• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Schiit Asgard for my cans?

Awesome! Agree with Rope - don't sweat the tubes now, get used to the rig for a while and then later if you decide you want to play, you'll be better able to distinguish whether a change in tubes brings about an improvement or not. And yeah, those damn things get expensive if you start digging into NOS...

The new amp, phones, and tubes must be doing their job rather well, since HD hasn't come up for air yet. :music-rockout:

Rope

Re: Shiit Asgaurd for my cans?

hummerdude said:
But the soundstage is so different. It is definitely immersive in the sense that I feel like I am hearing music while "on stage." Imaging comes from behind as often as from the sides or front. I am noticing that the Lyr provides more lateral imaging than without an amp. Now voices seem to come from the center of my head or from behind the brainstem region. This seems more natural than imaging from the top of my head! Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

Time to dig out the Pink Floyd albums... ;)

Yes I've been immersed in the music and I am happy with what I hear. I'm trying out Netflix now with the new HP. So far, very nice on the the PC setup.

Cool. So what are you doing for DAC?

bifrost_product.jpg

(Wink, wink)

Rope

Indeed, I am a sucker for Schiit. The Bifrost looks tempting! Now I am using the Fiio E7/E9 combo for the DAC. Actually this sounds pretty good when used as an amp as well. The E7 makes a pretty good portable amp. I plan on returning the Fiio stuff, but it I am happy with it right now. For $449, the Bifrost would have to be awfully good to make me pull the trigger. Any experience with it out there?

hummerdude said:
Indeed, I am a sucker for Schiit. The Bifrost looks tempting! Now I am using the Fiio E7/E9 combo for the DAC. Actually this sounds pretty good when used as an amp as well. The E7 makes a pretty good portable amp. I plan on returning the Fiio stuff, but it I am happy with it right now. For $449, the Bifrost would have to be awfully good to make me pull the trigger. Any experience with it out there?

They (Schiit) haven't began shipping to date, however, considering the two persons doing design and build, I'd bet two bits to a dog turd, and hold the stakes in my mouth, it'll put many DACs costing considerably more to shame.

Rope

IMPORTANT: We are shipping Bifrost and working through backorders, beginning with the non-USB models. We expect to begin shipping USB models by 10/14. Best guess on orders placed now? 2 weeks or so.

Rope

Rope said:
bifrost_product.jpg

(Wink, wink)

Rope

This just looks sexy. I need somebody to talk me into getting this (Rope are you there?). I ordered a SB Touch today relying heavily on comments made here. Is there any conceivable reason that this Bifrost might be better than a Squeezebox Touch for a DAC. I am already able to stream to my Home Theater using a PS3 but I thought it would be fun to use the SB attached directly to my hard drive. I could also easily move the SB to multiple locations as needed (computer, living room). I have been using the FIIO E7/E9 as a DAC and this sounds better than connecting the Lyr directly to my computer. Also I need to be able to connect both my CD player and my computer to the Lyr and it seems like either the SB or Bifrost could accommodate me. Okay, sorry for the jumbled explanation. Any comments?

I can't comment on the Bifrost, or any DAC for that matter. I'm currently using a SB Touch with the Lyr, and have no complaints, however there are a few Head-fiers who employ the Bifrost with the SB Touch, who rave about the increased clarity and detail. I'm of the opinion that new gear endorphins play a big role in what some may perceive as SQ improvement.

As more professional reviews surface on the Bifrost, I may drop hammer.

Rope

P.S. you may want to set the SB Touch up and give it a listen for a period of time. Then make the decision concerning the improvement a DAC might make.

Yeah, I agree with Rope here - if there is a difference, it's likely to be small. But my usual philosophy in this sort of situation is: buy them both, and compare it yourself! That's the only way to really answer this question.

I've decided that I'm going to drop hammer on the Bifrost, but there is a stipulation. The owner's manual must be at least as humorous as the Lyr. Wonder if Jason will send a verification copy? :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

With the Lyr on top, that will be one nice stack of Schiit! I am looking forward to your impressions. I have been using my new SB Touch for the last couple of days now and I love it. I'll be interested in hearing what the Bifrost can add.

hummerdude said:
Very nice! I like the feet - quite elegant. So what do you think so far?

They're not mine. You said something about a stack of Schiit, so I plagiarized a pic from Head-fi.

Rope

Back