• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker Shopping - Need Suggestions

Towen7

Staff member
I need a 3.0 speaker system for a living room (don't worry I already have a sub and the surrounds will get added later). I want bookshelves for the L/R and a horizontal center. The system will be used for casual TV watching more 90% of the time. The only exception will be the occasional movie. The only music going through these will be for background music at parties. The space is sizable but the the seating will be fairly close to the main speakers.

My first thought was a pair of Paradigm Titans and a CC-290 but I haven't done any speaker research in a long time so... here we are.

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

I take it this is a secondary system, so I would go used to save on some money. What are your thoughts on the Mini monitors? They have a bit more low end than the Titans, so that may give you more flexibilty in the bass management area.

Yesfan70 said:
I take it this is a secondary system, so I would go used to save on some money.

The system will be in the main living room where the vast majority of TV watching is just casual. There is a dedicated space for a music/HT system upstairs. With those factors in mind I'm not interested in breaking the bank. I'll definitely consider used. That's why I'm asking for help, because there is so much out there that I have no experience with. I'm also keen on the idea of trying something outside of the "norm".

Yesfan70 said:
What are your thoughts on the Mini monitors? They have a bit more low end than the Titans, so that may give you more flexibilty in the bass management area.

I've only heard the Minis in a showroom and I've never heard the Titans. I'd have thought the Minis too small for front L/R duty in a space of this size. Then again the listening position will only be about 15' from the speakers. I'll have to give the Minis more consideration.

gem2.jpg
voice2.jpg
gem2.jpg

If you're going to do something, you may as well do it right! :handgestures-thumbup:

$20,000 for three speakers and stands is a little out of my price range... but maybe I can find a used set for sale with a 90% discount.

Towen7 said:
With those factors in mind I'm not interested in breaking the bank.
Ooops. I missed that little tidbit.

With that now in mind, I amend my suggestion to the following Sony :laughing-rolling: speakers.

2825720_f260.jpg
11549.jpg

Is $120 too much to spend on this trio?

Zing said:
Towen7 said:
With those factors in mind I'm not interested in breaking the bank.
Ooops. I missed that little tidbit.

With that now in mind, I amend my suggestion to the following Sony speakers :laughing-rolling: speakers.

:text-bravo: All or nothing, no compromise... That's why I like you so much.

I like the titans and the 290. Lots of good deals for PAradigm stuff on ebay these days. What color are you looking for?

Price range/budget?

Color - Dunno. It will be tough to match the color of the wood floors and the (as yet un-purchased) accent furniture, so black will probably be the best choice to keep from having a mish-mash of wood grains.

Price range - First of all I have zero problems buying used gear. I'l like to get all three speakers for less than $1,500.

I was going to suggest the SVS MBS-01 but they are listed as "back ordered" on the site.

Flint said:
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_40_402_275&products_id=8767

loki-cabs-kits-horiz.jpg

I think those as surround speakers would sound great with 3 Odins up front.

Yesfan70 said:
Flint said:
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_40_402_275&products_id=8767

loki-cabs-kits-horiz.jpg

I think those as surround speakers would sound great with 3 Odins up front.

How bout 2 Thors and an Odin up front, 2 Odin surrouds?

Rope

I like the suggestion of DIY speakers but the Odins are more than $1500 without the cabinets. That completely blows my budget and we haven't even accounted for the cost of constructing the Odin cabs and another $300 for the Loki.

If this is a secondary system..why not just go 2.0?

My family room is 2.0 and I really don't miss the surround for movies.

Based on your first post, I wouldn't spend much money at all on these. My family room is a pair of Klipsch Reference floorstanders...they look decent and work for casual TV viewing / movie watching and non-critical listening.

Alright, enough pussy-footin' around! You've specified a budget but how about specifying some goals or expectations?

In your OP, you stated these speakers will be used for "casual TV watching 90% of time", an occasional movie and for background music during gatherings. Given those scenarios, just about anything will suffice, including those Sony speakers I jokingly suggested. So if you can offer some insight as to what you hope to achieve with this system, it will narrow down the possibilities significantly.

A few questions:
- are you looking to make a statement?
- do you want them to (visually) disappear in the room?
- is sound quality your top priority?

Towen7 said:
I like the suggestion of DIY speakers but the Odins are more than $1500 without the cabinets. That completely blows my budget and we haven't even accounted for the cost of constructing the Odin cabs and another $300 for the Loki.

Not sure what you want. The Loki is a great speaker by itself.

Sorry for trying to get a audio related discussion going. Carry-on.

Back