• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Small Speaker Kool-Aid

Batman said:
BUT at that price point the market is a relative free-for-all so then you also have the marketing kool-aid bordering on snake-oil in a lot of cases...

I absolutely agree. In fact, I think that makes this discussion, and by extension this forum, all the more necessary.

John

TKoP said:
I'm working on fuzzy memory right now, but I thought the small vs. big speaker had to do more with speakers at the same price point. For a speaker at the $500/pr price point, your average "bookshelf" speaker would be "better" than a "full sized" speaker. You might get more of the scale with the bigger speaker, but you would have a better mid and upper range. And when you included a sub in the mix, the sense of scale was even minimized even more.

I also thought that there was a general sense of agreement that when you got into the "hi-fi" and price wasn't included in the equation, that a full sized speaker was going to be better.

I never said anything about a large speaker and a small speaker of equal price points; that's impossible to do because obviously the large speaker will involve quality cuts. I always assume a quality product in each category, and never imply a cheaper verses more expensive product with the same specifications, because quality cannot be maintained; something must give to get more for the same money.

As an example, my words got twisted in regard to stereo subs too; I NEVER said that two stereo CHEAP subs are better than one QUALITY sub. My intention always is that stereo QUALITY subs are better than a single sub of equal quality.

yromj said:
TKoP's comments are generally correct, according to my memory as well. (At least for the reason the small speaker Kool-Aid was poured.) To me it always had to with the practical vs. the ideal.

Real-world limitations, with budget & space constraints being the primary two, usually keep people from achieving the ideal. The question then becomes, "How do I achieve the best I can, given my situation?" Sacrifices are a given in that situation.

I don't believe anyone is under the impression that a small speaker can do everything as well as a larger speaker; but, for a person with a 15'x20' room and a $5k budget (for the entire system), a set of nice bookshelves is a very appealing option.

John

See my previous reply. Large QUALITY speakers will always cost more than small speakers of equal quality. I simply meant that larger speakers (with larger drivers) will have a better sense of scale than small speakers (with smaller drivers) of equal quality.

SH: Exactly, the key word being "quality". The unfortunate part is that the sole judge of quality is often price. In other words, all $1,000 speakers may be considered as equal by some; but, in reality, using the same quality components on a larger scale will inherently cost more (another way of stating what you said).

John

I don't profess to know the "real" answer.... but here's my thoughts.

I too love HUGE scale. To that end, I've always been a horn person and currently have some decent sized horns in the living room.

Wondering about scale, I once sent an email to an engineer I know who works at Klipsch.

Basically, I said "if you have a pair of Heresy's playing 100 db's at the seating position and then exchange them for a pair of Jubilee's ALSO playing 100 db's at the seating position, why do the Jubilee's seem so much larger in scale?"

I'm going to try to attach a drawing I just did to illustrate my understanding of the answer.

Bottome line, they (Klipsch) target "even coverage" (or maybe some other fancy term for same thing)

Rather than a narrow beam of focused sound at 100 db's at my seating position, the larger speakers disperse the sound better such that it's more of a wall of sound coming out of the speaker.

In other words, while listening to the Heresy's, once you get out of the point of focus, the sound dropps off (the scale dies). With the larger speakers, you get that same 100 db's at more points in the room, therefore the scale is/seems larger.

I might add this sense of scale does not mean LOUD.... it is there at normal volumes as well. This suggests to me that if you had an electrostatic, horn, ported... speaker that had similar COVERAGE characteristics, that you might get better scale with all of them.

That's my layman understanding....... it all begins with the coverage angles of the speakers.

For those of you who are envious of my drawing abilities, I'll be happy to teach you all of my drawing skills :text-imsorry: .... for a fee.... :teasing-neener:

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 555
Coytee,
I think your drawing pretty well sums it up. No, i don't need any drawing lessons.

Coytee said:
I don't profess to know the "real" answer.... but here's my thoughts.

