• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker Stand Isolation Test

The only way to perform this sort of test is to keep the mics in the same position and use one pair of speakers. Record the sound without the isolation feet and re-record it after adding the feet. You would have to trust the creators of the demonstration didn't use electronic or other means to manipulate the sound differently for one test versus the other, which is what they were trying to assure in the video above.

It was so obvious that the two sets of speakers sounded different to the microphones before they added the isolation device. What was the point of comparing the speakers? Nothing!

An even better test would be to use a binaural recording setup to record the speakers without and with the isolation device and show, somehow, that the recording settings did not change. In fact, I would do the test multiple times with the binaural mic head in different positions.

Hey I have a bunch of those laying around my garage. In truth I actually place those foam pads behind my large framed pictures to stop them from vibrating when the subs kick on. Easy to cut to size and place behind the picture to act as an isolation between the picture and the wall. I try to keep my room as silent as possible and have to use these "tricks" to keep everything isolated and hidden.

In fact in that photo I posted above there is a cut to size foam pad behind that framed glass picture, works great.

MatthewB said:
In truth I actually place those foam pads behind my large framed pictures to stop them from vibrating when the subs kick on.
What about on top of the sub? :idea:

Attachments

• THX home cinema foam 2.jpg
    THX home cinema foam 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 578
Flint said:
The only way to perform this sort of test is to keep the mics in the same position and use one pair of speakers. Record the sound without the isolation feet and re-record it after adding the feet. You would have to trust the creators of the demonstration didn't use electronic or other means to manipulate the sound differently for one test versus the other, which is what they were trying to assure in the video above.

It was so obvious that the two sets of speakers sounded different to the microphones before they added the isolation device. What was the point of comparing the speakers? Nothing!

An even better test would be to use a binaural recording setup to record the speakers without and with the isolation device and show, somehow, that the recording settings did not change. In fact, I would do the test multiple times with the binaural mic head in different positions.

Agreed but they would also have to show that a mic placement that was not moved would also line up on the speaker changes to ensure the same position and distance to the speakers hi or low or forward to back. By changing the height of the stand for the speaker to ensure that added tested device did not change the speaker to room to mic interaction.

It really depends... I get the impression one of the marketed benefits to these specific isolation stands is the fact they raise and tilt the monitors. If that is one of the benefits, then demonstrating how the sound is improved by raising and/or tilting the monitors is justified.

Flint said:
I get the impression one of the marketed benefits to these specific isolation stands is the fact they raise and tilt the monitors.
I believe that's a benefit, yes, but their main selling point is that they absorb the vibration energy of monitors on 3 axes (or at least 2) unlike the alternatives which only absorb on 1 axis.

Back