1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Folks, I'm playing with the behavior of the titles and banners; you may want to read the relevant thread in the Forum Suggestions area.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Turntable action

Discussion in 'Source Components' started by Flint, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

This series of responses makes me want to find every for sale advertisement for old shitty Altec home stereo speakers and post them here.

2. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

Well regardless, speaking as a person who was an engineer at the Altec factory and know their products very well, I'm sure you can imagine that their marketing department might possibly have cast some of their products in a better-than-reality light? The problem is that if you weren't actually there, you don't know what you don't know. :moon:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Well-Known Member

@Flint if you're ever down San Antonio way, drop me a line. You are more than welcome to stop by to hear some tunes and even spin some of your vinyl, if you care to bring it. Otherwise, I have plenty of vinyl, digital and even reel to reel from the likes of The Tape Project and others.

4. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

5. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with Fisher speakers at all, but the fact that the crossover at least uses air core inductors and a film capacitor at least looks promising. Altec routinely used iron core inductors even in their professional speakers, and iron core inductors can saturate which causes distortion. Also, film capacitors are obviously better than electrolytics if for no other reason than the fact that they don't age from electrolyte drying out.

The thing is, most of the masses in the 60s and 70s were a lot less fussy about speaker fidelity until companies like Wilson made speakers like the WATT (Wilson Audio Tiny Tot), which added finesse to the mix. Things like diffraction weren't even on the radar. People thought a great speaker was one which made their Chicago albums thump (Cerwin Vega comes to mind). Altec's home speakers fit right in to that world. It was a frightening time to be alive.