• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Subwoofer as a statement piece in the room

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
Not for everyone, but this huge dual 12" tapped horn from Danley Sound Labs rocks my home theater. It is veneered in Macassar ebony.

DTS10_58.jpg

Here is what it looks like inside.

DTS10_20.jpg

DTS10_30.jpg

I love that room. Huge sound I'm sure. Friday night I'm going to visit a Head-Fi friend who has a ML setup. It sounds great. his sub pales next to yours. This is the first time for me seeing the internals. Sweet.

Snowman_ said:
Did the kit come with the drivers?
The kit came with everything except screws and glue. I bought some stainless decking screws and some polyurethane adhesive. It is all cut from baltic birch. I added the veneer.

Wards, I always meant to ask you about the seating in that room (and I'm almost afraid to read your answer). Is there only that sole chair in the sweet spot? Or are there others not captured in the picture?

Zing said:
Wards, I always meant to ask you about the seating in that room (and I'm almost afraid to read your answer). Is there only that sole chair in the sweet spot? Or are there others not captured in the picture?

The chair center config is when I'm listening or watching alone. When others are there, the chair moves to the right and there is a full couch that slides forward. I took the picture standing in front of the couch.

There's a guy over at Audioholics (Warpdrive) who made his own dual 18" subwoofers (he has three he made so a total of six 18 drivers. Here's the subwoofer I dream of. :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_0250.jpg

SDC10344.jpg

SDC10346.jpg

The power to drive those 6 18" drivers.

SDC10349.jpg

and a pic of his wife (who helped him build these for perspective as to how large these subs are.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

I thought I was bad about subs, look at how close he sits to two of his three in the room monster subs. Holy Shit!!!!!

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

The inside with four king size pillows in each sub.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

No, what am I missing, those subs look killer to me and the guy who built them is right now at this moment calibrating with RTA.

MatthewB said:
No, what am I missing, those subs look killer to me and the guy who built them is right now at this moment calibrating with RTA.
Looks, yeah. But what about the way it sits on wood floor? Does he discuss bass traps?

You saw the picture with the girl in it correct, something tells me that the WAF is strong so bass traps may be an issue. That and his room is very bicely decorated, so i assume that some restrictions apply.

Wardsweb said:
Not for everyone, but this huge dual 12" tapped horn from Danley Sound Labs rocks my home theater. It is veneered in Macassar ebony.

DTS10_58.jpg

Now for the important question: Is that Tigerwood flooring?

John

Welcome, John! Finally decided to post, huh? :D

Between work, no Internet service at home, and the divorce (yes it's still going on) I don't have much web time at all.

I asked about the flooring because I put Tigerwood down when in my house and HT and love it.

John

yromj said:
Between work, no Internet service at home, and the divorce (yes it's still going on) I don't have much web time at all.

I asked about the flooring because I put Tigerwood down when in my house and HT and love it.

John

Sorry to hear about that!
Rob

Wards, your screen is a good bit smaller than your sub lol!

Maybe you could squeeze a pull down in between those electrostatics?

For night time movie watching?

Nice gear though! Real nice.

Back