• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tom Dowd

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Have the day off, just finished watching this:

If you're at all interested in the engineering/production side of things, this is a really good documentary. Dowd was a major player in the recording world starting in the 50's, and personally developed a lot of the technology of the time. This is a great historical piece, going way back to the second (after Les Paul's original) 8-track tape recorder used in commercial recording, by Atlantic Records. He "invented" the use of the sliding fader in a mixer (as opposed to circular knobs). He worked with a long list of musical greats: Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers... the list goes on. Lots of good guest shots with many of these folks. Good history lesson!

Highly recommended.

And yes, Tom produced the first two Joe Bonamassa solo albums. ;) (Joe has a short appearance on here.)

Ah, never occurred to me to look for it on Netflix... :oops: Oh well, I like this sort of historical and engineering stuff, one I'm glad to own.

I have that! I just pulled it off the shelf to watch once I get tired of watching Qaddafi killing his "subjects". :angry-banghead:

I didn't realize he'd produced Joe Cassanova, but then I hadn't heard of him a year ago. Looking forward to watching it again! :text-thankyoublue:

Back