1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Folks, I'm playing with the behavior of the titles and banners; you may want to read the relevant thread in the Forum Suggestions area.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer as a statement piece in the room

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Wardsweb, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Renaissance man

Not for everyone, but this huge dual 12" tapped horn from Danley Sound Labs rocks my home theater. It is veneered in Macassar ebony.

[​IMG]

Here is what it looks like inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GreatDane

GreatDane Well-Known Member

I love that room. Huge sound I'm sure. Friday night I'm going to visit a Head-Fi friend who has a ML setup. It sounds great. his sub pales next to yours. This is the first time for me seeing the internals. Sweet.

3. Snowman_

Snowman_ Active Member

Did the kit come with the drivers?

4. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Renaissance man

The kit came with everything except screws and glue. I bought some stainless decking screws and some polyurethane adhesive. It is all cut from baltic birch. I added the veneer.

5. Snowman_

Snowman_ Active Member

Very nice! When you get time, could you give us some close-ups of that fine veneer?

6. Zing

Zing Retired Admin Famous

Wards, I always meant to ask you about the seating in that room (and I'm almost afraid to read your answer). Is there only that sole chair in the sweet spot? Or are there others not captured in the picture?

7. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Renaissance man

The chair center config is when I'm listening or watching alone. When others are there, the chair moves to the right and there is a full couch that slides forward. I took the picture standing in front of the couch.

8. MatthewB

MatthewB Grandmaster Pimp Daddy Famous

There's a guy over at Audioholics (Warpdrive) who made his own dual 18" subwoofers (he has three he made so a total of six 18 drivers. Here's the subwoofer I dream of. :handgestures-thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The power to drive those 6 18" drivers.

[​IMG]

and a pic of his wife (who helped him build these for perspective as to how large these subs are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I was bad about subs, look at how close he sits to two of his three in the room monster subs. Holy Shit!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside with four king size pillows in each sub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DIYer

DIYer Well-Known Member Famous

Matt, do you notice anything about that setup? :roll:

10. MatthewB

No, what am I missing, those subs look killer to me and the guy who built them is right now at this moment calibrating with RTA.

11. DIYer

DIYer Well-Known Member Famous

Looks, yeah. But what about the way it sits on wood floor? Does he discuss bass traps?

12. MatthewB

You saw the picture with the girl in it correct, something tells me that the WAF is strong so bass traps may be an issue. That and his room is very bicely decorated, so i assume that some restrictions apply.

13. yromj

yromj Well-Known Member

14. PaulyT

PaulyT Behind the Curtain Staff Member Administrator Moderator Superstar

Welcome, John! Finally decided to post, huh? :D

15. goaliechris

goaliechris Active Member

Incredible looking room - congrats! That finish on the sub is impressive.

16. Botch

Botch I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S! Superstar

That's a lot of guitar fingerboards!

17. yromj

yromj Well-Known Member

Between work, no Internet service at home, and the divorce (yes it's still going on) I don't have much web time at all.

I asked about the flooring because I put Tigerwood down when in my house and HT and love it.

John

18. Huey

Huey Well-Known Member Famous

Sorry to hear about that!
    Rob

19. Maximo

Maximo Well-Known Member

Yeah no shit. Keep your head up big guy.

20. edgebsl

edgebsl Member

Wards, your screen is a good bit smaller than your sub lol!

Maybe you could squeeze a pull down in between those electrostatics?

For night time movie watching?

Nice gear though! Real nice.