• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

UltraViolet Account ?

Be careful Barney it adds up quick. I just started my Vudu library 3 years ago and I'm already approaching 1,900 movies. It gets addicting. But when you discover you can bring a laptop to your local library and use their wifi you can easily spend over 100.00 just quickly adding movies since they only cost you 2.50/ea for HDX quality movies you don't even own.

Barney just so you know there is some good and some bad about digital movies.

The bad is the digital movies are limited to what the studios give to Ultraviolet for distribution and sometimes they give inferior audio codecs. For about every ten titles there will be one that is only in Dolby stereo. Take The Matrix trilogy they are only in stereo which makes no sense and Warner Brothers is aware but won't release to UV a 5.1 or even better 7.1 codec and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's amazing what titles are only in stereo.

The Good is there are HDX titles that have been out for years that are still not on BluRay. Take "True Lies" with Ah-nold I've had it for years now in HDX but you still can't buy it on Bluray. I have many many titles like this so that is the good what's cool is there are titles that I don't think will ever be released on Bluray that you can buy on HDX take Bill Murray and Gina Davis in "Quick Change" about a bank heist. That for some reason has never been released on Blu and some older Classic movies like Audrey Hepburn in "Wait Until Dark".

Barney PM Elfstone he's giving away a Fast and Furious 7 code on another thread and is asking for anyone to take it off his hands.

Also Digital Movie Empire has all seven "Saw" movies for 8.00 that's the entire collection for only 8.00 now it's only in SD and not HDX but it would help build up your collection very fast.

Hey Scott & Matt, I was doing some disc to digital today just to see how it works, had to stop. I'm up to 25 movies now but not bad for $2.50 a movie & discovered even if the movie is 4 discs, still just $2.50 (when doing 10 or more).
Pisses me off because Star Wars aren't avalible for disc to digital, Lucas or somebody won't let you, even though I own all the DVD's.
I'll take a break and go check my local library. Hope they let me do the disc to digital there with my laptop. Now I wished it had a bluray instead of a DVD player in my laptop. Oh well, I'm happy for now.
Also, I ordered the UV HD code from watchingthewolf site for The Fury for $2.99, outstanding. Should have the code within 24 hrs or so by email.

MatthewB said:
Be careful Barney it adds up quick. I just started my Vudu library 3 years ago and I'm already approaching 1,900 movies. It gets addicting. But when you discover you can bring a laptop to your local library and use their wifi you can easily spend over 100.00 just quickly adding movies since they only cost you 2.50/ea for HDX quality movies you don't even own.

Assuming you paid the minimum ($2.50) for each title:

1,900 movies x $2.50 = $4,750
$4750 over three years = $1,583 per year

That's a pretty sizable investment when Netflix and Amazon is under $200/year. I guess if one re-watches a LOT of movies it'd be worth it. Even the library scam... instead of spending $25 to convert 10 discs... why not check-out what you want to watch, watch it, and return it for $0.

The idea of owning more than a few dozen (okay maybe a hundred or two) of your favorite movies that you'll watch over and over again just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

Tom I'm adding these movies more for my mom and sisters and niece than myself. My sisters who work very hard have no extra money at all for things like movies, same with my niece whose a poor struggling student. My mom who is wealthy is getting up there in age and having her drive a lot is becoming a concern. So I do this more for them than myself. They tell me all the time they appreciate it and I can never do enough for the ladies in my life.

Oh and libraries only have DVD and not Bluray so for the cost of one Bluray I can get 10 HDX movies that I can share with my whole family is worth it. Me and my mom share my account so when she watches a movie I can see what she watches. I saw the other day she was watching Mad Max Fury Road and had to smile knowing my 78 year old mom was watching that. She's a very cool mom.

Barney best advice I can give you as your just starting out. Buy yourself a cheap 40.00 external Bluray player than each Bluray you convert only costs you 1.00/ea to convert when you add more than 10.

