• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Avengers - spoiler free review

Towen7

Staff member
4154b187.jpg

I've been trying very hard to stay away from all of the hype; no reviews, blogs, fan sites. I made sure to watch each trailer only once. I wouldn't even talk with my friends about it. I wanted to go into it with as few expectations as possible.

Spoiler free review to follow...

My boss decided to take a day off today so that let me sneak out a little early and catch The Avengers in 3D. I was shocked (but very happy) that the theater was practically empty at 2:00 on a Friday. That was NOT the case when I left.

The story, the character interaction, the fact that the director stayed true to characters.... It was just fun. Everyone I've talked to has asked me to compare it to The Dark Knight series do far. Much like the other recent Marvel movies, it's just an entirely different experience. So much so that the two series don't really compare at all. The Avengers is fun. TDK is ... well ... dark. I can only recall laughing out loud three times, maybe, while watching both TDK movies. The Avengers has several LOL moments without being campy. And its not just Stark cracking one-liners.

The action is incredibly fast paced and just amazing yet somehow the cinematography helps achieve what Stan Lee refers to as suspension of disbelief. I have no idea what the special effects budget was but it was worth every penny.  There werent many people in the theater but there were several points in the movie that you could hear collective gasps, ohs and ahs, and applause.

THIS is why I love movies. I can't recall the last time I saw a movie more than once at the theater but I'll surely watch this many more time before it arrives on disc.

Re: The Avengers

Thanks for the "first" review.

I can't wait to see it, I'll be hitting a matinee next week. Was the 3D worth it? I am not a 3D fan but if it was done well I might go that route.

Going at noon today with the wife and kids. IMAX 3d also, I'm getting more excited with every passing minute...I'll post my thoughts when I get home.

Thanks for the non-spoiler review Towen, I am going to see this first in IMAX 3D. Just for it's superior sound, I wish they made aftermarket glasses like they do for RealD 3D. Sometimes I pick up reflections from the projector with those cheap, flat give away ones at the theatre.

This movie got a 93% review by critics, and 96% by the audience at Rotten Tomatoes, I would say that's pretty damn good. Having so many superhero's in one movie I was nervous they would not get it right, looks like I worried for nothing.

mzpro5 said:
IWas the 3D worth it? I am not a 3D fan but if it was done well I might go that route.

The movie wasn't shot it 3D but i certainly couldn't tell. Joss Whedon said in interviews that he didnt plan for 3D but since its an action flick that there were naturally things coming to and away from the screen all the time. As with every other 3D movie I've seen it depends on whats going on in the scene and how the shot is composed. Some of the scenes are spectacular (the opening scene here) and really make you forget that your experiencing an effect. That said I am a fan of 3D. I don't think there is anything here that will change people's opinions. Those of us that like 3D will dig it, and haters are going to hate it.

TitaniumTroy said:
Having so many superhero's in one movie I was nervous they would not get it right, looks like I worried for nothing.

It's a valid concern but Joss Whedon did a masterful job. All of the characters get about the same level of attention as in the comics. I never get the feeling that anyone was getting too much or too little screen time. I was worried that Black Widow and Hawkeye would just be tacked. By this point everyone should know Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk, and Thor. Here we get to know the story behind the the Black Widow and Hawkeye without them dominating the movie at all.

The only material of Joss Whedon's that I've seen is Serenity. Not familiar with all his tv shows at least in regards to content. But he just seems to be another one of those creative guys that knows what his fans want and is capable of delivering in a way that pleases fans and critics alike...I couldn't be happier that this flick seems to be well on its way to being a major success which is great for the entire genre. As more of a DC guy I wish they could get their shyt together and roll out exciting well made films in the way Marvel has been able to (for the most part coughSM3cough). Just seems for every SM3, there's 2-3 Green Lanterns on the DC side...oh well at least I can be proud of the Batman franchise, and hope that on Nolan's watch as producer, Man of Steel is on the right track.

About the only thing I would like that I don't see in the Avengers is having Wasp and Antman in the group.

But I'm just being picky too.

I'm SO anxious to see this movie. I'm hoping next Friday the crowds will have died down. Even though I'm more than familiar with the Avengers characters, should I still watch Thor before seeing the movie? Another comic book friend of mine says it's crucial as Thor is a "prequel" to the movie.

If you are familiar at all with the Thor and Loki characters from the comics you'll be able to keep up, no problem. A non comic reader however would need to see all of the prequels; Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.

Towen7 said:
If you are familiar at all with the Thor and Loki characters from the comics you'll be able to keep up, no problem. A non comic reader however would need to see all of the prequels; Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.

Thanks. I'm still going to try to squeeze in Thor before I go, but glad to know I won't be lost when I do go see Avengers.

Gonna see it tomorrow after work with the GF at the Cine Capri (bigger and louder than IMAX) both Razz and Jeff Mackwood know what I'm talking about. I took them both to see Ironman 2 at the Cine Capri. Should be a fun experience the only downside is because I'm dragging the GF to see this, later I have to go to some "chick flick" as retribution.

MatthewB said:
later I have to go to some "chick flick" as retribution.
I would say, see the c. f. first and then Avengers. That way, you will come home with good taste in your mind.

DIYer said:
MatthewB said:
later I have to go to some "chick flick" as retribution.
I would say, see the c. f. first and then Avengers. That way, you will come home with good taste in your mind.

Matt always has a "good" taste in his mouth.

Cept for when -B- is forcing cheap ass scotch down my throat that can be used as wheel lubricant. Jeez I still have nightmares of that slop he forces me to drink me every year. And he never pulls out the bottle when I'm sober, it's always after I'm way to sloshed to argue and then he gets everyone chanting, "GO, GO, GO" so I cave into the peer pressure and guzzle that shit. I swear if hell has a drink on tap, it's whatever Bryan keeps around just to torture me.

Just got home, LOVED it!!! I couldn't help but want more like 40,000,000,000 watts more and 150 story tall screen. This movie deserved that kind of treatment...

I saw it today and it was great. I saw the 2D version (as it should be seen) still can't think of a single reason for 3D to exist other then to make more money for the studios. Great movie either way.

The 3D was very well done and not distracting in the least. I really enjoy the added depth it gives the picture when it is done correctly.

There was nothing wrong with the 3D in this film. In fact while talking on the phone with T7 discussing the film as a whole, he asked what I thought of the 3D and frankly, I had forgotten that it was converted at all. It wasn't the least bit distracting and only added to the depth of the image as Haywood stated.

As it will be Wed or Thu before I will have a chance to see it, and it is kinda boring around here, I have decided to rewatch all the Avenger related movies before then.

Starting with the Ed Norton Hulk (which I really like) then IM 1&2, Cap, and Thor.

Back