• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SVS Expands Full-Range Speaker Lineup

There is a link to a review with a Q/A with SVS on the design. They directly address the midrange array and point out that a D'Apolito array would not have been appropriate for the design. So, since they are not using a well known "branded" array technique and instead something else, what should they call it? I don't know.

Just the same, I won't pass judgement until I hear them. They are using quality ingredients and have a history of great performing speakers for the money.

To all those looking at the looks:

For music listening condition, it's ideal to have dim lighting. So, I believe the look is unimportant because it's not seen much (even less in HT because it'll be dark).

Something like these.

DSC_00170017.jpg

http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/Trekk ... 6.jpg.html

DIYer said:
To all those looking at the looks:

For music listening condition, it's ideal to have dim lighting. So, I believe the look is unimportant because it's not seen much (even less in HT because it'll be dark).

Something like these.

DSC_00170017.jpg

http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/Trekk ... 6.jpg.html
As if I were the first one to bring up the looks of a speaker in this thread :think: ...but I'm not gonna pretend its not important to me in a purchasing decision.

I'm not talking about the name of it but instead about what it's doing. Klipsch has used the term "tapered array" for years, but in their center channel speakers to address off-axis lobing (as we have discussed hundreds of times). The axis in that case is in the horizontal (left & right of center). Again, we have discussed the merits of the need to address lobing along that axis to death.

The spec I quoted is addressing off-axis lobing in the vertical plane. That isn't usually discussed because it's seen as a non-issue (we've said so many times when people ask about turning their MTM speakers on their ends). Thus my term "quasi-tech". Does the issue have merit? Yes, but not nearly as much in this case as when it's generally discussed (such as w/ MTM center channels).

Still, I agree about passing judgement until I hear them. I'm just offering examples of why my enthusiasm about SVS has waned.

John

Well I was the first one to bring up looks in this thread, and I still stand by my statement. First impressions, I'm not wowed with the way they look. SVS had promised for awhile now, a high end speaker, and these may sound great, but it almost looks like they are trying to hard. The M series of SVS speakers are not gorgeous by any means, but they do look nice. SVS just doesn't seem to be the same company they once were.

I'd be careful about minimalizing the importance to many buyers regarding what a speaker looks like. I'd argue to some, its JUST as important as the way it sounds. If its not, why do speakers companies put any effort at all into differentiating their products visually? There are several members here that have spent $7-10k on a pair of speakers. For that kind of $ isnt it the buyers prerogative to appreciate the way they look in their respective environments. On the flip side, if they're buying solely on looks, then shame on them. I'd also say its a mistake to presume to know what direction SVS is heading as a company based on the looks of the Ultra line. If you're "in the know" and can speak to the technicalities of what goes into quality speaker manufacturing and guide another through the tech-talk and snake-oil tactics, that's fine. But it's a big leap to LOOK at a speaker and say that that company is headed in the wrong direction... :twocents-mytwocents:

Tom V. left SVS for a reason(s). I think some of those reasons have become more obvious over the past 3 years. No, I'm not referring to product aesthetics.

Rope

That review and others have been up for a while. I didn't post it (them) because I'm sure the of what the response would have been. Let's see if I was right...

Towen7 said:
That review and others have been up for a while. I didn't post it (them) because I'm sure the of what the response would have been. Let's see if I was right...
Would this have anything to do with the fact that SVS buys advertising with S+V? :eusa-whistle:

I've had direct experience dealing with both the advertising and editorial sides of trade publications in at least three major industrial sectors (aerospace, automotive, energy) over my career, and with but the exception of "vanity" publications (where stories are produced not by a publication's editorial staff, but by those looking to plant their good-news stories - and get to do so by buying advertising) there is a big separation between the two sides of the house.

The two sides come together at the publisher. He walks a fine line. I've known many. I've never met one who crossed the line. Not saying it does not happen; just that if it does it will not be public / blatant / noticeable by the likes of the reader.

S&V is not a vanity publication. It has its own editorial staff. I don't believe that the ad side influences them. What does concern me, however, is the following. For most trade editors / writers they require the cooperation of those they are writing about. That's the nature of trade publications / the beast. If they are to write about gear in time for it to be of benefit to their readers, they need the manufacturers to provide it as soon as it hits the market - if not sooner! I would be concerned not that a given publication is pressuring its writers (because of ad needs) but rather that writers are themselves are somewhat beholden to the manufacturers.

The only way around this is to require that only products obtained through "retail" get reviewed. It's possible, but as I said not practical due to long lead times etc.

That's my mild concern - rooted in pragmatism.

By the by, at least most reviewable gear in A/V is "accessible" to most writers (in terms of price) if a publication choose to go that route. Well, at least your everyday gear like mid-level players and speakers and receivers. But my guess is that even buying one set of $3k speakers would make or break the balance sheet for must pubs on any given issue. I doubt that they operate with much margin at all - if not in the red most of the time - at least of late.

However contrast that with aerospace. If not for Airbus and Boeing providing access to their aircraft, do you think that we'd ever read about an A380 or B787 test flight performed by Av Wk or Flight International? Those two companies place $$$M of ads in those publications. But you know what? If the reviewing pilot finds fault with a given aircraft - he WILL write about it. Again, the story happens because of a mutual need (not connected by ad dollars.) Once that's been facilitated, the story rolls out as it should.

Could talk about this topic for hours since it occupied a lot of my time before I retired.

Jeff

Money talks, (adverti$er) bullshit walks, (publication/reviewer) and water (misguided consumer) seeks its level.

Rope

^ I think I will put Rope's post in my signature. :bow-blue:

Unless he's got it from someplace else... :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that SVS' next product launch will be a sound bar. The reason I say that is because I received an online survey from them yesterday and it was filled with questions about sound bars and my potential interest in them if SVS offered one. I was actually kind of surprised they would go down this road. I was expecting more of a oneupmanship type of thing from them now that TomV is around and likely taking business away from them. Still, I would not be surprised if they're at work on a new PB16Ultra/2 or a "Quadrax".

Didn't they have a line of inwalls and a soundbar on their "future products" page before the transition?

Back