Yeah you can't disc to digital, Disney, MGM some Lionsgate and Star Wars or Raiders of the lost Ark. You'll also discover a bunch of movies that disc to digital can't recognize even if the title is eligible. Those have to be taken to Wal Mart for conversion in the photo center and those in store don't get you the 10 or more discount so it's 5.00 each for DVD to HDX or 2.00/ea for Bluray to HDX

Nifty trick if the DVD is double sided and side one isn't recognized flip the disc over and try side two. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Your library shouldn't care mine doesn't. I just grab a handful find a place to sit then load them up and take back and put em back where I got them and grab some more. Never been asked by staff what I was doing and since the conversion only takes seconds they realize I'm not copying them.

Towen, there are movies right now that aren't on Netflix or Amazon. You can pay extra to buy or rent on Amazon. Most of the movies have been out for some time.
I've been out of the loop for a couple of years & even back then I didn't buy that many movies. Right now I think I could use one hand to count all my blurays and 2 of those I just bought in the cheap bin (Hobbit).
I just bought the UV code for Fury for $2.99, no tax. I just checked Netflix & they don't have Fury.
I have not intention to have a library like Matt or Scott nor do I pay some company every month to have programming which cost close to the $1500 a year that Matt spent for movies.

Yeah. The subscription services don't always have the latest titles. True story. Even RedBox can be a bit behind. I cut my media buying to almost nothing because I realized that we usually watch a movie once and that from a purely financial sense, it didn't make sense.

Maybe our watching habits are different than most.

I'm in the same boat as Towen, I went from an every Tuesday trip to BB for new releases. To maybe going 3 or 4 times this past year. My actual purchases are limited almost exclusively to animated movies (Pixar, dreamworks, etc) and comic book/pop culture blockbusters. I just don't care about how many titles I own or my collection like I used to. There's so many new shows and new movie content available to catch up on, I barely pay any mind to release dates anymore unless the kids inquire.

Towen, what I really enjoy is a couple of the networks have sub channels by way of OTA. FOX has a sub channel, Movies, old black & white movies, John Wayne, were you around when there was a show "The Real McCoys"..alot of classics. Another network CBS or NBC, can't remember, has a sub channel with old programs....The Martian, I Love Lucy etc....I get into it when they have a John Wayne night going.

Barney said:
Hey Scott & Matt, I was doing some disc to digital today just to see how it works, had to stop. I'm up to 25 movies now but not bad for $2.50 a movie & discovered even if the movie is 4 discs, still just $2.50 (when doing 10 or more).
Pisses me off because Star Wars aren't avalible for disc to digital, Lucas or somebody won't let you, even though I own all the DVD's.
I'll take a break and go check my local library. Hope they let me do the disc to digital there with my laptop. Now I wished it had a bluray instead of a DVD player in my laptop. Oh well, I'm happy for now.
Also, I ordered the UV HD code from watchingthewolf site for The Fury for $2.99, outstanding. Should have the code within 24 hrs or so by email.

All but the original Star Wars movie are on Disney Movies Anywhere rather than UV and DMA does not have a disc to digital program. You will also be out of luck with most MGM titles and most foreign movies. Ditto for anything Disney distributes, such as Dimension and Touchstone. Pretty much everything else should convert though, with some odd exceptions.

Towen7 said:
Yeah. The subscription services don't always have the latest titles. True story. Even RedBox can be a bit behind. I cut my media buying to almost nothing because I realized that we usually watch a movie once and that from a purely financial sense, it didn't make sense.

I usually own every movie Red Box has that I want to watch, because I buy the codes as soon as they show up on the secondary market.

Haywood said:
Towen7 said:

I usually own every movie Red Box has that I want to watch, because I buy the codes as soon as they show up on the secondary market.
Thats kinda my plan for now, if there is a newer movie I'd like then I'll look for the cheapest code to buy, like the $2.99 for Fury. But my buying movies days are slim now.

