• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SVS Expands Full-Range Speaker Lineup

I received the same survey and my final questions was "would you buy a media player from SVS".

There were many questions about soundbars and media players in the survey.

They should stick to Subs and Speakers...............but who knows what their high level strategy is?

Towen7 said:
Didn't they have a line of inwalls and a soundbar on their "future products" page before the transition?
They did but I don't know if those ever came to market. They either didn't sell well and were discontinued or they never came out of the concept phase.

The latter I think.

There is a definate market for soundbars. Outlaw makes a decent one too.

Sub isolators are good things. I have often recommended the Auralex platfoam products for subs and other speakers. The 15x15 Auralex Subdude costs $50. I don't see how the SVS big rubber feet are bad things.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but aren't SubDudes, GRAMMAS and the like only ideal for less-than-sufficiently built subwoofers placed on a hard surface floors?

If you've got a well-built sub (read: inert) and it sits on top of carpet (which in all likelihood sits on padding) how much more decoupling does one need?

And in case that's not enough, FIFTY DOLLARS for FOUR RUBBER FEET?!?!?! What's SVS gonna announce next...extra thick upgraded power cords for $500?

I wouldn't call it decoupling when a 100lbs sub if focusing all the weight into four tiny feet and compressing all of the air out of the carpet and foam underneath. It may be better than spikes (the worst thing ever for speakers), but factor hard rubber or plastic feet are not as good as some sort of material which can actually give and take a little bit.

Of course, this gets to the conversation I was having in the "Empirical Observation" thread. Improving a system from 97% close to perfection to 97.5% close to perfection isn't a big deal. A good isolation may only be 1% better than not having it and thus unnecessary in the big picture. But isolation is good.

I don't disagree that isolation/decoupling is a good thing when it comes to speakers and subs. However, when a speaker/sub company which has fallen from its former grace starts spewing its all-too-frequent hyperbole about a one-dollar hardware store item and sells 4 of those items for $50 (or 6 for $70), well, I find that bordering a little too close to snake oil for my tastes.

So no one misunderstands me, I don't begrudge SVS anything. If they're not selling enough speakers and subs, they have to sell something to make money. If these IsoNodes don't work out for them, maybe they can beat Monster Cable to the punch and start selling blister packs of bandwidth.

I think your opinions about the company are clouding your judgement of the product. Those look to be very interesting and simple isolation feet which are specially designed for heavy loads, ease of installation, and probably provide the exact isolation needed for a subwoofer. You cannot buy those, or anything like them, at hardware stores. Given the cost of developing, manufacturing, shipping, warehousing, marketing, inventory, delivery, support, and replacement costs, I believe they are priced just about right. I've paid more the small sorbothane feet designed to be placed under turntables.

I think those are very interesting products and a good alternative to the subdude or other effective and easy to use large speaker isolation products.

Flint said:
I think your opinions about the company are clouding your judgement of the product.
I won't disagree with this either. For the last 5-6 years, SVS can do no right, in my opinion. And my opinion of them began to decline when their GM told me that (after mentioning I own a PB12-NSD/2) "You have one of the last of the good subs". Since then, they've done little else but use cheaper and cheaper components in existing products and increase their product descriptions with more and more world class, astonishing, groundbreaking, breathtaking, ultra premium adjectives and hyperbolic bullshit.

So forgive me if I'm more than a little cynical of fifty-dollar globs of "durometer elastomer" that will give me "cleaner and tighter sounding bass".

And this is why I don't want to start a speaker company. People won't pay for quality in the long haul. Someone starts a new company doing it right, they do well for a few years, then the ledger doesn't show the right trends cuz the diehard fans don't keep buying and once you sell to the one fanboi cult group the sales fade.

Few speaker companies can succeed without being incredible businesses first. The Klipsch name is on a ton of crapwhich enables them to make some good stuff. Paradigm has to enter new product class markets. And the rest get swallowed by big corporations.

I could never do it.

