• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

V for Vendetta

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Picked this one up cheap on BD recently, forgot how much I enjoyed this movie! Watched it last night, it's really well done. (Even Portman did ok. ;)) I'm gonna pick up the graphic novel now, should be interesting to compare. Especially after doing the same - movie vs. novel - for Watchmen.

510NTLa79iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This movie is considerably less faithful to it's novel than The Watchmen. Great read though.

PaulyT said:
Picked this one up cheap on BD recently, forgot how much I enjoyed this movie! Watched it last night, it's really well done. (Even Portman did ok. ;)) I'm gonna pick up the graphic novel now, should be interesting to compare. Especially after doing the same - movie vs. novel - for Watchmen.

510NTLa79iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not a fan?

Just picked this up thru red2blu.com I'll have to check it out again, it'll be my 2nd viewing...I don't recall being blown away. Until the end :happy-smileygiantred:

No, I'm not generally a fan of Portman, though admittedly I have a hard time separating her "tabloid" life from her acting. She was decent in this one, way better than any of the SW1-3... I do like this style of movie, the whole comic book-like theme, and I just thought Weaving did a fantastic job considering you never once even see his face - a very different role and acting job. And the intelligent and old-fashioned language in this one, too - again mostly from V/Weaving - appeals to me a great deal.

PaulyT said:
No, I'm not generally a fan of Portman, though admittedly I have a hard time separating her "tabloid" life from her acting. She was decent in this one, way better than any of the SW1-3... I do like this style of movie, the whole comic book-like theme, and I just thought Weaving did a fantastic job considering you never once even see his face - a very different role and acting job. And the intelligent and old-fashioned language in this one, too - again mostly from V/Weaving - appeals to me a great deal.

Tabloid Life? I thought she was one of the few stars to have her shit together and keep her private life, private.

I didn't care for this movie. It was ok, I did like the schoolgirl outfit scene, other than that, it was just meh.
Rob

Tabloids? I thought she was well educated and sorta private. I never see tabloid crap about her. I think she's an excellent actor, her worst roles were Star Wars because of horrid Lucas written dialogue. Can't say I'm thrilled about her upcoming romcom with Ashton Cootchie though.

Wow, Natalie Portman is fairly well regarded in general ESP when she was an up and coming young actress. Lucas is a HORRIBLE director, he wouldn't be able to get Meryl Streep to look good is those flicks! who else stood out in that POS prequel trilogy...Weaving was incredible as Megatron in TF/TF2 too, those were truely inspired efforts :teasing-neener:

Ok maybe it's not Portman that I'm thinking of, who's gotten a bunch of DUI arrests or something... ? I could be wrong about Portman, not like I follow tabloids all that closely (at all, really). Nor is my memory of actors/actresses all that great. Ah - maybe it's Lindsey Lohan I'm thinking of?

Oh well. I still wasn't that thrilled with Evey in this movie, to me it was all about V and everything else was fluff. ;)

PaulyT said:
Ok maybe it's not Portman that I'm thinking of, who's gotten a bunch of DUI arrests or something... ? I could be wrong about Portman, not like I follow tabloids all that closely (at all, really). Nor is my memory of actors/actresses all that great. Ah - maybe it's Lindsey Lohan I'm thinking of?

Oh well. I still wasn't that thrilled with Evey in this movie, to me it was all about V and everything else was fluff. ;)

Boy, I know it's a Friday, but it's pretty early to be drinking and confusing Portman and Lohan. Other than being child stars, that's about all those two have in common. :text-+1:
Rob

Well I did have a few beers (see the Winter Ales thread) before/during the movie last night.

Ok I promise next time I watch this movie, I will re-evaluate Portman's acting.

PaulyT said:
Well I did have a few beers (see the Winter Ales thread) before/during the movie last night.

Ok I promise next time I watch this movie, I will re-evaluate Portman's acting.

If you want to evaluate her "acting", watch the movie Closer!
Rob

On a whole I love Portman, but aside from star wars I think vendetta is one of her more "wooden" performances. Although I didn't care for black swan she was incredible...she's had a solid career so far with a great future.

Ummm... that (Closer) looks... revealing. (Near) nudity aside, not sure that's quite my type of movie... Black Swan looks more promising, IMHO.

PaulyT said:

I must bring this to light, Portman on screen and your watchin the dude in the mask? :eusa-whistle:

-B- said:
I must bring this to light, Portman on screen and your watchin the dude in the mask? :eusa-whistle:

No, I'm listening to the dude in the mask! :happy-smileygiantred:

Well, after watching V, my wife apparently upon discussion with her crowd, put "Leon: The Professional" in our netflix queue - a surprise to me when it arrived. We'd actually seen this movie a long time ago, but if you had asked me, I'd have had no clue at all who the little girl character was played by. :oops: But wow, it was fun to watch this movie again, it was REALLY good, and Portman did a hell of a job on this one, esp. considering her age at the time.

That movie put her on the radar, it's not even 20 years old yet! A classic among many...

Back