• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ghetto Stands

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I thought I would go ahead and try to get some of my DIY threads over here. Here's my DIY speaker stands. The thread was from Jan 2008, but nothing has really changed since then.

I finished my "Ghetto Stands". Here's a recap from my earlier thread on DIY stands:

I present to you.....the "Ghetto Stands"

Here's the parts I used.

Mackies010.jpg

2- 4" diameter 24" length PVC pipe
4- 4" PVC closet flanges
2 pieces of 3/4" MDF, 24"x48". I did not even have to use these since I
had enough scrap laying around to build the top/bottom plates.

Here's the top plates finished with the flanges bolted to them.

Mackies012.jpg

A pick of the completed stand.

Mackies014.jpg

I was thinking about doubling up on the bottom plate, but when I went to
cut the second pieces my circular saw got a little squirrely on me. As
I mentioned before, I loaned it to a friend of mine so no telling what
he was cutting with it. I need a new blade anyways, so no big deal.

A pic with the Mackie on top.

Mackies015.jpg

Believe it or not, this stand is sturdier than it looks. The pipe is very
tight on the flanges. I had to use a mallet to separate them when I
took them back apart. Just to be safe, I'm going to run some screws
through the top and bottom part of the stand so they are screwed to the
flanges. I need to cut a couple of inches off the pipe since I didn't
figure in the thickness of the MDF. This will have the tweeter at
around 36" high. I have some black textured paint for the color which I
hope will make them look better (pretty freaking ugly ain't they?). I
plan on filling the pipe with sand too as I imagine PVC resonates
pretty badly, especially at that thick of diameter (maybe I should have
gotten the 3" diameter?).

Here's a pic of the "now in use stands" haha.

Mackies021.jpg

After seeing them this way, I was reminded of Dent's stand for his Vifas. His
look like towers and, like him, I like the look of towers so I might
try to do something similiar in the future.

Total cost for these stands (minus the paint) was $29.50.

Here's a few pics of the finished stands:

Mackies025.jpg

Mackies024.jpg

Mackies023.jpg

They actually turned out better looking than I would have figured. The textured paint looks pretty good on them. I could probably make them look better by thicken up the bottom bases and doing a little sanding and adding a couple more coats of paint. These are just get me bys, so I mainly wanted to get them done so I could enjoy the speakers. The stands are about 24" high.

One thing that I think I would change would be the PVC. It is very sturdy, but it doesn't seem to hold paint too well. You can scrape it off with your fingernail. The paint I used was supposed to be good for plastic and PVC, but I also didn't use a primer so it could be that. I think next time I might look into using some Sonotubes instead.

Now all I need to do is get stands for the surrounds. I will have them to were the woofer just clears the back side of the couch. Here's a pic of one of the surrounds on my Klipsch tower.

[photo missing for some reason, sorry]

Surround detail is much better since the couch is not blocking the sound. This was a problem I have had to deal with using towers as surrounds. At the time I bought them, I did not have this couch and was in a different house so it worked then. At one time I thought about buying a set of KG4.5 (they use a single 10 compared to the 5.5's dual 10s) and building a bookshelf version of the cabinets as I did my center speaker (that never got finished). Either that or just staying with pairs of the 2.5 bookshelfs. I liked the 4.5 idea because they had the same horns as my towers.

The next post covers the stands I made for my surround speakers. I have since gave them to a friend of mine for his setup and wall mounted my Mackies.

I got the surround stands done and finally got some pics up.

Mackies037.jpg

Just like before, a mock build up to get an idea on how they will look.

Mackies038.jpg

Painted and ready to roll. This time I took the time to rough up the PVC a little and put some primer on them followed by a couple of coats of textured paint. Noticed the fingerprints. I was able to wipe them off without any paint coming off the stands (unlike my front pair).

Mackies041.jpg

Here's what they look like with the surround speakers on them. I only made two of them as I don't know if I want to use wall mounts for the back surrounds or do two more stands.

Mackies042.jpg

The left surround.

Mackies043.jpg

The right surround.

Mackies044.jpg

A side shot to give you an idea how far back they are. The other two pics gave the illusion they were right on the couch.

I haven't had the chance to fire them up for a movie yet, but did when I had them sitting on my towers. I might play around with the top plate and see about tilting the speaker down more toward the seats, but I want to make them more rigid and do it where the speaker doesn't slide off or make the stand foward heavy. What I like most is the drivers are not firing right into the back of the couch as I had with my towers.