Flint said:
I wouldn't call it decoupling when a 100lbs sub if focusing all the weight into four tiny feet and compressing all of the air out of the carpet and foam underneath. It may be better than spikes (the worst thing ever for speakers), but factor hard rubber or plastic feet are not as good as some sort of material which can actually give and take a little bit.

Of course, this gets to the conversation I was having in the "Empirical Observation" thread. Improving a system from 97% close to perfection to 97.5% close to perfection isn't a big deal. A good isolation may only be 1% better than not having it and thus unnecessary in the big picture. But isolation is good.
With respect to the underlined passage above, I suspect that you've erred on the low side. My personal experience is that it can make a very noticeable difference.

I think though, that we need to also look at the notion of "better."

I've been in and listened to quite a few members' home theatres. I have been impressed by all of them. (We members do tend to put a lot more into our systems than the "average" person - so I would expect no less!)

However there have been significant differences in sound - and in bass performance in particular. I'm not going to mention names, but the biggest noticeable difference, to me, has been the amount of, or lack of, bass transferred to the seating position through the rooms' structure - rather than through sound alone.

The effect ranges from "buttkickers completely off" to "buttkickers at maximum Captain!"

NB: This in no way implies better or worse. These systems are doing what the members want of them.

However I have also noticed a very significant correlation in the degree of this effect depending on the room and how the sub(s) are coupled (or not) to the floor.

I'll mention my room: all subs on solid concrete slab. Buttkicker effect completely off.

Whether it's the SVS product, or something else, I have no doubt that there will be a very noticeable difference in many cases. It may not be better - and in fact the owners may be disappointed with the result (in that the buttkicking gets turned off - or at least turned down.) But there will be a difference.

However in cases where that structural transmission of energy is exciting undesired vibrations in other items in the room / house (which I don't recall happening in any of the HTs that I visited) then this would probably be considered "better."

Assuming that this new SVS product works as described, I, like Flint, feel that $50 is not an unreasonable asking price - especially for those who really want and need the isolation promised by SVS.

Jeff

ps. And this might very well be the easiest SVS product ever to try first and return later if not completely satisfied!

JeffMackwood said:
Assuming that this new SVS product works as described, I, like Flint, feel that $50 is not an unreasonable asking price - especially for those who really want and need the isolation promised by SVS.
If I owned a $99 10" Onkyo subwoofer which sat directly on a hardwood floor and I couldn't (or wouldn't) pay $1000 for a new PSA sub as an upgrade, I may spend a risk-free $50 on some shock-absorbing rubber feet. However, I maintain, if you own a well built sub (and that includes SVS box subs [particularly their Plus and Ultra models]), you won't get any benefit from these new feet.

People won't pay for quality in the long haul. Someone starts a new company doing it right, they do well for a few years, then the ledger doesn't show the right trends cuz the diehard fans don't keep buying and once you sell to the one fanboi cult group the sales fade.

An interesting point. If you get a perfect (for your tastes) set of speakers, well, generally they don't wear out. I bought my beloved "New Advents" in 1979, and the only reason I replaced them about four years ago (about the time I joined you degenerates ;) ) was because they were no longer in business, and I needed a center and surround-channel speakers (didn't feel I'd need a subwoofer, those Advents went deep).
I paid for quality, but generally didn't have to go "long haul" as they would've lasted for life. Maybe this is what sinks quality manufacturers; they saturate the market and no one needs them anymore.
Twenty years ago we (they) had the tech to build incandescent light bulbs that burned virtually forever; they were never marketed as they would again saturate the market and then choke it off (ever wonder why your car's headlights can bounce over potholes for ten years before needing replacement, yet the standard bulb in your trouble-light will burn out if it gets tapped by a rubber hose? There ya go). Modern washing machines, autos, and food processors are precision-engineered to last 3 years and 2 months, just to cover the 3-year warrantee and then sell more product.
:doh:

Zing said:
Orbison said:
Zing said:
Since then, they've done little else but use cheaper and cheaper components in existing products

What is your source of this info?
The SVS website.

SVS has publicly stated that it's using cheaper components? That's not a marketing strategy I've heard of before.............

^Their website used to boast about where the product was assembled. Try to find that info now...

Back