• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Alien HT

Alien

I'll have to back-track to a couple of years ago to show where I started the build from scratch but for now here is my current rendition.
The room is in my basement. This is actually what I was keeping myself busy with the most while Sofi was in the hospital almost 200 miles away and I'd come home to have to go to work for a week...and couldn't sleep much. I felt the need to complete it because she was supposed to come home to wait but was too sick. Some would say it's an amenity but using it when finished was and has been therapeutic.

The toughest part was the ceiling...I couldn't afford a true suspended tile ceiling so I had to make it up. I made the acoustic treatments about a year after the room was complete. I call them a "working prototype." They're not fiberglass.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 780
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 780
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 780
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 780
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 780
Wow, that looks great! I'm sure working on that helped to keep your mind at ease while the little one was in the hospital.

Very cool! Looks like a great use of the space. Did the room exist already, or did you frame it in from a larger space? Just wondering 'cause it seems like an unusual long, narrow room for a "regular" room. Did you do all the finishing (painting, flooring, etc.) yourself as well?

Yup, I agree. Very nice indeed. Looks like a great place to unwind and listen to some tunes.

Did the treatments make a big difference?

Nice Job!!!

You guys with basements. I grew up with one and have not had one in over 12 yrs.

I bet it sound as good as it looks!

Yes. I framed it in, insulated, dry-walled, finished and painted, electrical, ceiling, floor...I did all of it from end to end.

It is narrower than I'd like it to be, but the shot with the wide angle lens makes it look more narrow still. It's 13.75 wide by 23.5 long.

heeman said:
Nice Job!!!

You guys with basements. I grew up with one and have not had one in over 12 yrs.

I bet it sound as good as it looks!

Thanks Heeman...actually it performs way better than it looks. Thankfully! My aim was function over form.

The room treatments made a huge difference. I did make an effort in building dimensions too to help prevent standing waves...I used an Eigenmode calculator.

Alien said:
Yes. I framed it in, insulated, dry-walled, finished and painted, electrical, ceiling, floor...I did all of it from end to end.

It is narrower than I'd like it to be, but the shot with the wide angle lens makes it look more narrow still. It's 13.75 wide by 23.5 long.

My basement has a zig-zag shape to it, so the "area" my HT's in is roughly 10 x 20. It sucks if I have a lot of people over, but since that's a rare occasion, I'm happy with it.

Please give us a complete detailed equipment list........

It is great to be able to do all that work and then sit back and enjoy.

Self gratification.........

Up front is version 2 of paradigm studio 100's, CC450 center, V1 servo-15 sub with x-30 controller. Paradigm ADP370B surrounds. Sony BDP-S300 using the analog outs to the multichannel in on a Sony STR-DE3000ES. My TV is a 44" LG DLP running 1080i through a Beldin DVI. I have the service remote and service manual for it that without I would have sprung for a new TV by now...it's quite capable when calibrated right.
My acoustic panels are of my own idea...they are Roxul AFB that I built frames for from leftover scraps.

I am not sure of the amplifier capabilities of the Sony Receiver, however I bet a great high current power amp would really improve the overall sound of those Studio 100's!

It's 155wpc, very efficient. Then I also don't push anything below 140Hz through it. But I've still had the idea of a separate 2ch amp, monoblocks, or bi-amping rattling around for a long time.

heeman said:
I am not sure of the amplifier capabilities of the Sony Receiver, however I bet a great high current power amp would really improve the overall sound of those Studio 100's!

"High Current" power amps are a bit of a marketing red herring. If an amplifier is able to supply the voltage necessary to cause its rated wattage to be dissipated in a load of a certain minimum impedance across the audio band, then it will have enough current to do the job. This obviously means knowing the exact impedance curve of the speaker system. Any current capability beyond this is just not used, and is wasted. Marketing departments like to tout terms like "high current", while knowing 99.99% of consumers don't have the foggiest idea of what that means, or if they really "need" it.

BTW: Nice HT!

Here we go again!

Maybe an amplifier with a better dynamic range, if your receiver does not have sufficient dynamic range to drive the Studio 100's under extreme loading conditions.

heeman said:
Here we go again!

Maybe an amplifier with a better dynamic range, if your receiver does not have sufficient dynamic range to drive the Studio 100's under extreme loading conditions.

Just hoping that when terms like that get thrown around on the forum, people are aware of what it means (and what it doesn't mean).

soundhound said:
heeman said:
Here we go again!

Just hoping that when terms like that get thrown around on the forum, people are aware of what it means (and what it doesn't mean).

:text-bravo:

Alien,
Nice room dude. Very nive. Now hide those wires...

This coming from the guy whose wires on the front side are all completely visible and I have done nothing to try and hide them. The surround wires are all done nice and neat, but the front sidie of my system looks like poo.

Ha my front ones are even worse.
When I put the walls up I thought I could put the cables inside...but then what to do if they needed to be replaced.

I don't know how to hide them really.

GREAT looking room.. and I know it sounds good too!

I had v.2 Studio 80's, your same center, ADP450 surrounds, and the Servo-15 with x-30 cross-over.. great sounding system...

I miss my Servo-15 and cross over unit ... I should have never sold it.

Back