• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Studio 20's

heeman said:
I hope to have the system set-up and calibrated by the end of this up coming weekend.

I will probably use the Audyssey Dynamic EQ on board calibration.

Still learning about the 5.1 and the receiver.

I like things simple with few options........ :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

You may find (like a lot of us here) that Audyssey is helpful, but not quite right. I get consistant results with it. But I end up tweaking it pretty heavily once measured with something as basic as the RS meter. In fact, I don't even bother using Audyssey anymore. SH's DIY calibration mic, and REW running on my laptop gives me the best results I've been able to get so far. But I understand not wanting to deal with the kind of learning curve that comes with new software. Audyssey may get you pointed in the right direction. In the end, it's all about how much you enjoy listening to your toys!

Still learning and being patient about this whole 5.1 experiance and step up.

I am sure that I will be asking you guys for all sorts of set up advise. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I have to admit, I am a little jealous!

My first "Surround Sound" system was back in '87 and I remember how cool it was. All the neighbors and our friends were in AWE!!! :dance:

Have someone take a picture of you the first time you watch a movie or concert! You're going to have this BIG GRIN that won't go away for 2 and a half days!

Have fun, take your time and remember we're here if you need us.

Oh, Home Depot or the like, have In Wall and regular speaker wire cheap and it works just fine.

Dennie

Dennie said:
Oh, Home Depot or the like, have In Wall and regular speaker wire cheap and it works just fine.

Dennie

I went to our Home Disappointment this past weekend and of course their 12/2 Speaker Wire was special order. Best Buys is useless, only 18 and 16 awg.

Today at lunch I went to Guitar Center and picked up 100' of 12/2; Live Wire Elite. Looks like nice stuff for $.79/foot. Then of course I looked at BlueJean and they had the Belden 5000 series 12/2 for $.53, but after shipping would have been about the same.

I will be asking all you great experianced guys for help........I am still taking baby steps with this project, because I respect it's complexity.

It was a good thing that I ran 2 dedicated 20Amp Circuits to the equipment area about 2 years ago, now that I will be running the SVS Sub Amp and 3 Power Amps. I should not have to worry about any significant voltage drops.

I am gonna have to take a look at Paradigm someday, all the buzz about the 20's has got my attention. I have had my PSB's for YEARS....still dont ever think of "upgrading" them, but I keep thinking about the 20's for my little 2-channel set up.

HEEMAN.......that system is gonna kick some serious ass!!

Hey Walls,

I had the 20's cranking yesterday with the little Parasound HCA-750A and they sounded great.

If you pick up a used pair in great shape, like I did it is just an incredible deal.

The Paradigm Dealer in Corpus Christi, TX told me the Studio 20's new are like $725 EACH!!! I picked up these beauties for less than $400 for both!!

I can't wait to get this system set-up.............I am working on the Ceiling Mounts for the 20's today.

heeman said:
The Paradigm Dealer in Corpus Christi, TX told me the Studio 20's new are like $725 EACH!!!
I think your dealer was lying to you. If I remember correctly the MSRP for the Studio 20s was $800 a pair.

Even at that $400 for a good used pair sounds like a good deal. How is overall bass response with these WITHOUT a sub?

I did not have them placed very well in the room, in fact I had them on the floor pointing up slightly. The bass was not lacking at all.

Just called a dealer in the Houston Area and they quoted me $649 each with a little room to bargain. I am sure there are good deals to be had out there!

Considering the price range of new Studio 20's, I'd be inclined to audition a new pair of SVS MBS-02's first at $899/pair. The previous model MBS-01 evaluated by members of the S&V forum was stiff competition for the Studio 20.

Used 20's would be good - if you can find them.

Used 20's come up on Audiogon and eBay fairly often. If you are patient you can find them used. If you are really patient, you can even find singles to use for center.

Back