• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Star Trek: Picard

I get my CBS All Access through Prime, so mine is the same as all of my Prime shows that I watch. No complaints. I can't say that we've had any problems with playback at all.

As far as Picard goes, I'm kind of in agreement. I'm a few shows behind the current episode, but I watched the episode last night where they are trying to sell 7 of 9 to the lady that wants all the Borg parts, and it was almost playing like a sitcom. I'll finish the series, but it's no Star Trek Discovery.

I get my CBS All Access through Prime, so mine is the same as all of my Prime shows that I watch. No complaints. I can't say that we've had any problems with playback at all.

As far as Picard goes, I'm kind of in agreement. I'm a few shows behind the current episode, but I watched the episode last night where they are trying to sell 7 of 9 to the lady that wants all the Borg parts, and it was almost playing like a sitcom. I'll finish the series, but it's no Star Trek Discovery.

I think you guys want too much. I think "Picard" is a very nice show. It plays similarly to the majority of the Star Trek series, especially Deep Space 9. Never forget, most Start Trek series were less action and more about good humans dealing with interpersonal issues with bad humans and aliens and non-human cultures. They are generally explorations of human morality and ethics versus the strange and generally "unacceptable" aspects of non-human cultures (all clearly barely shrouded allegories to current affairs in our real lives - all the bad guys are clearly reflections of political, military, or cultural "evil" leaders or groups in our current lives). Star Trek is a morality tale for our period.

I think you guys have forgotten that Star Trek isn't and hasn't ever been the action packed, high energy, race to the finish story as we currently get in most other sci-fi and superhero shows.

Last edited:
I think you guys want too much. I think "Piccard" is a very nice show. It plays similarly to the majority of the Star Trek series, especially Deep Space 9. Never forget, most Start Trek series were less action and more about good humans dealing with interpersonal issues with bad humans and aliens and non-human cultures. They are generally explorations of human morality and ethics versus the strange and generally "unacceptable" aspects of non-human cultures (all clearly barely shrouded allegories to current affairs in our real lives - all the bad guys are clearly reflections of political, military, or cultural "evil" leaders or groups in our current lives). Star Trek is a morality tale for our period.

I think you guys have forgotten that Star Trek isn't and hasn't ever been the action packed, high energy, race to the finish story as we currently get in most other sci-fi and superhero shows.
Agree completely with your assessment, but I'm not sure Picard knows what it wants to be. Do I hate the show? No, not at all. Was hoping they do more with the Romulan kid, but I'm only 3 or 4 episodes in, so maybe they do. He was comic relief in the last episode I watched, so there's that.

Maybe if everyone had to sit through the entire second season of Star Trek: TNG and be reminded that 80% of it is boring shit that was painful to wade through and thus making the interesting other 20% as exciting and entertaining as possible, maybe then they'd realize Picard is exceptionally better than that crap.

I think you guys want too much. I think "Picard" is a very nice show. It plays similarly to the majority of the Star Trek series, especially Deep Space 9. Never forget, most Start Trek series were less action and more about good humans dealing with interpersonal issues with bad humans and aliens and non-human cultures. They are generally explorations of human morality and ethics versus the strange and generally "unacceptable" aspects of non-human cultures (all clearly barely shrouded allegories to current affairs in our real lives - all the bad guys are clearly reflections of political, military, or cultural "evil" leaders or groups in our current lives). Star Trek is a morality tale for our period.

My opinion is not at all based on it being light on action. As you said Star Trek was never an "action" series per se (unlike the movies), I mentioned I feel the story line is weak. Better writers are needed. Also the acting is not the best IMO.

My opinion is not at all based on it being light on action. As you said Star Trek was never an "action" series per se (unlike the movies), I mentioned I feel the story line is weak. Better writers are needed. Also the acting is not the best IMO.

I am not disagreeing with that assessment... but again, may I direct you to every single Star Trek TV series prior to Picard as evidence that this assessment applies to all of them.

Wait...is Picard available through Amazon Prime? Thought I had no way to access this as I am not willing to pay for CBS All Access...

Wait...is Picard available through Amazon Prime? Thought I had no way to access this as I am not willing to pay for CBS All Access...

You can purchase the CBS All Access channel within Amazon Prime Video. Other channels such as HBO and Starz are also available for purchase.

I'm frustrated that the baddie in Picard looks identical to Spock in Star Trek: Discovery.

What Chuck said. Purchased through Prime so it shows up under my Prime offerings. I get HBO like that as well, although I should cancel it as we hardly ever watch HBO.
I'm frustrated that the baddie in Picard looks identical to Spock in Star Trek: Discovery.
I'm only 5 episodes in, and the one I think looks like Spock isn't a bad guy, yet.

I just finished the final two episodes of Picard and what a difference from the slow pace and subpar writing.

Granted part of the improvement was due to more action but these two episodes made watching the preceding and worth it.

I just finished the final two episodes of Picard and what a difference from the slow pace and subpar writing.

Granted part of the improvement was due to more action but these two episodes made watching the preceding and worth it.

Based solely on your comments, I restate what I said before. Star Trek was never an action show, other than "Enterprise" and "Discovery."

The interesting stuff in nearly all Star Trek series were ideas, concepts, allegory, and classical struggles of the human condition.

Back