• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Used vs New LP's

Dentman

With the way records ware over X amount of plays does it make sense to hunt down used records of highly valued, to you albums? I can see it for less critical listening but for the well recorded, personal favorites is new the only way to go.
Let me mention collectors value aside for this discussion.

Firstly, properly cared for records do not wear out as long as they are played on a high quality turntable, correctly set up. I have records I bought in the late 1960s which still sound like new with no added noise.

Of course that its been well cared for and played only on a good turntable a big assumption!

Your right. I have stuff from the late 50's that still sounds great. I've been reading to much audiophile stuff related to vinyl as I shopped for a new turntable.

The problem with used vinyl is exactly that you don't know how well it has been cared for. A visual inspection of the record itself, and its cover / artwork can give you some comfort, but you really don't know until you get it home and try it out. I suspect most shops nowadays would let you try a used record in-store, using some set-up of theirs (and headphones), but how do you know that their gear is set up properly?

I believe I've cared for my original-bought records properly, and like rammis' they sound as good as when new, but then again I had some roommates in res at university who might not have when they helped themselves and spun them when I was out (at least on my properly set-up turntable.)

I don't buy vinyl any more, but if I did it would almost certainly be new only. Just about any recording that I want can be found in some digital format. (Example: I've recently used Spotify Premium to acquire a few dozens of albums worth of content that I'd been looking for, in some cases, for years.)

Jeff

Back