• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Steinway Lyngdof speakers

Nufan

As anyone heard anything about these. They are beautiful and I would love to hear them.
COF might like to know they claim to be able to reproduce the same sound in ANY room, regaurdless of the acoustics!

They apply many of the principles I have been promoting on the forums for a decade. Their "boundary woofer" technology is identical to my "stick the sub in the corner" advice. Their wide baffles reflect my advice and my own designs. Their Tweeter / Midrange designs are always vertical just like my lectures on center channel speakers. Their large speaker driver arrangements are symmetrical like all of my MTM or WMTMW designs and advice. They take advantage of the D'Appolito arrangements as I have always done. They use room correcting software as I have done since moving to digital crossovers. They use active crossovers as I have always recommended.

Assuming they have good voicing and decent drivers, I imagine they sound pretty damn good.

However, it is absolutely impossible of a single speaker to sound identical in every room you could put it in. While it could have the same voicing and frequency balance, you cannot change the room's impact with echos and reverb.

Hey! Lookie there!!! They only have a handful of dealers in North America and one of them is right here in Austin!!!

I need to go visit them. I've never heard of the place - Avai. Hmm... might be a good time.

I also noticed that in all of their "showcase" rooms the speakers are flush mounted in the walls. This is a great idea and one I have promoted here.

Really, these guys are using the right design ideas. If they are voiced well and the drivers are decent...

Looks interesting! Keep us posted on your audition. :D

ModelCwindow_Capv9_710x320.jpg

Rope

So here's my 90/1 (performance / fraction of the price) suggestion:

1. Acquire two used pairs of Koss CM/1030 speakers - with drivers intact and fully-functional, and cabinets in good shape.

2. Fully refurbish their crossovers / switches.

3. Place one pair atop the other - tweeter-to-tweeter - creating a very similar speaker array to the big Steinways.

4. Power them with a couple of 200W/ch stereo amps.

Total cost (n/incl amps): ~$1k-$2k.

Sound: big; room-filling; full-range; dynamic; clean.

Now (like Wards says) take the difference that you woulda spent on the Steinways and buy a really nice retirement / vacation property in just about any place in the US to set them up in!

Not saying I wouldn't love to hear the Steinways, nor own a pair if I had a huge amount of disposable cash available, but the attributes that come to mind when I see them in the pic above very closely match what I know the Koss "stacks" can produce.

But I'm far from unbiased here! :)

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
3. Place one pair atop the other - tweeter-to-tweeter - creating a very similar speaker array to the big Steinways.
Not trying to spoil your enjoyment of speakers but the Steinway pictured looks more like 1 tweeter and 2 mid woofers above and below it, then woofers above and below those. :twocents-mytwocents:

Model-D_window-High-Res_710x320.jpg

They look like Art Deco refrigerators with ice & water dispensers to me.

But I don't get out much.......... :?

DIYer said:
Not trying to spoil your enjoyment of speakers but the Steinway pictured looks more like 1 tweeter and 2 mid woofers above and below it, then woofers above and below those. :twocents-mytwocents:\

Well I did use the word "similar."

As to "more like" you are correct. Only the Model D uses a single tweeter, two mids, and four woofers in what looks like a near-classic D'Appolito array to me.

I've often described a Koss CM/1030 stack as a "modified D'Appolito array" or even "D'Appolito-like." While the D is a three-way design, the 1030 is four way: tweeter, treble tweeter, (dual side-by-side) mids, woofer. Stacked, it places the highest frequency drivers in the centre. To the ear it sounds very much like a single tweeter. (I tried to post a pic but once again I get a "the image you tried to post is invalid" message.)

However there are tons of real differences between the two, most notably (at least to me) that the D operates as a dipole speaker - which the 1030 is most definitely not. Throw in digital amps and room EQ etc. and it's obviously even more different.

But I guess my (tongue-in-cheek) point was that (based entirely on the posted photo of the D) if you wanted an 81" high, 125lb speaker with woofers on the ends and tweeter in the middle, you might want to try a 78" high, 148 lb stack of 1030s - and treat yourself to a condo to put them in. :)

Jeff

Back