• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upcoming Music releases

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I just went thru Amazon's "Recommended to You" list that they painstakingly put together every day just for me, and there's some upcoming treasures.
Rush: Moving Pictures is coming out on Bluray Audio, remixed for 5.1!!! Set will include some videos for the hits.
The Cars: Move Like This . They released an EP a few years ago with the original keyboardist (Greg Hawkes) and lead guitarist (Elliot Easton), with Todd Rundgren on guitar and vox, Kasim Sultan on bass and vox (IMNSHO the most under-rated rock bassist and lead vocalist ever), and the drummer from the Tubes (whose name escapes me). No info on the band lineup this time around.
A new album by Duran Duran (yeah they're a bunch of pretty boys, but I've always liked them)
AC/DC, concert on Bluray 5.1

Good Lookin' Out, Botch!

Let me add.....

Release Date: April 12th....

Alison Krauss and Union Station - Paper Airplane

417z2kUgovL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dennie

I had just placed another order to Amazon; one of the items was an Alison Krauss/US concert DVD; anxious to see it.

That Rush Bluray will be mine!

Wow, 5.1 Bluray. Will a PS3 and/or conventional Bluray player play these discs or are we going to be screwed like with SACD and DVD-A when they came out?

Yesfan70 said:

Wow, 5.1 Bluray. Will a PS3 and/or conventional Bluray player play these discs or are we going to be screwed like with SACD and DVD-A when they came out?

PS3 should play it just fine. So should any Blu-Ray player, for that matter.

If the product notes on Amazon are correct, the disc includes both PCM 5.1 and also DTS-HD 5.1 options. The DTS-HD and PCM 5.1 should both sound identical, in theory at least. My thinking is that the PCM 5.1 exists for folks with older BD players that lack DTS-HD capabilities. All of which initially made me wonder why they even bothered with the DTS-HD version, if it is identical sounding. But then I realized that the DTS-HD might be there for those folks who have BluRay players hooked up to old receivers that only do old-fashioned Dolby Digital/DTS, and that they should be able to extract a 'core' regular plain old lossy DTS 5.1 signal via the DTS-HD track; it'll just be lossy instead of lossless. At least that's my hypothesis. Either that or it's just marketing.

Botch,
Thanks for the heads up on the Rush disc. I guess, now that you mention it, there is a thread about this over at QuadraphonicQuad; but I just kept glossing over it, and it just never registered with me. Plus I don't post much there lately. So, long story short, this is pretty much news to me!

Anyway... I'm not much of a Rush fan, and I don't yet have any of their music. But I will buy this one if the reviews turn out to be good. The only question is whether I'll buy the Blu-Ray version of the DVD-Audio version. (Supposedly there's a DVD-Audio version, too.) Personally, I'm more excited about the BluRay since it seems more forward-thinking. But it would behoove me to purchase the DVD-A, instead.

Supposedly there is talk that at least the BluRay version will be a Best Buy exclusive for a short period of time. Wonder if that's true.

Oh... and as for Duran Duran:

I remember back in '93 when they had their "comeback" album with the song Ordinary World, and I thought it had been an eternity since I had last heard from Duran Duran. In reality it would've been 1986's Notorious since I last heard them. A long time, sure but really we're talking about only 6 or 7 years. To a school kid that's a long time. But now when I look back, it's been almost 20 years since that comeback album. Yet time seems to have just flown by. Almost seems like it was yesterday. It's still a great album, btw.

Kazaam said:
Yesfan70 said:

PS3 should play it just fine. So should any Blu-Ray player, for that matter.

If the product notes on Amazon are correct, the disc includes both PCM 5.1 and also DTS-HD 5.1 options. The DTS-HD and PCM 5.1 should both sound identical, in theory at least. My thinking is that the PCM 5.1 exists for folks with older BD players that lack DTS-HD capabilities. All of which initially made me wonder why they even bothered with the DTS-HD version, if it is identical sounding. But then I realized that the DTS-HD might be there for those folks who have BluRay players hooked up to old receivers that only do old-fashioned Dolby Digital/DTS, and that they should be able to extract a 'core' regular plain old lossy DTS 5.1 signal via the DTS-HD track; it'll just be lossy instead of lossless. At least that's my hypothesis. Either that or it's just marketing.

As long as I don't need another player to hear it in lossless, I'll be fine. Thanks Kazaam.

Kazaam said:
I remember back in '93 when they had their "comeback" album with the song Ordinary World...
A band I was in did "Ordinary World", what a fun song to play! They went on tour just a few years ago, all five original members, and we really enjoyed it.

Yesfan70 said:

No it won't it will be Mine!! :eek:bscene-buttred:

Just saw on Facebook the new Cars video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxqxNzlEFM4[/youtube]

The classic sound! And that really sounds like Ric Ocasek on vox, not Todd Rundgren; that would be okay by me! :text-bravo:

Botch said:
Just saw on Facebook the new Cars video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxqxNzlEFM4[/youtube]

The classic sound! And that really sounds like Ric Ocasek on vox, not Todd Rundgren; that would be okay by me! :text-bravo:

Oh, those Cars! Still thinking that they need to make a music video in a day and age where MTV/VH1 never hardly ever play videos and probably never will bother with this. At least there's YouTube, which I suppose probably works as good for advertising new music as much as anything else these days. That is, unless they can do a tie-in with Jaguar. Damn, was Sting ever successful with that commercial!

This Tuesday, 5 April:
Clairvoyant-Cover-300x266.jpg

Also, the new Rush: Moving Pictures Bluray Audio comes out! :banana-rock:

Finally, a new Paul Simon album, So Beautiful and So What?, comes out 12 April. :handgestures-thumbup:

I don't suppose anyone has picked up the Rush DVD-Audio or BluRay?

So far there's only 1 review over at QuadraphonicQuad. But if it's good I'm planning on buying the DVD-A version. I'll probably try to buy from Best Buy since they list it in stock at all the area stores and they've been hurting a little bit. Right now their price says around $17.99, just like Amazon's. Unless it's just a web-only price and in-store is higher?

I pre-ordered the Rush Blur-ray. I guess the PS3 will get moved downstairs when it arrives. Now that I think about it, I guess since I don't have HDMI on my Denon 3803, I'm screwed on lossless audio. :(

I've been looking around and have seen a lot, and I mean a LOT, of new and/or newer music I would like to get on CD.

(scratches itch in his finger)........

Doesn't look good guys....doesn't look good at all for my wallet......

Yesfan70 said:
I pre-ordered the Rush Blur-ray.
Same here; every time a truck drives by I jump up on the couch and put nose-prints on the window like a lonely Labrador.

But it's quarter-to-seven.

I think UPS is done for the day.

<sniff>

:cry:

^^^ You won't get it until May 1st, so when that day arrives then you can start slobbering.

I know I will be. ;)

Yep, better head to Best Buy for the Blu-Ray if the floors get too wet from all the waiting. :(

Back