• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Big House System - Pics

Lookin good Jeff! I could never do anything like that, as my kids tend to take movies and not put them back, but I like the way yours looks.

Caught my eye that you had a "two-sided" shelf unit sticking out from the wall, like a public library shelf. I may have to go that route eventually, wish I had a bit more floor space to do so, however...

Botch said:
Caught my eye that you had a "two-sided" shelf unit sticking out from the wall, like a public library shelf. I may have to go that route eventually, wish I had a bit more floor space to do so, however...

I actually got that from my local library years ago when they were getting rid of some stuff. Paid $5.00 for it. Apparently they had more but someone scooped them up before I got there.

This is the first time I have had the space to utilize the two sided design. Before it was against a wall.

A few things have been going on financially and time wise that are slowing down the setup of a dedicated HT in the basement. Initially I was just going to use the "higher end" equipment in a relatively simple setup. But as I started to get into it I realized I want to do it right the first time so that involves some changes that will take more time and a bit more money.

When I moved I just put all the better stuff downstairs, just sitting there. Then a month ago I brought up the SVS cylinder sub to use "temporarily" in the LR setup. After realizing how nice it was in the LR I decided I will need to spring for a new sub for the basement. I have been in touch with Tom at Power Sound Audio and plan on getting their XV30. Thought I could swing it in Oct. but health issues with me and Yogi cut into finances and then I find out a somewhat major repair needs to be done in the guest bath room, more cut into the finances. So now it looks like I will have to push things back to after the first of the year.

All that being said I have decided to move the Sammy 58" 1080p display and the SVS towers and center up to the LR for the interim. Friend is coming over later to day to help me move the stuff upstairs and hook it up. It will only be 3.1 but should be an improvement on what is currently there.

I did buy the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver when it was on sale a month ago. I plan on setting that up in the dining room which will happen as soon as my brother comes and gets the dining room table. Two weeks at the most.

So things are not going as quickly/smoothly as planned but eventually it will come together.

Sorry to hear about the health issues with you and Yogi, Jeff. I see my old sub is still going strong, but understand why you want something bigger and better. Hopefully you can make that happen sooner than later.

Huey said:
Sorry to hear about the health issues with you and Yogi, Jeff. I see my old sub is still going strong, but understand why you want something bigger and better. Hopefully you can make that happen sooner than later.
Thanks Rob. Not being part of the GTG crowd I didn't expect anyone to respond, just helps put things in perspective to put it in writing.

Health issues are not severe, just time consuming and emotionally difficult concerning Yogi.

It will eventually come together and then you can drive down and check it out.

Cool! Been waiting for someone to get one of the PSA subs to check it out. Sorry it's been delayed, but it sounds like you'll have a hell of a system once it's all together. Actually, multiple systems...

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
Thanks Rob. Not being part of the GTG crowd I didn't expect anyone to respond, just helps put things in perspective to put it in writing.

Health issues are not severe, just time consuming and emotionally difficult concerning Yogi.

It will eventually come together and then you can drive down and check it out.

You bet! :handgestures-thumbup: Dare I say it? Maybe you should have a gtg when everything is completed? You are kind of a central spot for a bunch of us to drive in less than 4 hours. Just sayin.

Hoping that your and your doggie's health issues are minor and under control.

Seeing a media collection like yours see me jealous.

Towen7 said:
Hoping that your and your doggie's health issues are minor and under control.

Seeing a media collection like yours see me jealous.

Thanks T. My health issues are primarily orthopedic. Yogi on the other hand is on the decline. Disc problems resulting in serious mobility issues. He is getting old, 12-13 yo at least, and all I can do now is make sure he is comfortable and pain free.

Well the CD collection has been a work in progress for 25+ years, an average of about 50 a year though in the early years I was buying well over 100/year. The last few years I probably have only bought about 10-15 a year. Somewhere along the line I realized I was buying a lot of CDs but had hundreds I never listened to. Plus it was getting harder and harder to find music from "new" artists that I liked.

I have only been buying movies in a serious vein for 13 years when I got my first DVD player. Only had about 10 VHS movies before then.

I talked to my brother last night and he will be picking up the dining room set this week. Then I can setup the Outlaw 2 channel receiver, Sony disc changer and the old Technics turntable for a serious music listening area.

Changed things out temporarily in the LR yesterday.

Before with the BIC towers and center and the Sammy 50" 720p

8fa7d4856d7562f88430243511780c7b.jpg

After with the SVS towers and center and Sammy 58" 1080p

642c1c4da787648f27a01e33b3ebbdcb.jpg

Yeah Pauly I know, shitty pics. :happy-smileygiantred:

Yeah but both your TVs are bigger than mine, so you still win. :laughing:

Awesome MZ....

I like the media in the basement....although, I would probably stand there for hours trying to decide what to listen to.

Trust me, I understand having to put off the fun stuff for necessities....as I've been doing that for 3 years. But, don't give up on that basement now that you've moved your stuff upstairs. Take your time and do the basement right.

Huey said:
Jeff, Why do you have the center speaker mounted so high?

I was waiting for someone to ask that.

I am working on a 10" riser to go under the cabinet to raise the TV. After that the center will be much closer to the TV.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

I am working on a 10" riser to go under the cabinet to raise the TV. After that the center will be much closer to the TV.
You ever think of putting the speaker under the tv to get it on a more even plane with the L/R? I bought a $30 stand from Amazon, which angles it up, and really blends well with the other speakers. I have a bridge over my tv, and tried the above placement, but I felt I could localize the speaker too much in that configuration. Either way, looks like it is coming along nice!

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

You ever think of putting the speaker under the tv to get it on a more even plane with the L/R? I bought a $30 stand from Amazon, which angles it up, and really blends well with the other speakers. I have a bridge over my tv, and tried the above placement, but I felt I could localize the speaker too much in that configuration. Either way, looks like it is coming along nice!

The configuration now is the same as I had in the little house for several years and I liked it. The speaker is tilted down and I have those foam thingys underneath (forget the "official" name).

And after calibration everything actually blends well.

jamhead said:
Awesome MZ....

I like the media in the basement....although, I would probably stand there for hours trying to decide what to listen to.

Trust me, I understand having to put off the fun stuff for necessities....as I've been doing that for 3 years. But, don't give up on that basement now that you've moved your stuff upstairs. Take your time and do the basement right.

Funny you mention that I must have spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to decide what I wanted to listen/watch to. :D

After three days and hours of trying to calibrate the SVS speakers, hooked up to the litlle $240 Yamaha V471BL, to get a sound I liked I conceded to what I knew an hour after first listening. That Yamaha just doesn't have the power to drive those SVS speakers properly.

So I put the BIC America speakers back in the LR. The Yamaha is a great little receiver and drives the BIC's very nicely. Just not meant to play with the big boys I guess.

The SVS speakers will have to rest a bit longer.

Back