• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony PS3 price cut to $250

Razz

Well-Known Member
I really have stopped liking my PS3.

I can't stand the fact that almost everytime I turn it on, it tells me I need to update the software (again).

And I really hate the stupid blue tooth interface with the remote, that's just LAME!

It seams like every time I watch a movie, half way through I get the stupid "remote control needs to be charged" message... pisses me off!
 

Razz

Well-Known Member
Funny,
Tonight, after Netfliks update.... then PS3 update... it's no longer outputting audio....

I hate this fucking thing!

I'm buying a new dedicated Blu Ray player this weekend!

Anyone want mine... they can have it!
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
Considering it's only another 12 months or so until the next gen of consoles are released I wouldn't bother.

Razz, I feel your pain. I gave up on using a PS3 long ago. The interface was just slow and clunky, updates took forever to download and then took forever to actually install, and were often. It was loud and a pain in the ass to use. On top of that there were ridiculous claims by their marketing dept that you had to laugh at (4D graphics etc...). I really want to see what Sony has to offer up for the next gen, maybe they can redeem themselves?

I hate to come off as a Microsoft/Xbox fanboy, but the Xbox system has a nicer, more enjoyable user experience overall.

D
 

AndySTL

Well-Known Member
Razz said:
Funny,
Tonight, after Netfliks update.... then PS3 update... it's no longer outputting audio....

I hate this fucking thing!

I'm buying a new dedicated Blu Ray player this weekend!

Anyone want mine... they can have it!
If you're just going to chuck it into the ocean, I'll give it a shot! I'm actually interested in one for gaming purposes only, not for BR playback. Any issues with games?
 

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Superstar
The netflix interface on the ps3 is definitely better than what's on my sony 370 dedicated player... but not enough for it to matter all that much; I stopped using the ps3 as a bd player a while ago, mostly because of the noise of my older model. I still go through the occasional game phase, though it's been a couple of months now probably since I've turned the ps3 on. Yeah, the required system updates get annoying.
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I've thought about selling mine and getting another 380 player for upstairs. How hard is Netflix on the 370 Pauly?


All I ever used mine was for Blurays/DVDs, Netflix, and streaming music from my computer. even at $250, that's more than twice the price of another 380, plus I have a game, Bluetooth remote, and two controllers.
 

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Superstar
It's functional, just not quite as slick and it just doesn't have any search function like the ps3 interface does. But I usually set up my queue on the computer anyway, so it really doesn't matter all that much. I don't know if the 370 will do DD sound or CC (when available), but I haven't really checked for it.
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
PaulyT said:
It's functional, just not quite as slick and it just doesn't have any search function like the ps3 interface does. But I usually set up my queue on the computer anyway, so it really doesn't matter all that much. I don't know if the 370 will do DD sound or CC (when available), but I haven't really checked for it.

Since I am speakerless right now, I may swap the two out and see for myself. I'll report back the results.
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
I think the PS3 is one of only a few devices that does 5.1 for Netflix.

I really like the Netflix stream app built into my Samsung TV.

D
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Doghart said:
I think the PS3 is one of only a few devices that does 5.1 for Netflix....

D

Not sure I understand. If the 380 is also connected to the web and has HDMI out, then why couldn't it or another brand's player output a 5.1 audio signal and let the a/v receiver decode it? Something like that seems more dependent on the user's DL speeds and/or Netflix.
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
I imagine that its just a matter of time unti MS follows suit and drops the price of the Xbox. Speaking of consoles is there any hint if/when a next gen PS3 or Xbox will arrive?
 

Razz

Well-Known Member
AndySTL said:
Razz said:
Funny,
Tonight, after Netfliks update.... then PS3 update... it's no longer outputting audio....

I hate this fucking thing!

I'm buying a new dedicated Blu Ray player this weekend!

Anyone want mine... they can have it!
If you're just going to chuck it into the ocean, I'll give it a shot! I'm actually interested in one for gaming purposes only, not for BR playback. Any issues with games?

AndySTL,
Sorry, just venting a lot.. I really do hate the thing but i'm going to keep it for all the PS3 games I bought.
I have unplugged everything and rebooted it like it was new... sound is working again... but damn!
 

AndySTL

Well-Known Member
Razz said:
AndySTL said:
Razz said:
Funny,
Tonight, after Netfliks update.... then PS3 update... it's no longer outputting audio....

I hate this fucking thing!

I'm buying a new dedicated Blu Ray player this weekend!

Anyone want mine... they can have it!
If you're just going to chuck it into the ocean, I'll give it a shot! I'm actually interested in one for gaming purposes only, not for BR playback. Any issues with games?

AndySTL,
Sorry, just venting a lot.. I really do hate the thing but i'm going to keep it for all the PS3 games I bought.
I have unplugged everything and rebooted it like it was new... sound is working again... but damn!
No worries, I figured that you were half kidding anyway. Glad to hear it's working!

How do you like it for games? I am into football games and racing games. Everyone seems to suggest going with an Xbox 360, but for some reason I am drawn to the PS3.
 

Maximo

Well-Known Member
Razz said:
AndySTL said:
Razz said:
Funny,
Tonight, after Netfliks update.... then PS3 update... it's no longer outputting audio....

I hate this fucking thing!

I'm buying a new dedicated Blu Ray player this weekend!

Anyone want mine... they can have it!
If you're just going to chuck it into the ocean, I'll give it a shot! I'm actually interested in one for gaming purposes only, not for BR playback. Any issues with games?

AndySTL,
Sorry, just venting a lot.. I really do hate the thing but i'm going to keep it for all the PS3 games I bought.
I have unplugged everything and rebooted it like it was new... sound is working again... but damn!
Boo! Bate and switch! Bate and switch!
 

mzpro5

Well-Known Member
Famous
Late to the discussion but from my experience $99 for the Roku XDS is the way to go for streaming.

I like the interface and it is pretty dependable. I have two friends that use their BD players to stream (one is a Sony, the other is a Panasonic I think) and neither comes near the quality and ease of use of the Roku.

I realize it is money for another "single use" piece of equipment but worth it in my mind.

:twocents-mytwocents:
 

Maximo

Well-Known Member
I personally have been so impressed with the LG BD player that we got free with our plasma last year, I have not needed anything else. It has netflix, vudu, and pandora on it. Plus a bunch of other crap. Really neat.
 

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
mzpro5 said:
Late to the discussion but from my experience $99 for the Roku XDS is the way to go for streaming.

I like the interface and it is pretty dependable. I have two friends that use their BD players to stream (one is a Sony, the other is a Panasonic I think) and neither comes near the quality and ease of use of the Roku.

I realize it is money for another "single use" piece of equipment but worth it in my mind.

:twocents-mytwocents:
hey Mzpro, i loved my roku 2 xds while i had it (1 day), and loved the channels on it, but i guess i kinda thought paying a little more would get me a new blu-ray player as well. which, in mind, i shelled out more than i wanted (bought the panny 310 for 250 i think)...

nonetheless, streaming tho, is definitely better on the roku, almost as good as my ps3. this is a problem on the panny 310, instead of seamlessly moving from a slower bandwidth picture (sd), to a higher bandwidth (HD), the panny gives me a blinking black screen, then poop, the new picture. the ps3 and the roku seamlessly 'transfers' to the higher definition picture.

i kinda got disappointed when i found out it doesnt do divx... too bad i screwed up the box already, if not id get the LG as well.
 
Top