Bottome line, they (Klipsch) target "even coverage" (or maybe some other fancy term for same thing)

Rather than a narrow beam of focused sound at 100 db's at my seating position, the larger speakers disperse the sound better such that it's more of a wall of sound coming out of the speaker.

In other words, while listening to the Heresy's, once you get out of the point of focus, the sound dropps off (the scale dies). With the larger speakers, you get that same 100 db's at more points in the room, therefore the scale is/seems larger.

I might add this sense of scale does not mean LOUD.... it is there at normal volumes as well. This suggests to me that if you had an electrostatic, horn, ported... speaker that had similar COVERAGE characteristics, that you might get better scale with all of them.

That's my layman understanding....... it all begins with the coverage angles of the speakers.

For those of you who are envious of my drawing abilities, I'll be happy to teach you all of my drawing skills :text-imsorry: .... for a fee.... :teasing-neener:

I don't buy the Klipsch answer that dispersion is the reason. If that were true, then any number of small speakers which have wide dispersion would have a similar sense of scale as a much larger speaker.

Randy said:
Coytee,
I think your drawing pretty well sums it up.
I think his avatar does! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

I don't know if it matters or if we're on semantics...

I would think there is a difference between "wide disperson" and "even coverage"

The way I understood it their goal is to have the same impact of sound as evenly balanced as they can and then, make this some certain angle if distribution.

I'm sure there's more to it (he knew he was not talking to a technical type) and I'm sure the raw efficiency of something like their Khorns come into play verses another speaker (even if large) that comes in at 95db/watt verses 104.

(I don't know, just speculateing)

I CAN however say that I was once at one of their public events at their HQ in Indianapolis. They had their Jubilee speaker set up in a very large (double wide) banquet room.

The speakers had their huge 402 horn on one pair and on the other pair, the much smaller K510 horn.

I joined the crowd to walk in front of speaker set A and then B to hear them. Then, because I already had a pair, I decided to sit down. By happenstance, I sat pretty much in the middle of the room, between both pair of speakers.

When they played the units with the large horn (the top horn in my avatar) I was sitting there finding my toe tapping to the music. I will add for the 2 cents its worth, I could NOT see down the throat of the horn, I was outside the edge of it.

They then switched to the other pair.

1. This was not scientific
2. This was not "controlled"
3. This was not to teach me anything

When they switched to the same speaker on the other side of the room with the SMALLER top horn, it then hit me.

I finally "got" what it means when people talk about even/constant coverage. I also finally "got" what people mean when they say a LaRGER horn would work better than a smaller horn...

What happend is, when the smaller horn was playing, a lot more of the top end was going straight out and less to the sides than with the larger horn.

My specific observations were much of the higher frequencies seemed to be muted.

I might add, they were trying to play them at similar levels (not scientific) and had a db meter there to try to dial things in.

So the net effect is the speaker set with the smaller horn, directed more of its energy "straight out" than the one with the larger horn.

Standing on axis with both of them, they sounded fantastic. Standing off axis, the output of the larger horn exceeded the smaller horn, sounded better and had more balance.

All that to say, I'm sure there are more ingredients that go into the answer rather than my comments. Given however, some of the experiences I have had, asking the question specifically to Roy Delgado (PWK's right hand man for many years and co-designer of the Jubilee which was PWK's final project to improve the Khorn) I'm satisfied that for a lay answer, the even coverage angle would suffice for most non-hyper technical type.

Edit to add a second thought: Let me put it this way.... I think a speaker that has large scale probably has a more even pattern of coverage (among other attributes) than one that does not. Take away the even coverage and I'd wonder if that alone is enough to take away some of the scale?

Smaller horns merely have a higher cutoff frequency than larger horns - it has absolutely nothing to do with dispersion or even coverage. Any size of horn can be made to have any dispersion coverage the designer wishes - dispersion is not a factor with horn size.

Hey, I'm a fan of large horns too...I just think your're on the wrong track with the dispersion thing.

