• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Big House System - Pics

Spent a good part of the afternoon playing with the Yamaha receiver I got for the LR. Ran the ole Radio Shack meter routine. Then played around with sound fields and such. I can plug my iPod via USB and get the song info on the TV and control the IPod with commands from the receiver remote.

One question and I think I may know the answer. My sub is in the corner, but as you see from the picture below I have put a curio cabinet spanning the corner with the sub behind it. The back of the cabinet is 46" from the apex of the corner and actually a fair amount of room back there for the smaller sub.

0fb09a8c.jpg

Am I screwing things up doing that?

mzpro5 said:
I think the wavelengths of subwoofer frequencies are long enough that the curio cabinet will hinder little to nothing.

Now, that coffee table in front of the left speaker on the other hand... :eusa-whistle:

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:
I think the wavelengths of subwoofer frequencies are long enough that the curio cabinet will hinder little to nothing.

Now, that coffee table in front of the left speaker on the other hand... :eusa-whistle:
That coffe table has been moved around more than any our piece of furniture. Right know it is in front of the love seat.

Also I have the sub (down firing) sitting on a piece of press board, the carpet has a decent pile, figured it was absorbing much of what was coming out of the sub.

I wouldn't have thought that the carpet would have any appreciable effect on the sub. Do you hear a significant difference?

mzpro5 said:
Also I have the sub (down firing) sitting on a piece of press board, the carpet has a decent pile, figured it was absorbing much of what was coming out of the sub.
Again, bass frequency wavelengths are so long, carpet will absorb almost nothing coming from the sub. That said, you're not hurting anything at all by having that wood under there.

You know, since you seem to be taking your audio more seriously now, you may want to consider getting into TrueRTA. That will show you precisely what's going on in your room with the slightest changes in placement of speakers and listening position. You'll then be able to "see" what sounds good and what doesn't. And it will also identify any problems and trouble spots so you'll know what you need to do to fix them, should you be so inclined.

Towen7 said:
I wouldn't have thought that the carpet would have any appreciable effect on the sub. Do you hear a significant difference?
I do hear a difference. I figured my SVS cylinder has a solid base with the woofer being several inches above it, so thought i would do something similar.

Hard for me to describe but it is "sharper" if that makes any sense.

Starting on the basement this week. Here are a few pics of the basement with sh*it everywhere:

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

TV and equipment will go where that electric fireplace/heater. Red sectional will be facing the TV.

Have you considered a projector? You have a basement, some kickass speakers, and a comfy looking set of HT seating. A pj would be icing on the cake.

Towen7 said:
Have you considered a projector? You have a basement, some kickass speakers, and a comfy looking set of HT seating. A pj would be icing on the cake.

That has been in the plan since the beginning. Will be spending some money to get the little house in order so currently saving for a pj and screen. Figure 6-9 months and I will be set to go the next step.

So mz, what is your "theme" for the HT ? Nice looking basement by the way.

Huey said:
You going to do anything with the bar in the corner?

Yeah- using it. :happy-smileygiantred:

It is a dry bar with a mini fridge. I am not overly crazy about the bar stools but Mom got them from someone down the streat at a garage sale for a steal. Right after the basement was finished we got the red sectional, the electric fireplace/heater (Mom has a thing for fireplaces) and the bar. We talked about getting some type of pool or gaming table but never got around to it.

The basement is huge, I set up a video gaming area with a 24" plasma that I forgot to show in the pics.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
You going to do anything with the bar in the corner?

Yeah- using it. :happy-smileygiantred:

It is a dry bar with a mini fridge. I am not overly crazy about the bar stools but Mom got them from someone down the streat at a garage sale for a steal. Right after the basement was finished we got the red sectional, the electric fireplace/heater (Mom has a thing for fireplaces) and the bar. We talked about getting some type of pool or gaming table but never got around to it.

The basement is huge, I set up a video gaming area with a 24" plasma that I forgot to show in the pics.

Well then, next time I expect pics with a fully stocked bar! The basement looks really big, would love to be able to do something like that with our house, but the layout sucks. I think a Night Rider pinball machine would look good in your game room, although you would probably have weekly visits from Matt B. :eusa-whistle:

Things are going a bit slower than I wanted getting the basement set up but I finally got the media corner done.

4c5e38af82847c14597acfc83f725c25.jpg

That shorter dark brown case actually has CDs on both sides( as you can see in the pic below) thus its position protruding out into the room.

69f0c41d22794329bf54674ddae56217.jpg

The movie case

af3797d8254f9eeaaefdf9e313128c4b.jpg

ac0358f508cdfbdb79542d7c51ee1ba3.jpg

BUMP

Geez guys 30 people have viewed this thread since I posted the latest pics and no one has anything to say? Not even a smart ass comment?

Guess I don't have the cred around here others seem to have.

Well maybe if you got a better camera that doesn't take blurry pics we'd comment more. :laughing:

I can only say that I wish my collection were that neatly stored away. I'm already overflowing the two new 500CD shelves I got maybe a year or so ago, with piles of CDs all over the place... sigh.

PaulyT said:
Well maybe if you got a better camera that doesn't take blurry pics we'd comment more. :laughing:

I can only say that I wish my collection were that neatly stored away. I'm already overflowing the two new 500CD shelves I got maybe a year or so ago, with piles of CDs all over the place... sigh.

It is a phone cam but in the end don't blame the camera blame the photographer. Us old guys got the palsy hands, just wait you'll be there some day. :happy-smileygiantred:

This is the first time I have had the spaciousness to get so organized. The storage situation at the little house might have qualified me to be on that Hoarders show.

Back