I would buy movies the day they were released so spending 50.00 a week was becoming the norm. I figured I'd allow myself 200.00/ month habit wasn't so bad as I don't smoke, don't do drugs and hardly drink so if my "habit" was 200.00 a month then I could live with that. With Vudu I've actually cut my spending down to about half of that.

Tom your math would be correct if my nephew and good friend who I share an account with weren't also adding movies also. Heck my nephew added over 100 movies this last Christmas as a present to the family as he couldn't be with us last year. I'm actually spending close to 100.00 a month for movies and mostly for new releases. I've already pre ordered Tomorrowland for 7.99 and San Andreas for 7.50 so that is this weeks purchases. I actually spent more this past month as all the James Bond films were finally released and I managed to buy bundle packs of all six Sean Connery for 30.00, all four Pierce Brosnan Bonds for 18.00 and four Roger Moore Bonds for 23.00 and the Daniel Craig Bond three pack for 20.00 and On her Majesty Secret Service for 7.00 so for about 100.00 I got all the Bond films I wanted (screw Octopussy and Moonraker and those crappy Timothy Dalton movies) I then had 8 Bond Blurays that I sold to a second hand store for 5.00/ ea so basically I just bought 18 Bond movies for 60.00 or about 3.25 each that I can now share with my family.

I am slowing down though as its getting harder for me to find movies I actually want in my collection. I've reached a point where if I don't already own it, the movie is not disc to digital or the disc isn't recognized.

I understand the financial argument against movie collecting, but here is my counter-argument. Red Box is behind and slowly dying. Blockbuster is gone. The only way to reliably rent new releases is pay per view or streaming. The rental fee is about $6 for most films. The way Matt and I buy movies, we only pay about what it costs (maybe a couple bucks more) to rent the movie and end up owning it. The back catalog gets expensive, but you have to watch the direction things are going with the streaming services. Netflix is dumping the big movie licenses in favor of spending more on its own programming. Amazon and Hulu have picked up the ones Netflix dropped, but they are also heavily investing in original content. The idea is that offering movies everyone has seen before does not drive subscriptions. It is entirely possible that the vast catalog of cheap movies we now take for granted will dry up over the next few years. Even now, there are quite a few titles that are not on the major streaming services. Spending a couple bucks on a disc-to-digital conversion means knowing the movie will continue to be available. It also means getting the movie in much better than DVD quality without having to drop a huge wad repurchasing it on Blu-Ray.

I also share my library, though I am the only one making purchases. My parents, my sister's family and my best friend all linked their Vudu accounts to my UV account and can therefore watch most of my movies. My parents are on a pretty tight retirement budget and cannot afford to spend much on movies, but this gives them access to most of the new releases not long after they hit.

I agree Haywood. Why rent for about 4.00 when I can buy for 5-7.00 first off I can buy in my boxers, no time spent driving to and from Redbox then to and from to return. Most of the time my local redbox is out of what I want to watch anyway. It's worth the extra 2-3 bucks not to have to travel or worry about returns.

My mother was bragging to a friend when I last visited that she loves no longer having to drive to Redbox anymore as she knows either me or my nephew will add a new release (sometimes weeks before official release). It's easy and convenient and I love no longer having to dig thru my collection to find a title. Just do a search and bam it's there and playing within seconds. I've also been introduced to movies there is no way Redbox will ever carry. In fact I own "The Raid" and "The Raid 2" two Japanese subtitled action films that are just about the most action packed movies I've ever seen. I recall my jaw being open thruout The Raid thinking no way will I ever see a movie that action packed ever again. Then I saw The Raid 2.

By the way the new Judge Dredd movie was stolen scene for scene by The Raid. The Raid was far better. Think I paid 4.00 for each movie (no tax). I used to have a massive DVD and Bluray collection stored up in my closet and now most are all gone. Sold when I converted to HDX to help cover the cost. When I travelled to San Diego my mother took her iPad downloaded a couple movies to her iPad and just watched while in the car with her headphones for the six hour drive.

Back