• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

ROKU

Rope

Famous
Free channel addition to ROKU line up: Crackle. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

-B- said:
Got that email today, try it yet?

I'm watching "I Know What You Did Last Summer" right now. PQ is better than Netflix, although, selection is limited.

Rope

Rope said:
-B- said:

I'm watching "I Know What You Did Last Summer" right now. PQ is better than Netflix, although, selection is limited.

Rope

Is it free or pay? I didn't read much into it

Rope said:
-B- said:

Rope

It's buggy on my Roku, won't let me exit a show/movie unless I hit the "home" button.

Didn't see much of interest plus commercials.

Cool! I'm glad I held off on buying one so far. Couple questions:
1. Can I pay for individual channels from cable, like Food Network, Cooking Channel, Speed, Travel Channel?
2. Can I get shows from PBS, like Steve Raichlen, Yan Can Cook, Wood Craft, etc?
3. Do the old networks (CBS, ABC, etc) come thru on the Roku?

Thanks!

Botch said:
Cool! I'm glad I held off on buying one so far. Couple questions:
1. Can I pay for individual channels from cable, like Food Network, Cooking Channel, Speed, Travel Channel?
2. Can I get shows from PBS, like Steve Raichlen, Yan Can Cook, Wood Craft, etc?
3. Do the old networks (CBS, ABC, etc) come thru on the Roku?

Thanks!

No to all of the above. The "channels" on an Internet TV device are not like traditional channels, they are more like Netflix's streaming service app. You lauc the "channel" and select a program hosted by that channel. Sme channels are free and others charge a small fee. While traditional cable networks like Food Network, Speed Channel, etc. can launch an Internet TV channel they have not so far. For me the primary use of the Roku is as a simple way to access Netflix. Almost all of the other channels are of no interest to me.

Thanks Tom.
I almost bought a TiVo last weekend until I learned I HAD to buy their $20/mo "programming" service; guess I'll just go with Komkrap for now...

The TiVo is a lot more flexible than the DVRs used by the TV providers. I'm just nit convinced the flexibility is worth the price.

yay!!!

girlfriend and i just bought the roku x2 (the newest version), selected this for the lan connectivity, not angry birds (gad i hate that game)...

i wanted to get the $99 version, just in case the internal wifi dies out, i have a way to get it working.

so, since i bought it from best buy, instead of amazon, just in case.

will report my findings later on.

any quick tips folks? id love to capitalize on this.

heres a link to a review..

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/07/roku-2-xs-review/

jomari said:
yay!!!

girlfriend and i just bought the roku x2 (the newest version), selected this for the lan connectivity, not angry birds (gad i hate that game)...

i wanted to get the $99 version, just in case the internal wifi dies out, i have a way to get it working.

so, since i bought it from best buy, instead of amazon, just in case.

will report my findings later on.

any quick tips folks? id love to capitalize on this.

heres a link to a review..

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/07/roku-2-xs-review/

Congrats. I think you'll like it I really enjoy mine.

I don't have the newest version but the old XDS

One thing I can suggest is take a good look at channels besides NF. There are some nice offerings ( and some real stinkers too).

I especially like the "Roku News Channel" that offers many different news programs from around the world. Also Crackle isn't bad.

its been ages since ive watched a full movie.

for those who may not understand me, i would love to have the chance to sit down, immerse myself and watch a movie. straight up. instead i have to cook, clean and well, stand up sometimes to do something.

last night we slept at around 2am, finishing red planet via amazon streaming.

which adds a conundrum

i have around 4 devices at home that have streaming - ps3, wdtv live, two blu-ray players that stream netflix. but thats the thing - it only does netflix.

does it justify purchasing or keeping my roku to primarily stream amazon, thinking that inevitably, the ps3 MIGHT get amazon along the way.

sure its only a hundred bucks, but still, its a hundred bucks.

anyhoo, heading out soon...

quick question - it has a usb port, but dont know how to use my hard drive or access it. i tried but nothing happened. i know its not 'maximized' yet, but im curious. i want to see if it streams my stuff 480p only.

*edit - apparently, i have to download a roku usb movie channel. :D*

lastly, mzpro - i love crackle, it looks cool!

Back