• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speakers Comprable to Studio 20's??

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
During my 5.1 upgrade, I ended up with an idea (that my wife is not crazy about).

Since I ended up with an extra amp; Parasound HCA-1000A, why don't a put a small system in our office, besides this is where I have my CP-33 Stage Piano and I love to jam to music (this is a great stress reliever for me).

The wife says..........sell the amp!

I say "system in the office". She said "then there better be some good use of it, and I better here you jamming often".

Since I purchased Studio 20's for the rears of my 5.1 system, I have not seen any older ones for sale on ebay or audiogon.

So my question for you guy's is...............

What other used speakers would sound comparable to the Studio 20's???

I am in no rush, however would like something that would sound good. The room is approx. 12 x 12.

:text-feedback:

Paradigm Atom would be my suggestion. I run a pair in my bedroom without a sub and they sound great. The Mini Monitor or Titan would be a good choice too, but the Atom is completely sufficient. Used are usuall $1/125, I lucked out and got a pair for $40 on Craigslist.

The speaker I think sounds most like the Studio 20 is the Studio 20. If you can wait, then I recommend waiting. Someone will surely be selling a pair over the next few months.

You can also look into PSB, Energy, and most of the other Canadian companies founded in the 1980s.

Flint said:
The speaker I think sounds most like the Studio 20 is the Studio 20. If you can wait, then I recommend waiting. Someone will surely be selling a pair over the next few months.

You can also look into PSB, Energy, and most of the other Canadian companies founded in the 1980s.

Facinating. Who'd have thunk it? :teasing-neener:

Rope

Yea...........I was going to respond, however sometimes Flint is just Flint.........ya know! :laughing-rolling:

Cough....cough.....KLIPSCH! Cough.....Cough......Klipsch!

Geezzze, I must of picked up a cold or something! Cough! :text-imsorry:

Dennie :music-listening:

heeman,

If you're wanting to stay with Paradigm, there's a member over at S&V that's selling his Paradigm setup. (link).

He's willing to part it out if you can't buy the whole 5.1 setup. PM him and see what he wants for it.

Dennie said:

It sounds more serious than that! :?

I own both a pair of the Studio 20 v.2 (thanks to PaulyT) and a pair of Titan v.2's. In fact the 20s are sitting where the Titan's used to sit - in my family room theatre.

In that less-than-optimal setting (on the top of a bookcase, near the ceiling, lying on their sides) I quite honestly don't recall that either sounds better or worse than the other.

The Titans are now doing rear surround duty in my main HT. To check out the amp that's connected to them I once ran them in straight stereo mode. They sounded pretty good in that room.

I did have the 20s set up in that room when I first got them: right where my Koss CM/1010s are now sitting. I recall the 20s sounded very very good. Better in that room than the Titans. Cleaner, more extended bass. Greater dynamics. But still very much the same on most music from the mid-bass on up.

All this to say that for non-critical listening, a pair of used Titans at a fraction of the cost of a pair of used 20s, would be a good deal and a good move in my opinion.

And by the by, the 20s were replaced by the 1010s because I think the 1010s sound even better, overall. Used pairs in very good shape can be had for $100-125 (half that if in so-so shape) - but almost all will need some refurbishing which will make for a higher installed price. If anyone is thinking of buying a pair, PM me and I can give you more advice / info / help.

And I agree with Flint: there are a number of Canadian brands whose older models in particular (when they were really putting into play what they'd learned while working in a pre-competitive consortium run by Canada's National Research Council) sound very much the same, or at least very similar. Once established, the designs and differences varied one from the other more and more, however I think they still share the same sound qualities, since the nature of the work way back then was to identify what sounded best to the vast majority of listeners, and that's really not changed since.

Just my $0.0197US worth - at today's exchange rate.

Jeff Mackwood

Dennie said:

I would love a pair of Heresy's..............they were my favorite during my college days!

Jeff,

Thanks for that input!!

Will focus more on that tomorrow, it has been a full evening setting up the new components.

Heeman

Dennie said:

Dennie,

The only experience I have with Klipsch is with the Heresy's. AND I LOVE THEM!!!

I will not be able to fit them in my office, however do you recommend one of their other series??

Thanks!

Heeman

heeman said:
Dennie said:

Dennie,

The only experience I have with Klipsch is with the Heresy's. AND I LOVE THEM!!!

I will not be able to fit them in my office, however do you recommend one of their other series??

Thanks!

Heeman

Probably some of the smaller bookshelfs from their Reference line would do.

NHT Super One's are an over looked speaker that is a great performer at the're price point. Also the Polk LSI 9's are another great sounding speaker I would put in the same class as the studio's. The NHT's would be a step bellow.

heeman said:
Dennie said:

Dennie,

Thanks!

Heeman
I think the Heresy III would be a great speaker for you!

500x500.aspx

At $799 each they are one of the best deals in speakers today!

Here is the link --> http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/

If you can't fit them into your office, then your office is too small!

You know, if you put a piece of plywood over these, you could use it as a desk when necessary....

lascala-A.jpg

Dennie :eusa-clap:

Dennie.............you are killing me!!!

I had recommended Heresy's to 4 of my friends in the past and they were just head over heels about them.

I have been looking on Ebay and Audiogon and there are quite a few used on there and my finger is getting itchy. Right now is not the time, however one day maybe????

Do you have any experience with any of the Klipsch smaller speakers??

Randy said:
"Do you have any experience with any of the Klipsch smaller speakers??"

They are not the same. The Klipsch heritage line is in a class all it's own compared to their other stuff

Randy is right. I've heard good things about the Reference line, but I've never heard them. The Heritage series is in a league of there own and the other Klipsch lines just don't/can't compare.

As you can see, the Heresy is rather small......compared to the Mighty Khorn and LaScala II....

DSC01619.JPG

Dennie :teasing-tease:

Back