• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Selling High Fidelity using Elton John

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Don't know if all you guys have seen this commercial, it cracks me up! :laughing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWy-LCGDsd8[/youtube]

Yeah... I saw that the other night. It made me smile.

I've never associated Fender with anything other than guitars, and certainly not with "hi fi" mobile electronics.

Anyone around my area that hasn't seen that commercial doesn't watch TV.

It was funny the first 10 times I saw it.

Fender and high fidelity?

I've seen these advertisements and cannot fathom how Fender equates to fidelity. Good music? Sure! But not high fidelity.

Fender is a joke brand for PA systems. They are in the same playing field as Pyle Pro and even lower than Behringer. Fender is well known for their guitar amplifiers, but guitar amps are the opposite of high fidelity. They are designed to add distortions and noise which contribute to and sometimes creates the sounds a musician is trying to get.

High fidelity?

They are a very famous and well respected brand brough back from the outsourcing ashes in the early 1980s when they started the whole "custom shop" and American Standard brands. Perhaps a brand alone can sell a technology that brand not technically famous for. They are a musician associated brand.

Have you guys seen Maroon 5 selling JBL in advertisements on mainstream timeblocks? I find that really odd. Of course they are selling an iPad dock on the shoulders of JBL's professional reputation, but still.

I think "being a musician" has become so commonplace that the market for very high end musical gear being purchased by non-professionals accounts for 95% of that market.

I don't know why, I guess people see Fender they think music. VW/Audi also uses Dynaudio (or at least did) but I guess that name wasn't common enough to garner success and sell to the public in a TV commercial. Just marketing, someone from Fender probably sat in the car and said make it sound like this and they slapped a name on. I can't imagine they actually manufacture the stuff, I can't imagine it sounds any better than the Dynaudio stuff, or the Bose stuff, or the JBL/Mark Levinson stuff or any other name badged car audio stuff. Not saying it doesn't sound good....but It's a marketing thing.

It's obviously made for the section of the public that would fall for Bose advertisement.

Towen7 said:
Yeah... I saw that the other night. It made me smile.

I've never associated Fender with anything other than guitars, and certainly not with "hi fi" mobile electronics.

I was always crackin up so hard over the commercial, that I never realized that it was for a "Fender" audio system. :happy-smileygiantred:

-B-, I was just talking to Mick Thursday and Dyn just landed a BIG contract for VWs in China. I think Audi/VW has different tiers, if you will, when it comes to their audio...

-B- said:
I don't know why, I guess people see Fender they think music. VW/Audi also uses Dynaudio (or at least did) but I guess that name wasn't common enough to garner success and sell to the public in a TV commercial. Just marketing, someone from Fender probably sat in the car and said make it sound like this and they slapped a name on. I can't imagine they actually manufacture the stuff, I can't imagine it sounds any better than the Dynaudio stuff, or the Bose stuff, or the JBL/Mark Levinson stuff or any other name badged car audio stuff. Not saying it doesn't sound good....but It's a marketing thing.

Sure who wouldn't want a car with the cool Fender signature logo on it?

93ebea8d.jpg

Flint, you need to check your facts, :happy-smileygiantred: , if you dig hard enough on VWs site, it states FLAT-OUT that Fender is "arguably the most iconic name in audio" :eusa-whistle:

:text-link:

The first time I saw it was a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great until they said "Fender"???

I didn't even know that they were into consumer hi-fi audio. I have owned a couple of there bass and guitar amps in the past.

WTF??

-B- said:
Not saying it doesn't sound good....but It's a marketing thing.

Of course it's a marketing thing. There isn't one item on a vehicle invoice that isn't marketing. How hi-fi can you get in a moving vehicle, where you surrounded by all sorts of materials, where you sit nowhere close to a spot between the speakers, where one ear is inches from a sheet of glass and the other is essentially in open space, where the distance between drivers on the same audio channel can be measured in feet?

I'm sure that the Fender system, like the Bose, Mark Levinson, JBL, etc sounds better than a "stock" system. But yeah... It's marketing.

Like Randy, I never noticed it was a Fender audio system; I was just cracking up at the idea "if you can understand Elton's singing, its gotta be hifi"...

geesh...

VW is huge in China and Korea. I have never seen so many Passats in one place as I saw over there.

About 80% of the population thinks that an MP3 player with the "white" ipod stock ear buds sounds great. I work with people that think spending 400 dollars on a receiver is "insane" and that they all sound the same. I have a sister in law that says stereo and mono sound the same to her. Everyone on this site and anything like it is in the vast minority to tell the truth. Most people just don't care about anything more advanced then a boombox, think Monster and Bose are the best, so not surprising really.

The big question I would have is, how hard would it be to replace with an after market system if you didn't like it? I love Nissans, but a lot of friends of mine that own them say it's impossible to replace one component in a Bose equipped system without having to gut the whole system. If Fender is like that, then I would pass.

^ this is becoming more and more a losing proposition with all manufacturers anyway Yesfan. Each year with all new models (practically) total vehicle function runs through the radio as the main interface...

Batman said:
^ this is becoming more and more a losing proposition with all manufacturers anyway Yesfan. Each year with all new models (practically) total vehicle function runs through the radio as the main interface...
This is pissing me off as well. My Saab dealer was able to hook me up with an independent shop, in Pennsylvania, that could replace the hardened rubber wheels in my CD player and keep the original stereo head working (with a $45 undocking/redocking fee just to take the player in/out of the car! :angry-cussingblack: ).
I don't think I'll be buying another vehicle with any moving-media entertainment again; thank goodness for thumbdrives and Clouds! :handgestures-thumbup:

I know about two co-workers who chose a specific model of Mercedes purely to have the iPod dock for their wives.

Back