• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saw this on ebay.

Two bad he didn't have two!

A pair of those would be a sweet DIY project.

Looks like a beast. How much power I wonder would it take to drive that?

The amp used with this sub in the paradigm servo 15 is 4,500 watts Dynamic Peak / 1,500 watts RMS. Now thats a spicy meatball.

In other words, it's power hungry! lol

I'm always a little wary of outrageous peak power claims.
4500? 7000?

Define peak power?

.5 milliseconds at 50% distortion before exploding into a ball of fire?

That could be considered peak power lol!

I kid!

Sort of...

You make a god point except that I have seen some subs that require a special 30 amp hookup to gewt all their power. Now that is scary.

Or the ones that need 220v.

I still even smell a bit of snake oil there.

Now my main soundguy has a Crest 9001. That think has been known to trip breakers on turnon.
But it's a 100 lb + amp with 6600W bridge mono.

I'm skeptical of a plate coming close to what that beast does. :think:

My understanding is that on a 15 amp circuit an amp can only draw a max of 1800 watts. Butt I am no amp guy so do take that as fact.

Welcome, Alien!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Maximo said:
My understanding is that on a 15 amp circuit an amp can only draw a max of 1800 watts. Butt I am no amp guy so do take that as fact.

Depends on the amp.

A lightweight design built to just tap power coming from the line......well that sounds about right.
Class D for ex.

An older larger amp with huge power supply and filter caps...could do more.
But you may need a larger breaker.

Don't take what I say as gospel either lol!
I'm going off what the older and wiser have told me through the years.

I should ask my fav tube amp repair guru Dave Sarge in State College.
That guy is a genius.
When Mesa Boogie refused to share a schematic on an amp he was repairing...he sat down and made one and sent it to them just to prove a point. lol

Alien said:
I might have to get that...I have the v1.

PLease let us know if you do. If I had unlimeted monitary and temporal resources I would get it to tinker with.

The theoretical maximum for a 20A circuit @ 110V is 20*110= 2,200 Watts. However, in AC circuitry you can't achieve that in practice. The 1,800W mentioned above would be somewhere in the ball park.

Most of the subs you see w/ these huge amps are in enclosures smaller than they should be and the extra power is needed to overcome the pressurization of the chamber. That and it looks good on paper.

John

Maximo said:
Alien said:
I might have to get that...I have the v1.

PLease let us know if you do. If I had unlimeted monitary and temporal resources I would get it to tinker with.

I've decided against it. I'm planning on building an IB sub, plus I think having that driver in the V1 cabinet with the v1 amp wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Back