• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Room layout, what to do?

Good news is I may wind up having a movie poster overlayed on a panel so it isn't just a blank space so design plus functionality

Good news is I may wind up having a movie poster overlayed on a panel so it isn't just a blank space so design plus functionality

That's a great way to add absorption without killing the aesthetics in the room. Just know that a poster will reflect everything in the treble range while passing sound through in the midrange and lower. As such, don't put a poster over the panels placed at the first reflection points (side walls, ceiling, rear wall).

That's a great way to add absorption without killing the aesthetics in the room. Just know that a poster will reflect everything in the treble range while passing sound through in the midrange and lower. As such, don't put a poster over the panels placed at the first reflection points (side walls, ceiling, rear wall).
No it will be printed artwork over a panel with same performance as one not printed on.

No it will be printed artwork over a panel with same performance as one not printed on.

Oh. that's different. I took the term "overlaid" as to mean a paper poster was being placed in front of the sound absorbing material.

It is still a practical means of improving midrange and mid-bass in a room by putting a 2" thick panel behind a picture frame or poster pretty much anywhere in the room (other than a first reflection point).

Oh. that's different. I took the term "overlaid" as to mean a paper poster was being placed in front of the sound absorbing material.

It is still a practical means of improving midrange and mid-bass in a room by putting a 2" thick panel behind a picture frame or poster pretty much anywhere in the room (other than a first reflection point).
This will be first reflection point but I wanted something nicer looking than just a panel. Was thinking Waterworld or Ishtar

I am getting close to getting a subwoofer and wanted to place it between the speaker and the stand. Issue is the acoustic panel rests on the wall not high enough so the 23" height of the sub doesn't flush to the wall. How low or high should the 2x4 panels be on the front wall? If the back is where the plug goes I'm guessing I need room for the RCA and plug anyway. The subwoofer is 22" deep. Not sure if the wife will freak on this sub and its size.

I cannot seem to figure out what you are saying about the panel, but the ideal placement of the panel is directly behind the speaker's mid-woofer (whichever driver is operating in the 100Hz to 500Hz range). If you are talking about raising the panel, go ahead as long as it is still behind the woofer of the satellite. Do the same for both speakers.

I cannot seem to figure out what you are saying about the panel, but the ideal placement of the panel is directly behind the speaker's mid-woofer (whichever driver is operating in the 100Hz to 500Hz range). If you are talking about raising the panel, go ahead as long as it is still behind the woofer of the satellite. Do the same for both speakers.
You have answered my question. I will have to see how high up the mid is. It is a 2 1/2 way speaker but once a sub is introduced and speakers set to small, the 3rd and lowest driver won't play? Confirming

You have answered my question. I will have to see how high up the mid is. It is a 2 1/2 way speaker but once a sub is introduced and speakers set to small, the 3rd and lowest driver won't play? Confirming

I don't know... which speaker is it?

Paradigm Monitor 9

All of the woofers will be operating even when set to "small" in the receiver. The lower woofers operate from the lowest bass up to about 700Hz, making that the speaker(s) to get put the absorption panel behind.

Okay, I'm looking at my right wall by the entry door way. I put up a mirror leaned on the wall and the reflection point seems to be closer to the doorway than thought. Basically it would be under the light switch. So then if I wanted, I guess I could place a 1'x4' panel under there and possibly one above. Then have a 2 x 4 panel be the next over but raised slightly.

Does this sound right? How much width would I need of treatments (how far along the wall).

For above the light switch, I'm a little concerned on hitting the wire when drilling.

For above the light switch, I'm a little concerned on hitting the wire when drilling.

You should be.
Odds are that the box for the light switch and wiring is nailed to a stud right next to the switch. The wiring to the box should be stapled to the stud.

What are you using to hang your panels? A picture of where exactly youre putting them may help.

There are two reflection points on that wall, one for the right speaker and one for the left. Be sure both are thoroughly addressed.

How far back? As much as possible, but not past approximately where your feet/knees are when seated in the ideal spot.

There are two reflection points on that wall, one for the right speaker and one for the left. Be sure both are thoroughly addressed.

How far back? As much as possible, but not past approximately where your feet/knees are when seated in the ideal spot.
Okay, thank you

If there's a light switch, and that's above ear level then I won't need above switch, correct?

Also, if you are using multiple panels, they don't have to be touching. As long as the perfect reflection points are covered, you can put a few inches between panels to expand the area they can cover. In fact, you can go up to 4 to 6 inches between panels.

You should be.
Odds are that the box for the light switch and wiring is nailed to a stud right next to the switch. The wiring to the box should be stapled to the stud.

What are you using to hang your panels? A picture of where exactly youre putting them may help.
Below there shouldn't be any wiring correct? First floor and it's a ranch home

Below there shouldn't be any wiring correct?

Normally the wiring for a switch comes from above and exits the top of the box but not always. Its possible that the wire feeding that switch also feeds other circuits like outlets below.

You can take the switch plate off and look inside the box to see which directions the wires enter/leave. If the house was wired to code the wiring is stapled to the studs. So if you drive a fastener into an empty wall cavity and stay a foot above or below the switch and couple of inches to side of the studs you should be fine. Some stud finders can also detect live electric lines.

Here's the panel I just got but probably will use a 1x4 panel then this one

rps20180207_194837.jpg
Then this is the door opening with right speaker by it. There's no door.
rps20180207_195146.jpg

Back