• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Something is happening to me...

walls

My whole life I have been a metal guy, started with KISS as a kid and eventually to bands like Sabbath and Crue while in pre teen days. Then after a while it was heavier and heavier, Metallica, Slayer then on to pure death metal, Obituary and Cannible Corpse but as I get older I find myself enjoying music that I NEVER thought that I would.
My new favorites are Brandi Carlisle, Trent Dabbs, Billy Joel and Dave Matthews to name a few. Of course I still spin the heaviest of the heavies but more and more I seem to be focusing on the emotions and “feeling” that music is offering.
So I have to ask, is this just me getting old or am I actually enjoying music as a whole and learning to appreciate it more?

I don't think it has anything to do with age or getting older. I think it's nothing more than your tastes evolving stemming from some form of exposure to different genres of music and I'd say that's perfectly normal. I'd find it less normal - downright odd, actually - if a person favored only one particular genre of music their entire life.

It happens. Over the last 15 years I started listening to bands I could never stand in my younger years. Lately I've been listening to a lot of country music. Dont get me wrong I still think most of it is garbage but I'm finding some newer good country bands, Cody Jinks being my favorite right now. Funny thing is he used to be a metal guy and actually toured with Slayer.
Your not alone.

I started diversifying my musical listening material many years ago. I now have my most diverse collection that I have ever had. I think that age does have something to do with it as well as interest in new/different material. There are some types of music that I just can't stand to listen to, however I will keep that to myself at this point in time.

Last edited:
In the over 55 years I have been listening to and collecting music I have changed by preference for a particular style of music numerous times.

It is something that happens to most people that enjoy seriously listening to music and one of the most joyful things about the hoby/interest.

It happens. Over the last 15 years I started listening to bands I could never stand in my younger years. Lately I've been listening to a lot of country music. Dont get me wrong I still think most of it is garbage but I'm finding some newer good country bands, Cody Jinks being my favorite right now. Funny thing is he used to be a metal guy and actually toured with Slayer.
Your not alone.

dent, try to find stuff created or famous during the 80's or 90's. country music had a good peak during these two decades.

i also listened to cowboy stuff, happy trails is one of my favorite cds. but thats also a different genre in its own.

george strait

http://tasteofcountry.com/top-george-strait-songs/

randy travis (3 crosses are my favorite)
allison kraus
joe dee messina (sorry for spelling just woke up)
travis tritt (takes a bit harder to swallow, but has a couple of good ones)

not really a big fan of garth brooks, but like others, its a matter of preference.

Walls,

try listening to

Natalie merchant - Tigerlily - one of the few albums i go back to a LOT.

also 10,000 maniacs mtv unplugged album.

I also love everything but the girl, great 90's band. try their earlier stuff. home movies is my first album i take for road trips.

Oh i had to edit my post,

James taylor - greatest hits. a Must in my book.

My musical tastes have also changed, or more accurately they have expanded, dramatically over time. While modern country makes me want to become and evil supervillain and put all those people in prison for daily torture, I find I really appreciate the country music of the 1960s and 1970s quite a bit. I have also grown to like, of all things, Metal-Prog music that I hated when the genre started in the late 1980s. I now seek out the more epic metal/prog bands like Epica, Dream Theater, Haaken, River Sein, and others. I even put those bands in my Amazon Music playlists. I also have come to absolutely love French minimalist folk music (often called Bistro music), like Karpatt, Carla Bruni, and others. So, I think that is normal.

I mean, our tastes change in everything we enjoy, don't they? I don't have any desire to ever get on a roller coaster again and I can sit and listen to opera now, something I would never do 20 years ago. Even my video entertainment has dramatically matured. I have spoken at length about the shows I absolute adore being amazing regardless of the surround effects, and most of the big visual effects movies actually bore the shit out of me at this point. I want character development, mystery, drama, and some amount of desire to watch the plot work through the length of the show. I prefer long crime mysteries where the crime being investigated takes 6 or 13 episodes to work out and the entire time I am oblivious to who dun it.

So, there we are. Maturing into the people we used to pity.

In the immortal words of Pete Townshend, as sung by Roger Daltry, "I hope I die before I get old."

dent, try to find stuff created or famous during the 80's or 90's. country music had a good peak during these two decades.

i also listened to cowboy stuff, happy trails is one of my favorite cds. but thats also a different genre in its own.

george strait

http://tasteofcountry.com/top-george-strait-songs/

randy travis (3 crosses are my favorite)
allison kraus
joe dee messina (sorry for spelling just woke up)
travis tritt (takes a bit harder to swallow, but has a couple of good ones)

not really a big fan of garth brooks, but like others, its a matter of preference.

Walls,

try listening to

Natalie merchant - Tigerlily - one of the few albums i go back to a LOT.

also 10,000 maniacs mtv unplugged album.

I also love everything but the girl, great 90's band. try their earlier stuff. home movies is my first album i take for road trips.

Oh i had to edit my post,

James taylor - greatest hits. a Must in my book.
I'm actually a fan of some country from that time period. Actually some from the 70's as well. Travis, Garth, Hank Jr, Randy, Cash, lots of Cash, are just a few of the artist in my CD collection. Travis Tritt actually lived only a few miles from me, our daughters were in the same dance class. I sat with him for a few events, good dude. Thanks.

sdfgsdfgsdfg.jpg

Yes Walls, you are getting old. :nyah:

Sometimes I stumble across something that I really like and get excited about for a month or two and then realize it was temporary insanity. I've had that happen a few times recently, with one example being The Pretty Reckless. Good music sticks and has staying power. I remember my days working in the high-fi store back in 1990 and being told by a musician co-worker that there are only two kinds of music: Good Music and Bad Music. Genre does not matter. Good music is universal.

Good to know I'm not alone, lol!

Jomari, I have Tigerlilly and Ophelia both! Love Natalie Merchant!

good on you! i love tigerlily, ophelia, i kinda went meh a bit.

Try everything but the girl - home movies. similar but also a bit different. great swooning voice and definitely a great album. my go to as far as growing up.

I'm actually a fan of some country from that time period. Actually some from the 70's as well. Travis, Garth, Hank Jr, Randy, Cash, lots of Cash, are just a few of the artist in my CD collection. Travis Tritt actually lived only a few miles from me, our daughters were in the same dance class. I sat with him for a few events, good dude. Thanks.

cool man, i wish i could say that with certain people. i mentioned about travis tritt because it appeals to a lot of people, but doesnt to others. sort of like garth. i am inclined to listening to the women country stuff, because it was in a way their 'starting point' in the 80s or 90s. they said that they didnt 'endorse' it back then, that it wasnt sellable. place me on a crucifix, but i only liked one or two cash songs.

I like to think my tastes have evolved over the years and become broader. Fact of the matter....when I want to really enjoy the music it's usually the stuff I listened to in my teens. The stuff I like to call my "musical wheelhouse". The stuff that gives me the warm and fuzzies thinking about my teenage years rocking out with my buddies.

Back