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

ROCK Music

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Figured I'd start this thread off with a brand new CD from a brand new band:

Black Country Communion is a devastating head-on collision between American and British rock influences — a true supergroup that delivers a titanic rock experience greater than the sum of its supremely talented parts.

The seed for Black Country Communion was planted when legendary frontman and bass guitarist Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Trapeze) and master blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa combined forces on stage in Los Angeles in November 2009 for an explosive performance at Guitar Center’s King of the Blues event.

The brainchild of producer Kevin Shirley (Black Crowes, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin), the band added to its rock lineage with powerhouse drummer Jason Bonham (Led Zeppelin, Foreigner) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater, Billy Idol, Alice Cooper). Named after the industrial area in Britain where both Hughes and Bonham were born and raised, Black Country Communion began rehearsing and recording tracks written by both Bonamassa and Hughes at Shangri-La Studios in early 2010. Their debut Self Titled Album, will release on September 21, 2010 in the States on the J&R Adventures Label and September 20, 2010 in Europe on Mascot Records. The band is planning a tour of select venues in 2011.

Just got this in the mail today - preordered a while ago so I got it before the official release date - and am listening now. Also comes with a "bonus DVD" with some videos and interviews. Definitely a rock album, not blues, hence this thread. So far so good!

OMG! It's that Bossonova dude again! :scared-yipes:

I'm beginning to think you have a crush on that guy. :romance-inlove:

:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: Well I admit there's some truth to that, I've been in a "JB can do no wrong" phase for a little while now, but hey we all have our favorites that resonate with us in some particular way. Bonamassa ( :teasing-knob: ) has impressed me more than most of late. I'll spare you a long exposition of his virtues but suffice it to say that I think musically he's a lot more interesting than most contemporary rock/blues types.

Nats, this is a good album, I'm just finishing up the last track now on my first listen through the whole CD. There's some hard-hitting rock in here, but also some subtlety that most rock bands lack (IMNSHO). Definitely a keeper. SQ is good, in keeping with JB's recent albums; though interestingly in this album I think the drums might be a little understated, esp. for the more hard rock style. Dunno if that's just an artistic decision in order to avoid "banging you over the head" with the drum beat, which can certainly be a failing...

Anyway I'm rambling now. I'll post some more after listening to it a few more times.

PaulyT said:
I've been in a "JB can do no wrong" phase for a little while now...
Oooooo, it's JB now, is it? Well, be careful not to let your infatuation cause some sort of dyslexic Freudian slip next time you're fantasizing abou, er, um, praising him. :eusa-whistle:

Hey now, watch out or you may start making me mildly irritated. :violence-fencing:

Come on now, don't be that way. If you can't bust your friend's balls, whose can you bust?

:mrgreen: Ok I'll change my smiley: :violence-duel:

its funny you got that today,local radio station is going to have 1 of the band members on tommorow morning(1st i heard of it) then you say you got it.-- thanks for the review--gonna get it

Cool. Listened to it a bit more this evening, though it was only in the car (on the way to yoga class ;)), and I think my impression of understated drums still holds. Both the principal writers/singers are guitarists (Hughes does the bass), so it's a fairly vocal and guitar-centric album. Can barely even tell there's a keyboardist through most of it... but somehow "hard rock keyboards" just doesn't jive anyway. :? But it all fits together nicely. The drummer is indeed very good, and does some interesting things (like at the end of track 6), but you have to listen for it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not that driving BOOM BOOM over which you can barely hear anything instrumental, that characterizes a lot of hard rock IMHO.

cant wait to hear this,there has been so little rock in the last 20 years that i want to own,not knocking it but newer rock seems to be mostly chords and meaningful lyrics( who needs meaningful lyrics lol )for me its ok to listen in the car but in the listening room i want harder instrumentals(product of 70s rock) one of the few rock cds ive bought latley is "back door slam" sound like a 70s band but the lead singer/guitarist is in his very early 20s

Aahhhhhhhh!!!

Seal-Seal-6-Commitment-518858.jpg

My favorite male voice in all of music has finally released another album, and its his own songs/style, (unlike the last CD of worn-out soul covers). Only about a third of the way thru it, but it sounds wonderful!! I'm a happy dude today! :dance: :dance: :dance:

downloaded new santana release - Guitar Heaven... here's the set list...highly recommend... check out the songs and who he brought in... similar to super natural concept... # 4 and 6 are real varitions

1. Whole Lotta Love featuring Chris Cornell (Led Zeppelin)
2. Can't You Hear Me Knockin featuring Scott Weiland (The Rolling Stones)
3. Sunshine Of Your Love featuring Rob Thomas (Cream)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps featuring india.arie and Yo-Yo Ma (The Beatles)
5. Photograph featuring Chris Daughtry (Def Leppard)
6. Back In Black featuring Nas (AC/DC)
7. Riders On the Storm featuring Chester Bennington and Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
8. Smoke On the Water featuring Jacoby Shaddix (Deep Purple)
9. Dance the Night Away featuring Pat Monahan (Van Halen)
10. Bang A Gong featuring Gavin Rossdale (T. Rex)
11. Little Wing featuring Joe Cocker (Jimi Hendrix)
12. I Ain't Superstitious featuring Jonny Lang (Howlin' Wolf, Jeff Beck Group)
13. Fortunate Son featuring Scott Stapp (Credence Clearwater Revival) *
14. Under the Bridge featuring Andy Vargas (Red Hot Chili Peppers) *

Gil Scott-Heron, just in time for Halloween:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OET8SVAGELA[/youtube]

Pauly, I just learned today that Black Country has Derek Sherinian on keys (Dream Theater, Ozzy, Alice Cooper), I'll definitely be picking that one up! :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
Aahhhhhhhh!!!

Seal-Seal-6-Commitment-518858.jpg

My favorite male voice in all of music has finally released another album, and its his own songs/style, (unlike the last CD of worn-out soul covers). Only about a third of the way thru it, but it sounds wonderful!! I'm a happy dude today! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Huge Seal fan here. How does that album compare to Human Beings or the '94 album?

Botch said:
Pauly, I just learned today that Black Country has Derek Sherinian on keys (Dream Theater, Ozzy, Alice Cooper), I'll definitely be picking that one up! :handgestures-thumbup:

Well, now, if you had actually read my first post in this thread, you woulda figured that out a little earlier. :angry-tappingfoot:

Well, to answer my own question, I got a little bit of time to sample the tracks from the new Seal album. Personally, from what little I heard, I don't think it's going to come close to Human Beings, but it still seems worth the money. I got the deluxe edition with the DVD and two bonus tracks. Hoping it will come in before the weekend. I also got Seal IV on CD used for about $4 (also have the DVD-A)

It sounds a bit different than his past albums and after looking around, I see David Foster produced this album instead of Trevor Horn. Didn't know those had two "split up".

Sowwy about not yet answering you both.

Pauly, guilty as charged... :oops:

Yesfan, you've already nailed the major difference. Less synths, more strings, a la Mr. Foster. Still great songs and vocal performances.

Back