• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time to buy a PS3?

Towen7

Staff member
My stepson has asked for a PS3 for Christmas. I'm no gamer but I know the current generation of consoles have been around a while. Is now a good time to buy a new machine? Is there something new on the horizon?

Well, according to that site's speculation the PS4 wouldn't see the light of day until late 2012. If all goes acording to plan he'll be out of the house by then :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

I know it's a gaming system first, but I still see the PS3 as a "bluray player" that can also play games, stream music, etc. To me I don't think I could justify spending the same amount of money on a stand alone player. A friend of mine has one of the first ones that came out and upconverted DVDs look just fabulous on his 5-6 year old Sony RPTV.

I would love to get the move setup that's out now, but just don't have the funds yet. Maybe when that time comes around the PS4s will be out. If so, I just hope they are backwards compatible with PS3 games.

Yesfan70 said:
I just hope they are backwards compatible with PS3 games.
They'd shoot themselves in the foot if it wasn't and I don't see Sony shooting themselves in their collective feet.

I dunno, the latest round of PS3's are not backwards compatible...

I look at it this way, would I really go back and play my old ass games on new console?? Probably not, and if I really wanted to I would just keep the old console....

D

The early PS3's were PS2-compatible, but the later ones were not. I imagine they'd use the same update path... It would suck to buy a brand new PS4 and have no games to play on it!

I'm not so worried about PS2 games so much as I would worry about older PS3 games (when the PS3 was first introduced).

To give you all an idea how long I have been out of the 'video game click', my last game console was a Super Nintendo. I've played games here and there over the years at friends' houses, but never had the desire to get another console. The past couple of years have changed with Rock Band and Guitar Hero though. That PS3 really can play everything.

I'm sure if I don't get one in the next year or two, I'll have one when my son gets older.

Yeah, my ~7yo is really into the Lego games on the PS3. She's playing Batman right now. And admittedly, I like them too. Lego Harry Potter is way cool! I enjoy playing that one with her.

They did away w/the backwards compatibility to cut costs and make it more affordable in a down economy. I'm happy w/my 60g PS3. Looking into getting a 500g HDD for it soon.

There's no time like the present and w/Black Friday in the loom, why not?

Hey, I "downgraded" to 5.1 from my initial 7.1 system, and have no complaints. ;) I'm not a bleeding-edge sort of person... I have an ancient PS3, antique Onkyo 885, pre-cambrian Parasound amps, etc.

first off, how olds the stepson?

the reason im asking is, as a number of y'all know, ive been gaming for quite sometime already. (i said Gaming Matt... :D)

anyways, the amount of time you'd end up playing on a console is relative to the amount of productivity you would like to squeeze out of a person. As a result, a matter of balance is needed, and well, priorities are something ive learned throughout the years.

sure ive played a day or two straight, but hey, ive done the dishes, done the laundry, ironed clothes et al prior to such.

I also consider the age due to game selection. do you see him as a racer? as a FPS shooter? et al? most games out there, and a couple of responsible sellers would advise you if the game was rated M for mature, and it shows you what level of gore, expletive language is out there. I dont question parental guidance, or what not, im just saying whats out there.

Anyhoo, the new slims are great, and quite frankly, i didnt miss much of the BC a lot of 'Big boned' Ps3 owners have proudly boasted about. I owned the first one too for a while, and only held it for some time due to Snake Eater.

Nonetheless, the Lego series is also available on the Ps3, for your pleasure and your sons.

You can always head into gamestop, trade in EVERYTHING you own on the ps2, and put that towards the Ps3. Remember to look for hardware deals prior to such. This occurs mostly when bundles come out. Which in this case, the GT5 series might be a great reason to jump in.

As for the move, well, its a great product, its just a bit too high of a cost for me. Considering that it would cost almost as much as a new Ps3, i held off.

Give it a shot bud. And if i may suggest, there are a number of great games to boot to play.

I have a list of games 20 clams under, that may appeal to you.

He's 16.

If I left him alone he's play video games as long as he's awake. We try to limit the amount of time but my general rule is that he can do waht he wants to after he does what he has to. My only concern is that the console becomes obsolete very shortly after I buy it. With what I've read the PS3 won't be replaced until late 2012. By then he should be in college and can buy his own PS4.

i cant believe i saw an ad yesterday about mario bros turning 25. that means ive been gaming for a good 25 years now! :(

anyways, i personally dont believe it to be replaced anytime soon. i kinda see myself in him in a way, but as long as he finishes his duties, then its cool.

id also consider having a power strip with a remote so you can 'turn it off' after midnight. :D

anyways, best of luck towen, its definitely a great investment, and seems like the timings just right. :D

Back