• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Trinaural Processor: Three speaker stereo

I would comment but with the posts already present, I don't know it would make any difference to anyone who has not actually listen to the setup or was at CES when it won the Best of CES Award back in 2003. There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride. It's audio, have some fun.

Tough room Wards – the tooth fairy may have fared better :)

The review by Dr. David Rich for The Sensible Sound peaked my interest way back – I’m a fan of any writings by Rich in particular those from The Audio Critic as contributing technical editor.

soundhound said:
........The 3 channel masters of all the recordings made during the 1950s and 1960s were never heard in their native format by the public until SACD made it possible to hear them as they were originally recorded...........

Great post SH. Is there a certain label(s) that one should look for these recordings? I would be more interested in jazz that was offered this way. Also, which version of KoB has been released this way? I have the pitch corrected Sony CD release.

I imagine places like the Acoustic Sounds and others would carry them. What I was wondering about is if the descriptions would tell if they are in the original 3 channel format or not.

Yesfan70 said:
soundhound said:
........The 3 channel masters of all the recordings made during the 1950s and 1960s were never heard in their native format by the public until SACD made it possible to hear them as they were originally recorded...........

Great post SH. Is there a certain label(s) that one should look for these recordings? I would be more interested in jazz that was offered this way. Also, which version of KoB has been released this way? I have the pitch corrected Sony CD release.

I imagine places like the Acoustic Sounds and others would carry them. What I was wondering about is if the descriptions would tell if they are in the original 3 channel format or not.

The only ones I know about personally are classical recordings made by RCA and Mercury Living Presence, but there are probably more out there. About the only way you might know if the original 3 track master is used is possibly if only the L,C,R tracks are used and there is nothing on the surrounds and LFE, and if you know the master was cut during the 50s / early 60s. The Mercury recordings make it a point to tell you that the recording is in its original mastering format.

Quite honestly though, there's not much listening difference between the center channel being discrete or phantom, but you can experiment to see for yourself. There's certainly no opening up of the heavens and instant audio nirvana by listening to the discrete 3 channel masters, which really makes me suspect the bullshit blurb about the Trinaural processor. The difference between discrete and phantom just ain't that big a deal, imaging or otherwise.

"unsatisfactory and a complete failure as a format."

Haha...he should come to my place then, tell me how many channels are playing and place a bet. I'll show him failure.

Wards, you trying to tell me there is more then one approach to this stuff and your allowed to enjoy it? Hell you say!!!!!!

It's from the first link in Troy's original post.

soundhound said:
The only ones I know about personally are classical recordings made by RCA and Mercury Living Presence, but there are probably more out there. About the only way you might know if the original 3 track master is used is possibly if only the L,C,R tracks are used and there is nothing on the surrounds and LFE, and if you know the master was cut during the 50s / early 60s. The Mercury recordings make it a point to tell you that the recording is in its original mastering format.

Quite honestly though, there's not much listening difference between the center channel being discrete or phantom, but you can experiment to see for yourself. There's certainly no opening up of the heavens and instant audio nirvana by listening to the discrete 3 channel masters, which really makes me suspect the bullshit blurb about the Trinaural processor. The difference between discrete and phantom just ain't that big a deal, imaging or otherwise.

I agree there's not much difference, but it was more of the experimentation and just hearing it as the engineers heard it that has me intrigued. Plus, that would give me an excuse to buy a couple of SACDs for my collection.

Back