• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

sub trap

nats

trying to plan room treatments is very difficult (waf) especially talking corner bass trapping. asc sub trap isnt too big considering it and the sub would still be lower then the front speakers and equipment rack(at least that would be my debating point) and it looks like something even an ameture could diy at a fraction of there cost. does there theory on these have any validity? or is this more marketing? sorry,still dont know how to paste from other sites yet.

When it comes to bass, size matters. Big subwoofers almost universally outperform small subwoofers (of similar quality and price) and big bass traps typically outperform small bass traps. The ASC design is good, but it isn't big enough to really make a difference alone. Many of them would be required to come anywhere close to the level of bass control that a single "superchunk" corner trap could provide. The only small bass traps I've been impressed with are the RPG Modex products.

The bass trap I built (plan on more in the future) was a superchunk design made to look like a shelf. A compromise of quality vs. design. Basically, I cut each 2x4' panel in half, creating 2 - 2x2' panels. Then, diagonal cut to form the wedges. In the corner on top of the baseboard molding I attached a triangular piece of 3/4" plywood using 3/4" strips attached to wall. Then I stacked the fiberglass to the desired height. I could/should have gone to the ceiling, but decided to end at a height that would give me clearance to set a couple of "decor" items on top of. I attached another triangular piece of plywood (pained gloss black) on top. Made a frame using 1" molding strips with black burlap stapled to the back and attached that (molding painted gloss black) to the plywood on top and bottom (like a speaker cover). In fact, it looks like a speaker in the corner of the room. However, instead of burlap, you could use thin laminate and paint it all the same as the wall color. Attach molding across the bottom and you have a bass trap that looks like a built-in shelf.

I used burlap as I wanted the unit to stand out from the room while looking similar to my audio rack in the opposite corner.

I think bass traps can be made quite easily to be disguised more so than other treatments. Hard to hide fiberglass panels attached to walls.

I believe the sexiest bass traps can be soffits around the ceiling to wall corner. Going in one foot from the side wall and down from the ceiling and filling all of that area with fiberglass and covering it with fabric or whatever looks amazing and is a massively effective design.

Are ceiling/wall traps effective if that corner is not 90 degrees? My room, for instance, has a 45 degree transition at 8 feet and another at 10 feet.

Super Chunk Bass Trap

Vinyl made some outstanding Super Chunk traps for his listening area.

Here's a shot of my right front corner Super Chunked and covered in black burlap.

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0262.JPG
    PICT0262.JPG
    712.8 KB · Views: 1,658
Flint said:
When it comes to bass, size matters. Big subwoofers almost universally outperform small subwoofers (of similar quality and price) and big bass traps typically outperform small bass traps. The ASC design is good, but it isn't big enough to really make a difference alone. Many of them would be required to come anywhere close to the level of bass control that a single "superchunk" corner trap could provide. The only small bass traps I've been impressed with are the RPG Modex products.
Flint,you mentioned before about filling a plastic garbage can with insulation And sealing the cover. I know bigger is better, But would a kicthen size can be some benifet? Also would an easy to hide bagfull of insulation behind And on the floor of the equipment cabinet or speakers benifet?

Here's my trash bag traps. OC 703 cut into triangles, about 5 triangles per bag (I think). Sorry the second one is so blurry. The camera was drunk that day.

100_1403.JPG

100_1404.JPG

Aaron German said:
Here's my trash bag traps. OC 703 cut into triangles, about 5 triangles per bag (I think). Sorry the second one is so blurry. The camera was drunk that day.

100_1403.JPG

100_1404.JPG
It works with the plastic bags?/no need to wrap in fabric for bass?

Plastic that thin is relatively transparent to bass frequencies.

nats said:

I have not put any good research into this, but I figure the worst thing would be that some of the higher frequencies would be reflected off the plastic. But they would have been reflected off the wall anyhow. My understanding is that the low frequencies will go right through the plastic.

My ears tell me (and my wife's ears say the same thing): the bass response in the room is much tighter, cleaner, punchier.

The sad thing is that I have still not finished this project. I've had stacks of trash bags in my room for well over a year now.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who's a bit on the slow side w.r.t finishing stuff... ;)

PaulyT said:
Ah, so I'm not the only one who's a bit on the slow side w.r.t finishing stuff... ;)

No. But at lest you have the excuse of having multiple projects your working on.

On the other hand, these traps serve their purpose. So, one might say they are done. But speakers and x-overs that are not finished being built cannot serve their purpose.

Looks like I did finish these projects, and you're back on your own Paul. :teasing-tease:

Aaron German said:
nats said:

I have not put any good research into this, but I figure the worst thing would be that some of the higher frequencies would be reflected off the plastic. But they would have been reflected off the wall anyhow. My understanding is that the low frequencies will go right through the plastic.

My ears tell me (and my wife's ears say the same thing): the bass response in the room is much tighter, cleaner, punchier.

Depending on the thickness of the plastic, most of the sound will pass right through it. The highest frequencies will reflect, but you are essentially making a diffusor for the those frequencies, which is also a good thing.

I've never use plastic bags, I purchased thick batting insulation which came wrapped in plastic from the store. It works perfectly for this. I would make a 16" x 16" column of the stuff running along the wall/ceiling junction.

Rope said:
Vinyl :text-bump:

Rope

Sorry Rope I just saw this now.

The four Chunk Corners are 34" wide and were built upwards from the baseboards in the event of future carpeting – the space below the baseboards was later filled with similar triangles wrapped with two layers of construction poly sheeting same as the facing on the Chunks - if memory serves I believe it took 45/50 triangles per corner - each sheet of OC 73 yields 4 triangles for the 34" width.

Photo above shows trim encasing the cloth/Chunk sans the bottom triangles.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    807.6 KB · Views: 1,536
  • NW.JPG
    NW.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 1,536
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,536
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 1,534
Vinyl -

Your traps and treatments are just plain damn fine. Kudos to Vinyl and Super Chunks!

Rope

Back