• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker Stand Isolation Test

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
Recently, I've found myself needing a pair of studio monitors. In my research, I came across this video.

I found something extremely odd in this video and I'd be curious to know if anyone else notices it too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOjMbrJwDY[/youtube]

Well they didn't explain the results through any kind of measurement. That seems odd. Seems they just played back the difference in sound. I kind of preferred the sound of A.

The video is essentially this:

Here's how speaker A sounds without our product.
Here's how speaker B sounds without our product.
Here's how speaker B sounds with our product.

What was the point of even having speaker A to begin with?

Strangely, the greatest difference I noticed was going from speaker A to speaker B (which had nothing to do with their mounts).

Zing said:
The video is essentially this:

Here's how speaker B sounds without our product.
Here's how speaker B sounds with our product.

What was the point of even having speaker A to begin with?

Strangely, the greatest difference I noticed was going from speaker A to speaker B (which had nothing to do with their mounts).

I think speaker A is used as a baseline. Before they place speaker B on their stand the difference in sound between A and B is more subtle (to my ear anyway). When they put in their stand the difference was more pronounced. But they were moved to a different height and the microphone stayed in the same place. In general I thought they needed more explanation of the results.

It was a stupid test. They were trying to make something complicated seem simple. They failed on so many levels.

If they would have taken the time to do their research and place the IsoAcoustics Stand atop these:
2.jpg

What a magnificent sound they would have achieved.

Rope

I placed a mopad on my legs under my laptop while listening and was flabbergasted by the additional clarity, smoothness, and bass response.

AndySTL said:
I think speaker A is used as a baseline. Before they place speaker B on their stand the difference in sound between A and B is more subtle (to my ear anyway). When they put in their stand the difference was more pronounced. But they were moved to a different height and the microphone stayed in the same place. In general I thought they needed more explanation of the results.
While still lacking any explanation of the results, this video is at least a better representation of an A/B comparison because it doesn't involve a C like the first video did.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-cSuKzu_w[/youtube]

Y'know, it wouldn't be that difficult to just build a shorter, steel stand so the speakers are the same height in the first place...

Flint said:
It was a stupid test. They were trying to make something complicated seem simple. They failed on so many levels.
+1 based on what I've been told by the experts over the years. To do a meaningful A/B of speakers, it has to be double blind, level matched and quick switching. To do quick switching, there has to be shifters that can move the speakers into and out of same position within a few seconds and such contraption costs many hundred K $. Only the major companies like JBL / Harman International have such thing.

Here's a video on basic price range of studio monitors.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfD7RnC7P6Q[/youtube]

It's good to have audio related topic on Audioannex. :eusa-whistle:

Botch said:
Y'know, it wouldn't be that difficult to just build a shorter, steel stand so the speakers are the same height in the first place...
They're not saying the height of the stand or the height of the monitor sitting on a stand is the benefit but rather the stand itself.

IS_ISOL8R155.jpg

And for the record, I'm not promoting, nor am I condemning, the use of their products. I just wasn't clear why they used an extra set of speakers.

I listened to and chose my studio monitors based on a setup very much like that above. I really liked the JBLs (can't remember their number, they had elliptical tweeter horns) but they were out of my price range; I ended up with Tannoy Reveals, plus Tannoy's subwoofer. That morning was also my first exposure to 5.1, they had it set up in an adjoining "living" room setup and I listened to a few tracks from The Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over". I'll always remember that (and I need to buy that damn video!) :music-listening:

Zing said:
Botch said:
They're not saying the height of the stand or the height of the monitor sitting on a stand is the benefit but rather the stand itself.

Understood. You just can't compare the sound of the two when there's that much height difference so close to a horizontal, hard, reflective surface (the mixing board itself). It would be like comparing the two, one sitting directly on the floor, and the other sitting on the I$Oacoustics, up in the air 9" or so; you won't know if the sound difference is due to the stand, or the location of the speaker.

I just went old school. Found two flat plant stands that's base plate was just large enough to hold a bookshelf speaker. Painted it black (originally it was gold colored) then placed mopads under them and supported them with flat bungee cords. Plants stands were 5.00 pair at goodwill, paint was 2.00 bungee cord 2.00/ea and mopads 30.00 so for 40.00 I got perfect speaker stands that offer isolation. DIY sometimes has has its benefits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 741
MatthewB said:
I just went old school. Found two flat plant stands that's base plate was just large enough to hold a bookshelf speaker. Painted it black (originally it was gold colored) then placed mopads under them and supported them with flat bungee cords. Plants stands were 5.00 pair at goodwill, paint was 2.00 bungee cord 2.00/ea and mopads 30.00 so for 40.00 I got perfect speaker stands that offer isolation. DIY sometimes has has its benefits.
And instead of mopads you could've gone with shelf liner like I did. :twocents-mytwocents:

Back