• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Vizio reliability?

Kazaam

I want a bigger TV. One model I'm halfways tempted to pick up is a 70-inch Vizio (E70-E3). I know it's not perfect, and I'd like to see it drop down in price somewhat below $1250 again before making the leap, but it's pretty much the biggest I can get in my room. And for whatever reason Vizio seems to be the only manufacturer currently selling 70-inch sets. You read the horror stories on the internet, and I'll confess that it does worry me that the thing would break down after two years. So... who here has had experience with Vizio?

I've got a 32" Vizio that is probably about 7 years old. It is bulletproof. But it's prob not the best comparison since the smaller size should be more rigid. If I was in the market for a 70" tv, Vizio would definitely be on my list of brands to consider. Their mid to upper range models seems to offer really good bang for buck.

My Visio E70 has been fine, no problems. I think I've had it for just over a year now.

There is only a difference of a couple inches of width between 70 and 75. There are tons of 75 sets. Are you sure none of them will fit?

It's not a big room, but the wall has the space to accommodate a 75" screen. It's just that I have wall-mounted speakers, which would fit pretty tight around a 75 so I'd feel compelled to move those out a couple of more inches. Not impossible, but I do kinda like the look of where they are mounted currently. A really awesome deal on a 75 could make me think twice, but I've already kinda been wondering if I was pushing it with a 70 incher. It's just that I bought a 55" less than two years ago, so the jump up to a 65 (even thought that's pretty huge) strangely just doesn't have quite the impressiveness for me that a 70" does. Coincidentally, I see this morning that Best Buy just added a 70" Sony to their line-up. Not cheap at $1800 considering it looks to be Sony's new low end. Still nice to see as it is another option.

I own a couple Vizio tvs. Neither are my primary video display. Personally if it were a main display for a primary viewing/listening area I'd probably go with another brand. But the value of a Vizio is really hard to match.

Personally if it were a main display for a primary viewing/listening area I'd probably go with another brand. But the value of a Vizio is really hard to match.

The only real flaw with my E70, which is the main display in our living room, is that the colors will fade noticeably when viewed from significantly off axis. We have a 10'x10' L-shaped sectional and if you're in one of the seats closest to the TV ( which are around 60* off axis) the picture is noticeably "washed out". We don't watch a ton of TV in there and when we do we sit in front so it's not an issue for us. I'm also kind of a jerk (you guys know that) and I don't care what guests sitting off axis think about the PQ.

But yeah. I got this set because of its value and I'm not disappointed and I'm not inclined to replace it. I have other AV priorities in that room. All of that said, If I had a little more free cash at the time I bought it I may have gone with a higher rated set.

I would personally go with the Sony, as they make some of the best sets in the industry.

Thanks guys.

I think I'm willing to give Vizio a try IF ever I come across a really good deal. So... probably around Thanksgiving/Christmas or the Super Bowl. (Though I'd really like something before!). Anyway... I'll keep an eye out. Heck... Maybe a deal happens with the slightly better M series, rather than the E. Or something with the Sony. Or a 65 or 75 or whatever. Will just kind of monitor what's out there and be ready once everything falls into place.

Back