For the back surrounds, I'm either going to make a shelf that I can screw into the studs to support the two back surrounds, make another set of stands, or go the wall mount route like IG's and Yromj's setup. Stands will be the cheapest and give me the best placement flexibility, but wall mounts will give me a bit of a cleaner look and give me room for a CD rack (which I'm still thinking about getting).

Hope you guys like it. The thread is 2.5 years old now. Not much has changed. If anything, my HT room has pretty much turned into a junk room.

Something else I need to get going.............(sigh)

Yesfan70 said:
Hope you guys like it. The thread is 2.5 years old now. Not much has changed. If anything, my HT room has pretty much turned into a junk room.

Wait. What? Is this your room with the PJ and Mackies?

jamhead said:
Yesfan70 said:

Wait. What? Is this your room with the PJ and Mackies?

Yes. It's still a very functional HT, but it doesn't look no where near as clean as those pictures. I have a bunch of baby things that my little boy has out grown, plus odds and ends of my things (Jeep parts, PC parts, etc.). I have just been too lazy to go down and get it straightened up.

My sister in law is going to have a baby in November. I think she finds out this weekend if it's a boy or girl. I sure hope it's a boy. If so, half the shit in my basement can be moved to her house. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Upgraditus. Happens to the best of us. Last time it hit me I ended up with a $35 subwoofer in my living room. Best peice of audi equipment I ever owned.

Maximo's partially right. I love them, but may start looking for something different. I'm also thinking about going back to conventional passive speakers.

If you, or anyone else, is interested feel free to PM me about them. I'm in no hurry to sell them but if the offers are right I have no problem letting them go. It's kinda one of those things, if I were able to sell all of them tonight, great. If I still have them 6 months to a year later....that's great too. I either get to enjoy them longer, or I get to move on to something new and different to experience.

Maximo said:
Upgraditus. Happens to the best of us. Last time it hit me I ended up with a $35 subwoofer in my living room. Best peice of audi equipment I ever owned.

wha? can i take a peek at this $35 dollar subwoofer?

yesfan, ive been curious about your avatar, did you end up buying klipsch? are you a hornhead now?

jomari said:
yesfan, ive been curious about your avatar, did you end up buying klipsch? are you a hornhead now?

Nope, I haven't bought anything. I was just looking around the Klipsch sight one day and thought their Palladium line looked really good....good enough for an avatar.

jomari said:
Maximo said:

wha? can i take a peek at this $35 dollar subwoofer?

Joms. I need to take some pics and update my system. I picked up a mint in the box PCB Subsonic 7. It is 6 years old and was PSB's flagship sub back then. Guy selling it had 15k in sub tech at home and was moving.

I love the look of those Palladium towers, but I think I can say I'd be more than happy without the 2" if it's going to save me 2.5 times the cost of the P-37F towers.

CiscoKid said:
Do you think there is any difference other than the woofer size from the $20,000 Klipsch Palladium P-39F and $8,000 P-37F. They're using the same driver series and cabinet materials. If they are practically the same other than the 7"/9" woofers I'd have to say wow, 2 inches extra inches added to your woofer costs an extra $2,000 a driver, lol.

S_KP_P37FN__67984__04292010042237-44.jpg
S_KP_939FE__67993__04292010050117-4453.jpg

I haven't looked into these speakers at all, but I assume with different drivers (size included), then the cabinet size and bracing would be different; crossover different; frequency response different; etc., etc.

Me thinks the two speakers are of different caliber.

jamhead said:
........Me thinks the two speakers are of different caliber.

For me, it's kinda like comparing the Dynaudio Evidence speakers to the Contour speakers I heard years back at this store. The Evidence were about $84,000/pr. The Contours were $3000/pr. Was there a difference? Oh yeah, definitely, but to my ears I did not think the Evidence sounded "$81k better" than the Contours.

I'm sure it is probably more than the size of the woofers between the two, but I bet for me it won't justify the added cost. The bookshelf versions of those speakers I would really love to hear (I think they go for about $4k/pr). You can only get them in one finish though (mocha or espresso like finish). Good thing I like that finish.

Yesfan, man i wish you well on your sale. saw the official thread... best of luck bud.

Maximo said:
I know a lot of guys who would gladly pay $12k for an extra two inches.

Yup.

asian_boy_raising_hand_in_class_42-17320567.jpg

Back