• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Roku vs Firestick and Live TV

I think I am getting screwed by ATT on my internet. I don't know how many mbps is needed stream a couple of tv's and a iPad without a lot of buffering? Actually, I believe I am paying for more than what I am getting. I complained and they sent me a new router/modem and it has helped but I am at the high end for what you can pay for internet service.

I think I am getting screwed by ATT on my internet. I don't know how many mbps is needed stream a couple of tv's and a iPad without a lot of buffering? Actually, I believe I am paying for more than what I am getting. I complained and they sent me a new router/modem and it has helped but I am at the high end for what you can pay for internet service.
You can check your internet speed at speedtest.net if you don't think you are getting what you are paying for.

I have done that, but what I don't understand is what mbps would be adequate. Is there any thing that would give me an idea?
Just depends on what you are trying to stream. A 4K stream from Netflix usually needs 7 to 11 mbps but I've seen it go as high as 15.

If you’re an AT&T customer I suggest using the app Smart Home Manager to run a speed test to the gateway. This helps verify the service without all the connections inside the home. Assuming that test shows your getting what youre paying for you can use Speedtest.net or other services to test to your device.

Speedtest to my phone using my wireless connection while simultaneously streaming to two TVs using the AT&T TVnow app.

AT&T FTTP service

4FDDFA75-0F89-49D9-83A1-7A9E7AFDFA50.jpeg

If you’re an AT&T customer I suggest using the app Smart Home Manager to run a speed test to the gateway. This helps verify the service without all the connections inside the home. Assuming that test shows your getting what youre paying for you can use Speedtest.net or other services to test to your device.

Here’s why I suggested the Smart Home Manager app if you’re an AT&T customer. You can see speed results to your modem and then see a health check map of all your connected devices. It’s very handy if you’re experiencing issues. You’re typically going to get about 1/2 the full speed when using a wireless connection. If not you can see that the quality of the WiFi connection between your modem/gateway and the actual device. Here you can see that despite having my full speed to the gateway (1Mbps) that there are two witless devices with a less than ideal connection. Those devices aren’t going to get the best possible WiFi speeds.

Zooming in I can see exactly what devices they are.

F408F838-ADF0-4D2D-87A4-09FCE13DA643.jpeg

40274F5D-CD6B-4CA7-9526-7CCB31160031.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been testing the speeds here and I get nothing close to what you are perhaps they are telling me one thing and it is something else. Now to dig deeper. Thank you

So I decided to actually look at the connections that AT&T had setup. What a dumb ass I was believing what I was told instead of checking it out for myself, there was no way I could get the speeds they had me paying for. So I dropped them and went with another service and much happier with the speeds.

Bumping an old thread, but need to ask a related question: is there a free Roku app out there, that would give me my local channels? I just upgraded to the Ultra, but I do have, in the box, the newest FireTV 4K stick, but it will be a pain to get it set up behind my TV (it will need the A/C adapter), and I know of ways to get everything free or near-free with it, but if I could just get CBS, NBC, and ABC live through the Roku, I wouldn't even have to bother with the stick (I can get CNN and the cooking shows and other things free thru the Roku now). Thanks!

The easiest way to get locals with a streaming device is to use a service like YouTube live or Hulu or AT&Ttv.

The easiest way to get locals with a streaming device is to use a service like YouTube live or Hulu or AT&Ttv.
Agreed, but last time I checked those services were over half the cost of my Dish TV already.
It's frustrating to me, all I want are the three (formerly) major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) (I can get PBS over the 'net) and 10 years ago I could get all three OTA, with a brilliant picture. I can't, anymore, and am frustrated that I'd have to pay $50+ to get them, monthly, and still have to sit thru those inane commercials.
Sorry I'm bitter, I'll get better tomorrow... :suspicious:

Agreed, but last time I checked those services were over half the cost of my Dish TV already.
It's frustrating to me, all I want are the three (formerly) major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) (I can get PBS over the 'net) and 10 years ago I could get all three OTA, with a brilliant picture. I can't, anymore, and am frustrated that I'd have to pay $50+ to get them, monthly, and still have to sit thru those inane commercials.

I get it. I feel the same way. But it is what it is.

Bumping an old thread, but need to ask a related question: is there a free Roku app out there, that would give me my local channels? I just upgraded to the Ultra, but I do have, in the box, the newest FireTV 4K stick, but it will be a pain to get it set up behind my TV (it will need the A/C adapter), and I know of ways to get everything free or near-free with it, but if I could just get CBS, NBC, and ABC live through the Roku, I wouldn't even have to bother with the stick (I can get CNN and the cooking shows and other things free thru the Roku now). Thanks!

Botch is back!!!! A did a double and triple take when I saw your post! Good to see you back on here :)

Unfortunately without spending money you are out of luck.

I use the Ultra and am in the same boat. I do get my CBS local but that is because I get CBS Access. The suckiest of the streaming apps.

What is the reason you can't get OTA anymore?

Back