• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Slingbox 350

Towen7

Staff member
After going to a baseball game with Batman in Houston and seeing him use an iPad to stream his Eagles game to Minute Maid park (a game he couldn't even see on Houston TV) I decided that I had to have one. It's not that I watch a lot of TV but there are occasions when I'm out and want to check on the game, or a news event or, whatever....

Today Sling finally announced two new boxes; the 350 and 500. I don't need wifi since the box will literally be right next to my router and I use tha AppleTV for pictures and other local media... so I'll be ordering a new Slingbox 350 on the 14th.

:text-link:

Re: New Slingbox Models on Oct 14

This is appealing to me too. Any idea on pricing? I couldn't tell on the website but do you know if there will be access over 3G cell network?

The 350 is $179 and the 500 is $299. The 500 has wifi connectivity and a USB slot.

Yes, you can access the Slingbox over a cell network.

One "hidden" cost is the SlingPlayer app is not free for mobile devices and the iPhone and iPad apps are different (so you have to buy each separately). EACH app is $30 but Sling has them on sale for $14.99 right now.

Basically you hook up the slingbox to your set top box (depending on the type of slingbox, via either the hdmi or component output of your set top box) and your network, setup an account with a username and password. The slingbox broadcasts your set top box contnet on to their website and you access it through there. The tv provider box is controlled by an ir blaster and a virtual remote which you set up during the install. You can watch your slingbox on their website from a PC or laptop, or on a mobile device that allows you to download their app. It's pretty neat.

Yes but you can power it on from the virtual remote via the IR blaster.

Yes. But the the Slingbox has an IR emitter on it to control the STB. I think most STBs will turn themselves on whenever they receive any command.

I've still yet to get one for my Dish receivers.

What I would like to see, is a way to watch any NFL game without having to go to DirecTV and order Sunday ticket. It truly sucks that NFLST is only available for DirecTV customers. Oh well, everyone can now have an iPhone regardless of provider, so maybe there's still hope for us non-DirecTVers.

Yesfan, the dish sling adapter is cheap (~$45) compared to a fully functional slingbox...

Yesfan70 said:
What I would like to see, is a way to watch any NFL game without having to go to DirecTV and order Sunday ticket. It truly sucks that NFLST is only available for DirecTV customers. Oh well, everyone can now have an iPhone regardless of provider, so maybe there's still hope for us non-DirecTVers.

DirecTV pays a TON of money to the NFL for the exclusive rights to broadcast all the games out of their normal markets. The other carriers haven't been able to come-up with a deal sweet enough to convince the NFL to let them in on it. FWIW, DirecTV looses money on the NFL.

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:

DirecTV pays a TON of money to the NFL for the exclusive rights to broadcast all the games out of their normal markets. The other carriers haven't been able to come-up with a deal sweet enough to convince the NFL to let them in on it. FWIW, DirecTV looses money on the NFL.

That's good news then (for non-DirecTV customers). Sooner or later Direc will have to address that issue and maybe the NFL can just split what they get from DirecTV alone to the other TV providers. I don't see why they don't do it already. They would make a lot more money from those willing to pay for Sunday Ticket that can't get it. This is just like when the iPhone was only available through AT&T, now one doesn't have to sign up to a certain carrier if they want an iPhone. They can get it from anyone.

Batman said:
Yesfan, the dish sling adapter is cheap (~$45) compared to a fully functional slingbox...

Is that the one that plugs into the USB port on the back of the receiver? If so, that's a huge drop. They were going for about $99 a year & half ago.

Ok, so I gotta ask, what's the difference between the adapter and the fully functional?

The adapter only works with Dish receivers as far as I know, a true slingbox works with any box from any provider as long as the provider's box has the proper outputs...

Ok, thanks. I might get one for the upstairs receiver. It is the 722 dual tuner, but I use it on only one TV, so I'm hoping to not lose TV2 if I want to watch the TV upstairs when another show is recording instead of having to watch TV2 on my laptop or what's recording on TV1.

So I'm wondering... Why October 14, a Sunday, for the official sale date? Stores can't advertise them in the weekend paper but more importantly... I've got stuff to do this Sunday and having one on Saturday the 13 would be better so I can watch football while I'm out.

It took some doing but I got the new SlingBox 350 today. Despite today being the official "street date" and the Best Buy website indicating that they were in stock the local Best Buy didn't have it on their shelves. The first Blue Shirt guy didn't know what a Sling Box was, the second thought they had a refurbished HD Pro (the "old" model) in the back, the third didn't know either but was willing to at least look in up on their computers and found it in the warehouse.

I went with the 350 because I actually WANT to use component cables instead of HDMI. I'm pretty sure that my TV provider doesn't use HDCP I'd just assume not have to worry about it. I've got it connected to the STB in the home theater. The STB component and HDMI outputs are both active at the same time. The components are hooked the the Slingbox and the HDMI to the pre-pro. The family and I rarely use the HT for watching TV so there should be no conflicts. So far the web viewer works really well and it may be the perfect solution to watching TV in the home office.

The next step is to install the Sling Player app on my iPads and iPhones. Sling charges the crazy amount of $29.99 for EACH app but luckily they are on sale for $14.99.

:handgestures-thumbup: although I'm perturbed that I paid $60 for both apps... :handgestures-thumbdown:

Back