1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Turntable action

Discussion in 'Source Components' started by Flint, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

This series of responses makes me want to find every for sale advertisement for old shitty Altec home stereo speakers and post them here.

2. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

Well regardless, speaking as a person who was an engineer at the Altec factory and know their products very well, I'm sure you can imagine that their marketing department might possibly have cast some of their products in a better-than-reality light? The problem is that if you weren't actually there, you don't know what you don't know. :moon:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Renaissance man

@Flint if you're ever down San Antonio way, drop me a line. You are more than welcome to stop by to hear some tunes and even spin some of your vinyl, if you care to bring it. Otherwise, I have plenty of vinyl, digital and even reel to reel from the likes of The Tape Project and others.

4. Flint

5. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with Fisher speakers at all, but the fact that the crossover at least uses air core inductors and a film capacitor at least looks promising. Altec routinely used iron core inductors even in their professional speakers, and iron core inductors can saturate which causes distortion. Also, film capacitors are obviously better than electrolytics if for no other reason than the fact that they don't age from electrolyte drying out.

The thing is, most of the masses in the 60s and 70s were a lot less fussy about speaker fidelity until companies like Wilson made speakers like the WATT (Wilson Audio Tiny Tot), which added finesse to the mix. Things like diffraction weren't even on the radar. People thought a great speaker was one which made their Chicago albums thump (Cerwin Vega comes to mind). Altec's home speakers fit right in to that world. It was a frightening time to be alive.

6. malsackj

malsackj Well-Known Member

7. Flint

UPDATE: I've progressed on my Turntable since my last post about it.

I have done several small things. I purchased and use the following items:
    an original Rega dust cover for the turntable from Amazon.
    a heavy brass spindle weight with a bubble level which makes it easier to ensure the platter if level to the ground
    the classic Discwasher brush system, haven't used it much since my LPs have been very well cared for
    a good stylus brush

In the process of cleaning up my library / drum room area I came across the other halve of my LP collection which I now need to find some sort of storage for near my turntable. I don't want to climb the stairs every time I want to listen to an LP or to return an LP to storage.

I also visited my local record store, yes, we still have one, and it was like going back in time. When I walked it the wreak of sandlewood incense filled the air and the owner was playing "Rubber Soul". For me it was a moment of timelessness and I could have been 14 years old all over again. I laughed when the Beatles LP started skipping in the middle of one song and when the owner moved the needle to the next song it started skipping during that one too. Once I found the new LPs for sale, I was dismayed. Almost all of them were priced above $30, and all of the disks I was interested in buying were priced over $40. That's too much for me. I want to support my local shop, but damn! On Amazon I was able to buy a couple of new pressings I wanted for under $20 - but I truly do want to support my local shop. So, I started digging through the used bins, which was depressing. The vast majority of the albums were completely uninteresting to me or I already owned them. The few I would have purchased, again, were priced between $10 and $20, which is way too much for used LP unless it is in absolute mint condition, and these were clearly not mint. Most has residue marks from wet cleaning, some had visible radiating scratches which ran across the groove, and others looked visibly pitted or marked. One Zappa CD I was particularly interested in was so warped, I didn't want to take the chance of flattening it out for $15. So, I ended up walking out without any new stuff. Sad. This store was great though - not only did they have LPs, but they had CDs, Cassettes, 8-track tapes, VHS tapes, Beta tapes, DVD, and more. They even had the "adult" section is a separated room. I mean, this was such a throwback for me. Even the owner was a stereotype - a roundish fellow with a Benjamin Franklin bald patch on the top of his head and long salt and pepper hair below, long grey / white beard, glistening eyes, and pudgy fingers. He was wearing a tie-dye "keep Austin weird" T-Shirt, loose pajama pants (like those Indian or Thai pants), and sandals. Dangling on the end of his nose was a pair of cheap reading glasses. He was super-nice and I wanted to stay and just talk and learn about him and his history. It was amazing. I will definitely be going back just for the atmosphere.

Anyway, I generally listen to a few LPs every week, which constitutes but a small part of my music time. I am enjoying hearing music I haven't heard in decades, as the LPs I am focused on are those which have become rare and in most cases have never been re-released on CD or streaming. It helps me recall my history, which is nice now that I am alone again and can spend energy reliving my turbulent past.

That's it.

lakedmb and PaulyT like this.
  8. JeffMackwood

JeffMackwood Maxi-Me

I recently had my Pioneer RG-1 Dynamic Range Expander fully refurbished and put back into the vinyl "path" in my main HT, where it resides along with an SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction unit.

When adjusted properly, those two units working in concert really help my old (but nearly pristine) vinyl sound more CD-like. Quite the improvement I must say.

Actually, I also throw a dbx 100 Subharmonic Synthesizer (connected to a dedicated subwoofer) to add another octave of sound to the bottom end, something I find that vinyl, unlike CD, lacks all too frequently.

Vinyl Nirvana!

Jeff "The Vinyl Purist" Mackwood

9. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member Famous

I have one if those Pioneer RG 1's in storage in the loft of my garage.

Holy classic audio crap.