• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sunflower Bean: 1980s College Rock revival band

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
This band reminds me of all the great post punk bands in the 1980s which owned college radio and spawned the beginning of Alternative Rock (something which went to hell when Grunge took it over).

I wish I had discovered them two years ago! Just purchased their first CD and pre-ordered their new one.

There is hope for people who want new bands to sound like the stuff they loved in the 1980s. This music is not inventive or innovating, but it is really good old-school post-punk college rock, such as the Breeders, Aztec Camera, early R.E.M., the Shoes, and so on.

This band reminds me of all the great post punk bands in the 1980s which owned college radio and spawned the beginning of Alternative Rock (something which went to hell when Grunge took it over).

I wish I had discovered them two years ago! Just purchased their first CD and pre-ordered their new one.

I received Sunflower Bean's first album today and love it! Listening to it I finally assembled the list of who they resemble: SugarCubes, The Sundays, The Smiths, Frente, and so many other great bands from back in the day. Yes, this is really fun and energizing music. No, it isn't breaking any new ground. Rock is dead.

Holy crap! We appear to be in a complete resurrection of the 1980s pre-shoe-gazing era light rock music that filled the college radio stations at the time. I stumbled on the new band, Japanese Breakfast, while looking for concerts to attend in Austin. I was intrigued, but then realized this is so damn close to The Sugar Cubes and similar bands from my days in that scene. Insane!!! I both love to be hearing music resembling what I grew up loving, but I am sad this is such a throwback movement with almost zero real innovation.

Back