• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku 4

John, my Marantz doesn't pass through 4K HDCP 2.2.
I just rechecked and now I'm getting 5.1 audio. I had made adjustments in the settings (to auto) so I guess it reset after it did the power off after 30 minutes of no action.
I'm warching the power off because some are saying the 4 won't power back up after it powers off (they have to unplug & replug to do a reboot). Mine hasn't done that yet, does take a few seconds to power up with just turning on my TV .

Edit: I found out my Marantz was in a movie mode for audio. I reset it to auto so it will output whatever it gets and now the audio is stereo on this program on Amazon.
Suggestions for a stream from Amazon or Netflix that you do get 5.1 so I can see if I get 5.1 on my Roku 4.
I've read that alot of folks are complaining about Amazon not streaming 5.1 audio and Netflix too but I can't remember a show/movie that streams with 5.1.

Barney said:
Edit: I found out my Marantz was in a movie mode for audio. I reset it to auto so it will output whatever it gets and now the audio is stereo on this program on Amazon.
Suggestions for a stream from Amazon or Netflix that you do get 5.1 so I can see if I get 5.1 on my Roku 4.
I've read that alot of folks are complaining about Amazon not streaming 5.1 audio and Netflix too but I can't remember a show/movie that streams with 5.1.
I believe that Hell on Wheels on Netflix is 5.1.

John

Arrow and Flash are both 5.1 DD+ (with my Roku 3).

Barney

Man in the High Castle is coming across 5.1 with my Roku 3 connected HDMI to my Onkyo SC5508.

What are your audio setting on the Roku 4? Are they Settings>Audio>Audio mode and select "Auto"?

The Roku is set to stereo by default if I remember correctly. You have to change it in the settings menu.

EDIT: Also under Settings>Audio>HDMI make sure it is set to "Auto Detect"

My settings for audio are auto(Dolby D, DTS) and the HDMI and S/PDIF is set to auto detect.
I'll check ya'lls suggestions for the other movies.
Edit: Checked The Flash (Netflix) only stereo on the Roku 4 but using the app on my TV get 5.1. Checked High Castle, 5.1 on the app. This all is with using the HDMI ARC connection between TV and the Marantz.
I need to find a better location for the Roku 4, was on top of our WiiU and the bottom got warm enough to turn on the internal fan. Then I will try using a optical cable to the Marantz and recheck.
Thanks guys for the help. By the way, you can hear the internal fan but it cools off pretty fast if it has some area underneath. Think I have some felt pads.
Another thing on the settings, I unchecked the option to have it set to power down after 30 minutes so I don't have to power it up/hard reboot/etc to wake it up.

Barney said:
Snake Dr, are you getting 5.1 audio with your Roku 4 ? Reason I ask, with The Man in the High Castle on Amazon I'm getting 2.1 audio although the info of the show has 5.1.
If you are getting 5.1 audio on anything, please let me know what show (Netflix or Amazon).
I'm using my HDMI ARC connection for audio between my TV and av receiver and connecting my Roku 4 HDMI to my SUHD that supports 4K HDCP 2.2 . I know that HDMI ARC doesn't support lossless newer audio codecs but does support compressed 5.1 ( DD, DD+, DTS).
My Marantz SR5009 does pass through 4K HDCP 2.2 video. If I have to, I will buy a powered HDMI splitter and connect one output to my Marantz (for audio) and the other output to my SUHD. Or guys, could I just connect my Roku 4 and Marantz with a optical cable for 5.1 audio ?
Just trying to see if how I have it connected now if it works.

I am getting 5.1 audio on most everything. I set the Roku 4 to auto...now I run everything through a prepro. We watched Stay'n Alive the other night and the sound was great. Have you tried connecting directly to your TV?

I would think the Roku would pull down whatever audio is being broadcast, let me know.

Well, tried using the optical connection from the Roku 4 to my Marantz but still just get stereo. So I ran the HDMI out of the Roku 4 to my Marantz and now get 5.1 audio.
Now I guess I need a powered HDMI splitter so I can run one HDMI from the splitter to my Marantz for audio and another HDMI to my Samsung 4K SUHD for the video. Splitter is cheaper than a new receiver.

Barney said:
Well, tried using the optical connection from the Roku 4 to my Marantz but still just get stereo. So I ran the HDMI out of the Roku 4 to my Marantz and now get 5.1 audio.
Now I guess I need a powered HDMI splitter so I can run one HDMI from the splitter to my Marantz for audio and another HDMI to my Samsung 4K SUHD for the video. Splitter is cheaper than a new receiver.

Monoprice is your friend.

Sorta on-topic: I got a sales email from Roku today, all four models on sale. The Roku I and II are now built into the "curved" case of the III; wouldn't have thought that a change like that would've been economical. :think:

Haywood said:
Monoprice is your friend.

Scott, Monoprice doesn't offer a HDMI v2.0/HDCP 2.2/lossless audio compliant splitter (I could be wrong though but the owners manuel is dated 2013, they just kinda got the specs for HDMI v2.0, HDCP 2.2 etc just this year). Panlong did but according to Amazon its no longer available (I emailed Panlong support about the splitter). So far every HDMI splitter I've seen only does at best is HDMI v1.4. If anyone knows about a HDMI v2.0 splitter that doesn't cost an arm & leg let me know.

Thanks Pauly ! I have an email to monoprice about their products and also to Panlong. That other splitter, Revesun, is made & shipped from China, so I'll wait and see what monoprice or Panlong suggests.

There are a couple of splitters that look basically identical to the panalong/revesun, that I see in my "people who looked at this item also bought..." list.

Got an email from Tech support from Panlong, "unfortunately, they don't offer any splitters that support 4K and HDCP 2.2 right now"
Still waiting on monoprice to answer my email.

This is why I am more or less planning to replace my receiver when I replace my TV or shortly thereafter, with the current leader of the pack being the Marantz SR7010. Too much has changed and my Onkyo TX-SR805 is getting a bit long in the tooth. This is not a small technology shift, but a seismic change that cascades across the board.

Scott, I think they all agreed on the HDR codec in the last couple of months so now all the manufacturers are designing their 4K disc players which may start showing up early spring.
I'm not in a hurry to get a 4K HDMI splitter & not going to spend $200 to get one because there isn't a ton of 4K stuff out there (not upgrading my Netflix account yet ).
Haven't heard from monoprice yet. Some think it might be the issue with the license in regards to HDCP2.2 . That and needing at least HDMI 2.0 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just chatted with monoprice. They don't have a HDMI v2.0 that is HDCP2.2 compliant at this time. Guess maybe next year when the UHD 4K bluray players are out there may be more options.

Back