Soundy,
But don't an incredibly wide dispersion, huge soundstage, and "scale" kinda all go hand in hand?

I kinda got what Coytee was sayin, but hell I been wrong before.

Randy said:
Soundy,
But don't an incredibly wide dispersion, huge soundstage, and "scale" kinda all go hand in hand?

Wide dispersion is easy to do. Even the early Bose 901 speakers did that, and they couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be described as having a good sense of scale. Soundstage is part of the recording (either its there or it isn't, depending on the skill of the engineer) and having an acoustic environment (the room) which does not distort the inherent imaging in the recording.

soundhound said:
Randy said:
Soundy,

Wide dispersion is easy to do. Even the early Bose 901 speakers did that, and they couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be described as having a good sense of scale. Soundstage is part of the recording (either its there or it isn't, depending on the skill of the engineer) and having an acoustic environment (the room) which does not distort the inherent imaging in the recording.

Exellent analogy thank you. Yes, my oldest brother used to have a set of 901's and I can't remember them ever impressing me with what I think of when i think of scale.

Is it strictly the total radiating area that creates the sense of scale or is it the size of the driver?

Zing said:
Is it strictly the total radiating area that creates the sense of scale or is it the size of the driver?

It's not just the total radiating area, as I get what SH said in his last post. I think it is the difference between a friend playing a guitar in your living room (smallish scale), a full band playing in a club (mediumish scale), and the Trans Siberian Orchestra playing in an arena (much more largey scale).

I am probably not describing it as well as I could, but I kinda get it. I know it is the difference between K-Horns and my Studio 20's. both are really good, I like both, but they are not the same experience.

It seems to be implied that a 12" driver will offer a larger sense of scale than a 7" driver will. That's makes perfect sense to me and I would expect that to be the case. But what about multiple drivers?

A 12" driver has 113 square inches of radiating area. Three 7" drivers have a combined 115 square inches of radiating area. If it's radiating area alone, triple 7s should offer the same sense of scale as a single 12. But if it's the size of the driver then no amount of 7" drivers will ever match the sonic scale of a single 12".

Zing said:
It seems to be implied that a 12" driver will offer a larger sense of scale than a 7" driver will. That's makes perfect sense to me and I would expect that to be the case. But what about multiple drivers?

A 12" driver has 113 square inches of radiating area. Three 7" drivers have a combined 115 square inches of radiating area. If it's radiating area alone, triple 7s should offer the same sense of scale as a single 12. But if it's the size of the driver then no amount of 7" drivers will ever match the sonic scale of a single 12".

I've never tested with one large driver verses multiple smaller ones, but I would imagine that it would still be true if the total radiating area is the same (within reason of course....fifty 2" drivers won't do...)

soundhound said:
I've never tested with one large driver verses multiple smaller ones, but I would imagine that it would still be true if the total radiating area is the same (within reason of course....fifty 2" drivers won't do...)
Damn! Really?? If I were forced to wager, I'd bet the ranch that, say, the Heresy and its 12" driver would have a significantly larger scale than, say, the Studio 100 and its triple 7s would.

2138623_f260.jpg
Paradigm_Studio100v5_reviewed.gif

Zing said:
soundhound said:
Damn! Really?? If I were forced to wager, I'd bet the ranch that, say, the Heresy and its 12" driver would have a significantly larger scale than, say, the Studio 100 and its triple 7s would.

2138623_f260.jpg
Paradigm_Studio100v5_reviewed.gif
Hmm, I'd actually expect the opposite; reason being the outside emitting edge of the triple sevens are much farther apart than the outisde emitting edge of a single 12" driver.
I'm actually thinking about the Very Large Array in New Mexico http://www.vla.nrao.edu/ while a receiver rather than a transmitter, works on the same principle.

Uhhhhh...I think we're getting a bit out there......

SIMPLY....

Big ass speakers are better than wimpy teeny tiny little speakers. :music-rockout:

Back