• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V System

Re: The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V Syste

I don't want to have to use my PC as the server. I really don't want anything bigger than a 2 bay NAS to deal w/ size-wise. I want something that's always on (when my PC currently acting as a server goes to sleep, it doesn't show up on the network to DLNA devices). In other words, I want something more robust than just a shared drive in a PC. I also don't want to have to rely on the PC to do the transcoding of the data for playback on the other devices.

I installed an LGN2A2 for a friend of mine and it works very well but it doesn't have Twonky installed. However, if the Twonky on the NAS won't do transcoding of lossless music files, then that doesn't matter.

It still looks to me like lossless music storage/playback requires either a PC, Squeezebox, or a Sonos system (listed in my order of preference and increasing cost). :angry-banghead:

John

John -

Installed Twonky/Music on Acer Iconia Tab, and Twonky 7.0 on my computer. Did the network thing and setup the music folder on mytwonky. Playing WMA lossless meda files from the Acer Iconia as I type.

The Acer tab will not play WMA lossless media from the external or internal storage, so I know it playing lossless over the network.

Rope

Yeah, Twonky will transcode to other devices when run on a PC. I'm trying to confirm that a NAS has enough power to transcode audio files. From what I've read, it seems as if it will work. Now I'm trying to find out if I can install Twonky, or Tversity, on the LG N2A2 NAS because it comes with hard drives installed.

John

:text-bump:

Well I now have a NAS up and running in my system. I bought a QNap TS-119PII. I opted for QNap because of their reputation and featureset. For example, I didn't buy a 2 bay NAS because the single bay has ESATA and USB ports, both of which can be used to make a mirror at any time. So, while I don't have real-time back-up I do have easy back-up capabilities. I like the fact that they can run many different types of apps directly on the NAS. I have Twonky Server and two email programs running on mine.

The Twonky is very good. All of my DLNA devices work well with it so far (the possible exception being the Dish receivers but they aren't true DLNA sources and I don't need them so I haven't spent any time on them). I can view pictures and videos on my Samsung LN46D6000 TV in the living room, pictures (I don't know if I tried videos yet - I don't have many) on the Sony BDP-S480 BDP in the theater. I can play FLAC files on the Yamaha RX-V867 in the living room.

I am having one trouble with Twonky and getting this resolved is driving me NUTS! When I go into the media options page, and into the transcoding options, the ONLY option that's greyed out is the ONLY audio transcoding option I have (to MP3). :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack:

I have been on Twonky's forum and QNap's forum and that will make you appreciate this forum in a big BIG way. The standard answer on both of them is, "Yes, it can be done. Do a search." First of all, I searched before I posted and secondly, all searches turn up are posts referring to video transcoding and they assume that you know Linux pretty well.

Right now I'm in the process of getting an app for my tablet which will let me control WMP on the tablet then I will finally be able to browse my music collection and play music from the comfort and serenity of the sweet spot. These are the things we'll be playing w/ at the GTG.

John

Back