• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Still buy dvds?

emoxley

I haven't bought a dvd since I got my blu ray player, and don't really intend to. Netflix has sent a couple of dvds because those movies weren't on blu ray. I have 1000+ dvds I'll keep, and watch some of them between Netflix deliveries, when I'm bored.
Any of you blu ray owners still buy dvds?

emoxley said:
I haven't bought a dvd since I got my blu ray player, and don't really intend to.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I was buying BDs like a madman when I bought my first player about 3 years ago - to the tune of 6-8 per month. The last year or so I've calmed down quite a bit. I bet I haven't bought more than 12 so far this year.

I haven't bought a DVD (or BD for that matter) in ages.

I've been too busy lately to take the time to sit and watch a movie. And when I do it's not something I had planned so we just see what's on cable or on-demand. Once things settle down and I have my HT sytem back in one piece, I'll get back on the BD train.

But to answer your question... I'd buy a DVD if I see no PQ or SQ advantage to owning the BD. What I mean is it the movie relies heavily on the visual or sonic impact than I'll get the BD.

I've gotten a few DVDs that weren't available in BD, like Joe B. or a Tommy Emmanuel concert I just got. But if there's a choice, and of course if the original material isn't SD (e.g. old movies or TV shows), I'd now get BD every time. Though I don't really buy all that many videos anyway, especially compared to CDs. (And yes, I do buy CDs and not downloads!)

I sitll buy DVDs of older movies and TV shows. I don't see any value is paying extra for a BluRay of an old videotape recorded TV show from the 1970s. I've seen Barney Miller on HD, and it looks worse upscaled than it does native.

I bought a DVD, it came with a bonus Blu-ray! Go figure. :laughing-rolling:

Rope

Well, let's see. I have about 2500 DVD's and yes, I still buy them on occasion. Mostly concerts and documentaries and almost always used. I did buy "Life" the David Attenbourogh (sp) version, new.

I don't have a blu-ray player and I don't think I am going to get one. I'll just wait a while for the next big thing.

Dennie

I still do, especially if its a movie I'll probably only watch once or twice, and HD doesn't matter (frrinstance, I got all three "American Pie" films for $9, and will probably watch them all one more time).

Man, some of you guys have some serious collections going on. I have maybe 200 DVDs at most. I spend all my money on CDs.

Yesfan70 said:
Man, some of you guys have some serious collections going on. I have maybe 200 DVDs at most. I spend all my money on CDs.

Ditto ---

When I puchase DVDs (or BluRay discs) it is to get something I know I want to see, but not while it is "hot" or when I see something on Disc I never knew existed, but which looks amazing to me. I buy about 15 titles a year on video, but I buy 100s of CDs a year.

Flint said:
Yesfan70 said:

Ditto ---

When I puchase DVDs (or BluRay discs) it is to get something I know I want to see, but not while it is "hot" or when I see something on Disc I never knew existed, but which looks amazing to me. I buy about 15 titles a year on video, but I buy 100s of CDs a year.

I might buy half as many CDs a year. I love movies, but music is my weakness. For something I have a love for (like Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, or Star Trek) sure I'll buy those. The rest are usually just "see once rentals". Music is different. There's a still a few CDs I've bought about 20 years ago that I have been going back to listen.

Flint said:
I sitll buy DVDs of older movies and TV shows. I don't see any value is paying extra for a BluRay of an old videotape recorded TV show from the 1970s. I've seen Barney Miller on HD, and it looks worse upscaled than it does native.

I do the same. any TV shows are in DVD ( Bones, that 70"s Show).

And older movies I recently bought Charge of the Light Brigade, Gunga Din, and To Have and Have Not on DVD. True they are not available on BR but i doubt they would look much better.

I did get the African Queen on BR and that was well worth it. Great transfer.

With older content, especially b&w films, is there really a difference between DVD (assumming, upconverted via HDMI) and Bluray?

Mostly buying DVD's of kid's stuff for my daughter. Dora, Scooby Doo, Veggie Tales, Barbie etc... Mostly because her play room does not have a BR player and they are good for portable DVD when we travel etc...

I do get the BR's of the Disney films though, most come with a DVD disc as well.

When I'm browsing in BB or Target I'll grab a handful of DVD's that are $9.99 or less. Just like Flint said, older films or TV shows etc...

I have been taking the same approach.

I also still buy standard DVD's of older less effects oriented movies... have been taking advantage of sales a used disc dumps by rental stores to beef up my collection. But if it's a newer title I just go for the bluray. Hard to go back once you get spoiled by the improved audio/video.

Monkey

I rarely buy a DVD....my wife checks out a surprising supply of good movies from the library and if they are any good I time shift them to DVD-R for rewatching for my own use as i see fit.

Everything else standard ...I rent and time shift thru the week for watching @ our leisure.
I will buy exceptional Blu-ray films that suit my taste.

Rope said:
I bought a DVD, it came with a bonus Blu-ray! Go figure. :laughing-rolling:

Rope

I thought of MattB when I saw that. Of course it was more along the line of Matt saying, "I bought an HD-DVD movie and they threw in a player."

John

i have been using redbox latley,i usually dont watch too many movies in the summer(me and the wife are big baseball fans),and i try to cacth up in winter.--at $1 and $1.50 for bluray i think i will wacth many more.for special favorites i will buy in blueray,master and commander-armageddon,saving private ryan and lotr and of course grandkids favs,cars-topgun ect..for most animated i still buy std. dvd since the grand kids handle them on there own tv and at 3 they get ruined after a while and they sre cheaper. i still buy some std.dvd for music since blueray is way behind for concerts.

Back