• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Big House System - Pics

Apologies... I've lost track of what you're putting where. :laughing: Is the LR going to be a secondary system in the long run? If so, guess it's no problem that the SVS speakers don't work in there. You're planning to put a primary system in the basement?

PaulyT said:
Apologies... I've lost track of what you're putting where. :laughing: Is the LR going to be a secondary system in the long run? If so, guess it's no problem that the SVS speakers don't work in there. You're planning to put a primary system in the basement?
No surprise you are confused Pauly I have kinda lost track myself :happy-smileygiantred:

Yes the LR is secondary and the basement will be the primary. If I had hooked up the Outlaw 2200 amp and the new Onkyo 5508 pre/pro I am sure the result would have been much better. But space for those two monsters would have been tight in the LR. Moving the speakers around was much easier.

The sound with the SVS trio was as my brother described "dull" my word was a bit "muffled". No amount of tweaking could get the sound from the SVS's I am used to and know they are capable of.

Guess I forgot how important it is to pair components properly thinking better speakers alone would create better sound. :angry-banghead:

Yeah, and it's hard to know from specs alone whether something will work well... seems that 105wpc should be fairly adequate, but maybe for speakers of lower impedance and/or lower sensitivity, it's just not enough when multiple channels are going at once. Guess this is one of those amps where you're paying for the electronic signal processing gadgetry, and they've really skimped on the amp section. Not too surprising in a lower cost receiver.

PaulyT said:
Yeah, and it's hard to know from specs alone whether something will work well... seems that 105wpc should be fairly adequate, but maybe for speakers of lower impedance and/or lower sensitivity, it's just not enough when multiple channels are going at once. Guess this is one of those amps where you're paying for the electronic signal processing gadgetry, and they've really skimped on the amp section. Not too surprising in a lower cost receiver.

Oh yeah. Everything has its place in the HT universe.

The Yamaha receiver does the job I got it for very well (including excellent HDMI link up) and I would highly recommend it for the right situation. And it has so many gimmicky things. After using it for almost two months I just learned about them trying to get better sound out of the SVS. I usually just run it straight with little or none of the many "special" enhancements.

PaulyT said:

Don't get me going..............again............on amplifiers................ :think:

Some bad news today. First I had a tire on the Edge with a slow leak, been there for a couple months. Took it in today and here it is a very small cut just below the edge of the tire towards the sidewall, no way to fix it. Tire has to be replaced, $295.

And found out I am gonna have to put a bit more money into the little house to get up to snuff, big thing is wiring.

The end result is the basement HT project is on hold, at least until late spring early summer if i get the little house sold.

Figure I need 4-5K to do it right. Think I may move the Outlaw amp, Onkyo 5508 and SVS speakers upstairs for the time being

Orbison said:
$295 for 1 tire? :scared-yipes: :(

Any nibbles on potential little house buyers?
Yeah, big 18" tires on it, price covers mounting, tax and all that stuff. Of course it doesn't help that I am only buying one tire.

No nibbles I haven't really put it on the market, will be working on it the next several months to put it on the market by mid- Feb at the latest.

Well that sucks, and not in a good way? Any chance of a warranty on the tire?

Huey said:
I tried but they are citing "road hazard" though the several tire guys that looked at it could not guess what caused it, so I have to pay.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
I tried but they are citing "road hazard" though the several tire guys that looked at it could not guess what caused it, so I have to pay.

I thought road hazards, ie nails, etc, were covered under most warranties? I would think they hardly ever have to pay out on them, so it's bullshit they aren't covering it.

What's up with the wiring in the house?

That sucks, MZ. Hope you get all this stuff worked out, eventually.

PaulyT said:
That sucks, MZ. Hope you get all this stuff worked out, eventually.
Having had time to think it is not a big deal. Waiting and planning for things is why I have been able to go most of my life without carrying any debt, pay off my house and actually have a number of very nice things. So it takes a little more time, I still have a very nice listening space and a very good viewing system in the LR.

Many of you guys have had to stretch things out but eventually got it done. So I am just in the same place, like I said in the grand scheme of things no big deal.

But it still sucks to spend almost $300 for a tire.

Back