• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V System

Re: The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V Syste

Voodoo said:
Yesfan70 said:
desktop PC, where the majority of my programs reside
laptop
NAS
2 Sqeezeboxes (one wired, one WiFi)
PS3
2 Dish receivers
our 2 cellphones
printer (WiFi)

I guess with my desktop at the heart of the network, its age is beginning to show.

I think this may be more of an issue of your network hardware. Not your desktop PC only.
Questions, are any of your devices gigabit? Router, laptop, NAS?

V

V

No gigabit on my network and my router is a wireless G as far as the WiFi devices go.

Yesfan70 said:
No gigabit on my network and my router is a wireless G as far as the WiFi devices go.

What model?

V

Voodoo said:
Yesfan70 said:

What model?

V

It is my AT&T DSL modem. It has a built in wireless router. 2Wire is the name I believe. It's wireless G.

Ok, by "install" I meant I copied everything in the Media Server's folder under Programs and just pasted it in a same named folder in the NAS. Not doubting your word, but why is there the option to download the SB Server during NAS setup and install?...

This is more for the SB owners out there to answer but, AFAIK the server program still runs on the PC and shows the SB devices where the data is on the NAS. It's either that or the SB software you installed on the NAS is Unix or Linux based (whichever the NAS uses) and can actually run using the NAS's OS.

...I did do what you suggested. I went into the PS3 Media Server (one on the desktop) and had the music folder on the NAS added thinking it would fix my flac problem. There's no change. How can the same files be streamed from my PC with no problem, but those same files being streamed from the NAS show as "unsupported data" and won't play on the PS3?...

The reason for that is because WMP is using a built-in DLNA server to transcode the FLAC files to .mp3 (or some other playable format) on the fly so the client devices see them as a format they can play. When the DLNA server, such as WMP is taken out of the loop, such as when the files are accessed directly from the NAS, the files are seen as client devices as FLAC and are therefore not playable.

...The Media Server supposed to let you view jpgs too, but I have been unable to get that going as well.

You may have browse directly to the folder containing the jpgs using whichever client device you have. Many of the client devices I've been around don't seem to have trouble automatically finding the folders w/ the jpgs.

John

I'm not using WMP for the PS3, but this:

link

I'll double check the pics folder as you suggested. Thanks for the help (you too Voo).

Voodoo said:
Yesfan,

I'd consider getting a gigabit switch for you LAN.
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX-TEG-S80G/dp/B001QUA6RA

How this would work is that you'd run a CAT5 from your AT&T router to the switch. Then connect your PC, NAS, PS3 to the switch. Transfer rates inside on the LAN will be much faster!

V

CAT 6 for gigabit, although a short run (less than 25') of cat 5e would probably work.

D

Doghart said:
CAT 6 for gigabit, although a short run (less than 25') of cat 5e would probably work.

D

Damn it, you're right. :(
Although most of my house is 5e. :scared-eek:

V

Yesfan70 said:
I'm not using WMP for the PS3, but this...

I understand that. You said that you can access the files when they're on your PC but not when they're on the NAS. The reason for this is because a DLNA server is transcoding the files on the PC but not the ones on the NAS. From earlier discussions, it sounds like you're sharing your media on the PC in WMP, which means that WMP is the DLNA server doing the transcoding.

John

yromj said:
Yesfan70 said:
I'm not using WMP for the PS3, but this...

I understand that. You said that you can access the files when they're on your PC but not when they're on the NAS. The reason for this is because a DLNA server is transcoding the files on the PC but not the ones on the NAS. From earlier discussions, it sounds like you're sharing your media on the PC in WMP, which means that WMP is the DLNA server doing the transcoding.

John

What would be the work around to be able to transcode those files for PS3 playback? Worst case scenario, I can do without if I "have to" as I plan on adding a 2 channel setup with a SB for the future, but that's on down the road.

Voodoo said:
Doghart said:

D

Damn it, you're right. :(
Although most of my house is 5e. :scared-eek:

V

I just ran 25 and 40 foot runs of cat5e cable from my equipment rack to my livingroom and downstairs office. I'm getting 1GB connection on both jacks. FWIW... I am using cat6 jacks on each end.

1GB.jpg

I think I'm going to send this NAS back. I have a HDD enclosure that has an eSATA port on it. eSATA cards are fairly cheap on Amazon, so I ordered one and am going to see how it goes. If it is faster or the same amount of speed as my NAS, then I'll just send the NAS back for a refund.

I probably should have done that to begin with.

I think you'll be glad you did!

Rope

Rope said:
I think you'll be glad you did!

Rope

My stuff should be in tomorrow. Wife and kid's out of town so I'll have piece, quiet, and time to get it setup and hopefully get my NAS out to mail if everything works. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Yesfan70 said:
If it is faster or the same amount of speed as my NAS, then I'll just send the NAS back for a refund.

It will be faster than NAS, Voodoo guarantee.

V

Voodoo said:
Yesfan70 said:
If it is faster or the same amount of speed as my NAS, then I'll just send the NAS back for a refund.

It will be faster than NAS, Voodoo guarantee.

V

I haven't got all my music copied yet, but it took me less than 15 minutes to move about 40GB of data to the SATA drive. Took me about 5 minutes to install the SATA card in my PC, but took forever and a day for the drivers to load.

The NAS and spare drive I bought will be going back. It looks like I'll get to keep the Dell Dementia a little longer, but I'm still just going to upgrade to a decent desktop unless you guys think a 10 year old PC still has enough life to make a decent media server.

I myself think I need to get something newer. IDE drives, single core processor, and CRT monitors are so ancient.

:text-bump:

I'm going to be adding a NAS to my system in the very near future, mostly becuase of my new job. I need to be able to access files while I'm on the road in case I don't have everything I need on my laptop. Since I'm going to be installing one, I might as well integrate it into my system as well.

My main question has to do with Twonky. I'm considering the QNap 212 which includes Twonky. Will Twonky on the NAS transcode either WMA Lossless or FLAC audio files to MP3 or some other codec that typical DLNA devices can read? I believe that Twonky will do that when it is running on a PC but I'm trying to get the PC completely out of the media loop and this is the only hurdle.

Any help is appreciated (btw...Haywood I'm looking for your thoughts here).

John

The more I looked into NAS the more sense it made to use Windows Home Server. I know several IT guys that swear by it for remote file access.

Considering NAS cost, is there an advantage to taking the PC out of the loop?
I'm surprised IT people would be willing to take the PC out of the game and add NAS, or perhaps that the advantage of using windows home server

Rope

By using Windows Home Server there essentially is a a PC in the loop. WHS is a nifty OS that runs on a very basic PC box on your network. You interface with it through any of the machines on the network or remotely. From what I'm told it gives you everything that a NAS does with additional benefits for less money. But we digress ... Sounds like Yromj is looking at other options.

Back