• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rory Block's Mother Marian

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
PaulyT said:
And the song "Mother Marian" - WOW! I haven't been hit that hard emotionally by a song for quite some time. Not sure what it is about it exactly, not just the lyrics, not just the music, but somehow both and Rory's performance of it, just nails me.

This was a post I made in another thread, but I wanted to separate it out into its own thread. I've listened to this song several more times, and the intensity of the emotional reaction it brings up in me has only grown. This is weird to me, and it fascinates me, and I don't understand it. I'm not normally a particularly emotional person. But this song touches something way, way down, and as I listened again today, I tried to grasp why it yanks at me as much as it does, but failed - I just don't know. The closest thing I can think of to explain the experience is like (from what I imagine) you're with a psychiatrist and he/she is bringing up your inmost persona - not the greatest pain or the greatest joy, but somehow all of it together.

I listened to the song this morning in the car on the way to my yoga class, and had to sit in the car for a few minutes before going inside, in order to compose myself. And I listened to it a bit ago here at home, in an empty house so I could "let it all come out" without embarrassing myself - because I admit, with some hesitation, that I cried my eyes out. Not just a tear or two but all out sobbing, like I haven't experienced since my mom died ~8 years ago. And no there's no direct connection between this song and my mom or anything else in my life. The only thing I can come up with is that it's somehow - to me - a perfect combination of music, performance - just Rory and her guitar, nothing unusually fancy, but beautifully sung; and lyrics telling a story of deep sadness and deep beauty at the same time. And "beauty" is not even the right word here, more like a feeling of rightness, awe even, sort of a "that's how it should be" thing despite the sadness. Again I'm struggling for words here, it's inadequate. A "perfect storm" of a song as it relates to me.

I'm sure if any of you heard the song, you'd be left wondering what the big deal was. This is very, very personal, and I've NEVER before experienced anything as powerful as this in reaction to music. I'm writing this really more to try to understand it myself, introspective nerd that I am, than in expectation that any of you will get the same reaction from the song.

(Though the whole album is good, I certainly recommend it. I'm becoming a big fan of hers.)

Anyway, there it is, all out there for you to see. Yeah, PaulyT cried like a little girl. :crying-yellow:

I've got Rory's autobiography, I'm curious to see if this is based on her own life and relationship with a person as described in this song.

And yeah, I'm deliberately leaving out detail on the story of the song itself. Go listen to it. ;)

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Music Pauly!

You have now graduated!

To what? I don't have a clue, but here you are and I think it is a great thing!

....and what, men can't cry? Wrong! We just do it when least expected and usually when touched by something very unexpected.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it helps us all to know that we don't always know and that is okay!

Dennie

PS I'm leaving out the many, many jokes, because I know what your talking about and have had similar experiences. I still don't really have a clue why and don't care, it is experience that matters, not why!

Let me add....

"Music soothes the savage beast"!

You savage beast you! :bow-blue:

Dennie

Again PS It is fun watching you grow as a human! Congratulations Paul! Listening to music is much different that actually Hearing Music! :eusa-clap:

Paul, you may be beating your head against a wall trying to understand why this happens but, trust me, don't. Just be thankful that this type of thing happens. It's validation that you're real, human and have emotion. I think many of us have (or at one time had) our own Mother Marian. For me, it was The Greatest Discovery by Elton John. There's no valid, justifiable or tangible reason why that song used to affect me the way it, it just did. And for being an over-analytical person, I never once asked "Why?'.

:laughing: Well the first thing that popped into my head when reading your response was, "Hmmm I wonder what it is about Zing that made him react to the song that way?" I can't help it. (That's a good song, too, BTW.)

Usually there's some sort of connection. Whether it's apparent or not isn't immediately known.

I have a friend who's a rough and tumble macho kind of guy who typically likes the harder, edgier rock. A dozen or so years ago he was big into Creed. When "With Arms Wide Open" was released as a single, it was easily his least favorite Creed song. Since then he's gotten married and become a father. When his first son was born, I asked him whether that song had any more meaning to him. His response? "Meaning? I can't hear the first 2 notes of that song anymore without crying harder than Carter (his son)!" Then he punched me. Then I noticed his eyes welling up.

Ok, I'm a moron - I just looked at the liner notes for this album, which I hadn't yet read because I took the CD+case into the car right after ripping it into the music library. (This is unusual for me; usually I read the liner notes when I first listen to a new album.) Just brought it in and opened it up and there's a bunch of pictures of Marian Van Ness (1900-1997) and her family, and the complete lyrics to the song - several pages's worth because it's a long song. Very nice. So yes, it seems it's a true story.

Dennie said:
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Music Pauly!

You have now graduated!

To what? I don't have a clue, but here you are and I think it is a great thing!
:text-goodpost: Perfectly Stated!

I've got two songs that do that to me, every time. The first is "Say Goodbye", by Seal. I know why that one hits me, I got that CD about the time my two Corgis died (within 3 months of each other).
The other, is "Another Park, Another Sunday" by the Doobie Brothers.
freak.gif
It's a sad song, about a broken love affair, but I've never really had my heart broken and I shouldn't relate at all.
But I do.
:think:

EDIT: ...and I've added Rory's CD to my list. :handgestures-thumbup:

I'll have to pick up "Confessions Of A Blues Singer"

Yes, Rory has the ability with her voice and songs/music to really move you, in several directions.

... been a fan for some years now. ~ I think she's great! (special)

(glad you're enjoying her music too . . )
~ :handgestures-thumbup:

ps - you might want to check out her 2005 Telarc release
From the Dust

. . . forgot to mention ~ the song Amazing Grace chokes me up every time.

And John Lennon's 'Let It Be' is very moving for me also . . ,

topper said:
. . . forgot to mention ~ the song Amazing Grace chokes me up every time.

And John Lennon's 'Let It Be' is very moving for me also . . ,
Oh yeah, both of them! :handgestures-thumbup:

topper said:
From the Dust

Thanks, I'll look that one up. I've also got Sisters&Brothers with her, Maria Muldaur, and Eric Bibb. Haven't listened to it yet - but soon. I know that one's been posted here once or twice already.

From what I've perceived of your tastes in blues I think you''ll like 'Sisters and Brothers' . . . . . a lot.

:music-listening:

PaulyT said:
topper said:
From the Dust

Thanks, I'll look that one up. I've also got Sisters&Brothers with her, Maria Muldaur, and Eric Bibb. Haven't listened to it yet - but soon. I know that one's been posted here once or twice already.
When I added it to my Amazon cart I noticed she has a DVD concert out too, and she is rather easy on the eyes... :drool:

Talkin' about this one, Botch? I've ordered it. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Rarely does a live version have the same vibe as a treasured recording, but this hits it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_iTbzc2K4U[/youtube]

Back