• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Starting the search for a new TV.

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Some of you may remember that HDCP bit me and I can no longer connect my PS3 to my Sony SXRD (KDF-60XBR1) via HDMI due to HDCP issues (Component Video it has been for about a year). Well, yesterday I was watching Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows...and once the disc started playing, it would switch from HD In the PS3 menu to Standard Definition for the movie. I swear in all other movies I've been watching that are Blu-Rays, no such issue. Based on a quick Google search, an update to the PS3 a year ago, Blu-Ray movies will not play in HD via the component cables. ONLY via HDMI. I have to go back and test out some other movies and see if the same is happening (down-res for movies). Anyway...it is time to start looking around for a new display (not sure how soon I'll actually be prepared for a new display...)

Anyway. Light control is an issue in the room. 60" or greater. Budget...<$3k, but would really like to hit the low $2k or <$2k range.

Suggest away people.

so..on the reflective plasma in a brightly lit room discussion...has it gotten any better? Or the glass is basically the same as it was 5 years ago? I had a plasma in this room for 1 day (before I moved it up to my bedroom I just plugged it in and messed with it while we were moving furniture around etc) and the angle of the sun in the morning made it unwatchable. I'll consider Plasma only if this issue has gotten better over time.

The DirtMerchant said:
I'll consider Plasma only if this issue has gotten better over time.

There are a handfull of plasma sets with an antireflective screen. Thats said if it was that big of an issue you should probably just stay away from them and limit your search to LCD/LED sets. Even then you may consider using a stand or wall mount that uses a bracket that allows a slight tilt to direct glare away.

I do not have what you seem to have as serious light issues. As Towen noted as a suggestion I do have wall mount and it is angled down. I do not have issue with reflecting off the glass. So, it is your room situation and what you choose. You asked for suggestions, so I offered up one. Personally, picture quality is my 1st priority. My eye test says Plasma far out performes LED/LCD

We have a 59" Plasma (1 yr old) in a den where the side wall is nothing but windows. The windows face the West.

If we are going to watch a movie during the day, we will pull the blinds, if we are going to watch casually, the reflection is not an issue, we have a lower end Samsung, paid $1100, last year.

Good Luck, Plasma all the way........ :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

If light were not an issue, I would definitely go plasma. With all answers saying the reflections aren't that bad...maybe I should consider it...

Aren't there 65" plasmas out there?

And they are cheaper than t heir LCD brethren aren't they?

I just bought this TV. Mitsubishi is getting out of the display market I believe, but dollar for dollar, DLP's are great value.

A general question for your guys: why would one TV be more "reflective" than another, based on whether its an LCD or plasma? I had narrowed down my tv selection to two 47", local-dimming LEDs at a local place; the salesman (who was very knowledgeable) told me the screens on the two sets were made by the same manufacturer, but that the LG model (which I ended up getting) had a matte screen, the other (Toshiba?) had a glossy screen. He told me to notice how badly the other set reflected the lights in the store, and that sold me. My room has windows on two sides, and I couldn't be happier with this set.
But, again, that's the surface of the glass, which can be manufactured either way. How does LCD vs plasma make a difference? :think:

ALL plasma panels have glass, it's just the way they're manufactured. I'm not sure why some LCD/LED sets are more reflective than others, but they don't have to have glass as part of the manufacturing process.

I think the whole reflective thing is a bunch of overblown nonesense. I have a window directly behind me when I watch my LED and while it is POSSIBLE to watch tv with the shades open, it is no where near enjoyable.

So I personally think any amount of ambient light is ok, but direct reflections are going to be problematic no matter which technology you go with.

I hear people who say plasma is so much better but they reflect, they're heavy as hell and they put out a ton of heat. I love my LED.

You are referencing Plasma of the past. The technolgy has moved forward. The weight of my GT30 55' is 70 lbs. and it is cool to the touch. No heat. Again, my eye test... PQ is far superior in Plasma compared to LED/LCD. Everyone sees things through their eyes and I can respect that.

I'll give you the heat, but weight is still an issue for me. We are just not set it and forget it people. I am always dicking with my stuff and our 2 year old 50" plasma hanging on the wall is harder to deal with than my 65 inch LED. BUT I will give you that plasma has superior picture. Very smooth. But the degree of superiority is debateble.

I'll give you the heat, but weight is still an issue for me. We are just not set it and forget it people. I am always dicking with my stuff and our 2 year old 50" plasma hanging on the wall is harder to deal with than my 65 inch LED. BUT I will give you that plasma has superior picture. Very smooth. But the degree of superiority is debateble.

from the link you provided i looked up the 55" and it's 58 lbs. GT30 55' 70 lbs. yes heavier, but not that much. Again it is all your preference and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Back