• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Vote Yes on Prop 37

While I have no problem with labeling foods that contain GMO crops, problem is, everything will be labeled because most of the corn and soybeans grown here in the US are GMO crops. Do we go as far as to start labeling clothes, as they probably contain GMO cotton?

There are many things we the payers have the right to know. I said "payers", get it? :think:

Huey said:
While I have no problem with labeling foods that contain GMO crops, problem is, everything will be labeled because most of the corn and soybeans grown here in the US are GMO crops. Do we go as far as to start labeling clothes, as they probably contain GMO cotton?

I don't know of any danger of GMO cotton but I never tried to eat my blue jeans. :teasing-neener: . But yeah, the idea is to eliminate GMO foods. Death to Monsatan.

Yes dog, only in CA.

GreatDane said:
Death to Monsatan.

Those bastards, trying to use science to increase crop production to help feed the world...

Do you have issues with their "why" or "how" (or both)?

(I'm originally from St. Louis where they're headquartered and my best friend's dad growing up worked there. I also participated in a one-day workshop for AP math and science students at one of their campuses when I was in high school. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this but I only remember one session from that day - ethics.)

CMonster said:
GreatDane said:
Death to Monsatan.

Those bastards, trying to use science to increase crop production to help feed the world...

Do you have issues with their "why" or "how" (or both)?

(I'm originally from St. Louis where they're headquartered and my best friend's dad growing up worked there. I also participated in a one-day workshop at one of their facilities when I was in high school for AP math and science students. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this but I only really remember one session from that day - ethics.)

See, that's what I don't understand all the hatred. Sure, they are making money off of it, but if they weren't somebody else would. The other alternative is to use toxic pesticides. I guess if I have the choice to eat food that has a harmless bacteria, or one that has been treated with an insecticide, too me it's not that hard of a choice.

I do believe you should have a choice and knowledge of what you are putting in your body. Be prepared though to pay more for items that are considered non gmo. We had a guy grow non gmo soybeans this year, which cost considerably more to keep weed free and uses quite a bit more pesticides. He was getting a premium, normal beans are in the $15 per bushel, and he was getting $35 per bushel, just because they were non gmo.

Oh no, they got to you guys too.

I don't come here to argue. I'm just trying to awaken the brainwashed. The truth will surface for you in time...it always does.

GreatDane said:
Oh no, they got to you guys too.

I don't come here to argue. I'm just trying to awaken the brainwashed. The truth will surface for you in time...it always does.

You didn't answer my question. And not believing the conspiracy theories of others does not necessarily make one brainwashed...

Huey said:
See, that's what I don't understand all the hatred.

I do believe you should have a choice and knowledge of what you are putting in your body.
That's the fight, Huey. It's less about the GMOs in food and more about being required to state it on the package.

Zing said:
Huey said:

I do believe you should have a choice and knowledge of what you are putting in your body.
That's the fight, Huey. It's less about the GMOs in food and more about being required to state it on the package.

I'd state it with pride in big, bold, colorful packaging! The GMO people want it to seem like a government warning on cigarettes and alcohol so us dumb, brainwashed consumers will think it's evil.

Kellog's Frosted Flakes Now Enhanced with Delicious (and Nutritious) GMOs!

CMonster said:
I'd state it with pride in big, bold, colorful packaging! The GMO people want it to seem like a government warning on cigarettes and alcohol so us dumb, brainwashed consumers will think it's evil.

With a statement like this I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. If true, I can only wonder how you could possibly believe that eating GM foods can somehow be healthy. Obviously the pro GMO members here have done their own reading on this matter and are convinced that a GM food consuming public will be a healthier public. GMO awareness is growing and cannot be stopped. The educated people will vote with their dollars. Time will tell.

CMonster said:
Zing said:
Huey said:

Besides, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes are Greeeeeeeeeeaaaat, ask Tony

Rope

GreatDane said:
CMonster said:

With a statement like this I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. If true, I can only wonder how you could possibly believe that eating GM foods can somehow be healthy. Obviously the pro GMO members here have done their own reading on this matter and are convinced that a GM food consuming public will be a healthier public. GMO awareness is growing and cannot be stopped. The educated people will vote with their dollars. Time will tell.

Trolling, yeah, maybe a little. Sorry. However, you still haven't answered my question about the source of your hatred for Monsanto. Do you think the chemists and biologists who work there think they're doing good or evil? They're not getting rich off of their work, that would be the top of the management chain. So I'm going to assume that they believe in what they're doing; that these highly-educated individuals feel that their work is benefiting man-kind.

Also, in the video posted, a series of ENTERTAINERS are telling me I should care about something called GMOs. There is no mention of WHY I should care nor have you offered any such explanation in this thread. I really don't know much about this topic and a brief scan of wikipedia yesterday has me leaning towards it being a non-issue.

Let me ask this. If Monsanto found a pure strain of maize in rural Mexico that showed extreme drought tolerance, would you have any problem with them growing it in a huge green house on the outskirts of St. Louis and selling those seeds? What if right next door to that green house the erected another one and filled it with a pure strain of Midwestern corn that over centuries had naturally evolved to withstand certain pests? And finally, what if they allowed their pet bees to fly freely between the two green houses? Has Monsanto done something morally or ethically wrong at this point?

What all is included in Prop 37? Would restaurants serving food made from ingredients having GMO crops have to have some kind warning for patrons?

I think it will be interesting to see what happens if California passes this. Seems like a logistic nightmare.

AndySTL said:
What all is included in Prop 37? Would restaurants serving food made from ingredients having GMO crops have to have some kind warning for patrons?

I think it will be interesting to see what happens if California passes this. Seems like a logistic nightmare.

Based on my reading yesterday, the ultimate goal is to eliminate GMOs. In other countries that have labeling, the logistic nightmare is causing stores to choose one or the other - and they're choosing non-GMOs. I'm not sure if this decision is being made solely by the stores or driven by consumers.

It reminds me of the pink slime meat product and the uproar by the sheeple. Didn't a lot of celeb-types speak out condemning this perfectly harmless product that's an ingenious use of what used to (needlessly) be waste?

CMonster said:
AndySTL said:

Based on my reading yesterday, the ultimate goal is to eliminate GMOs. In other countries that have labeling, the logistic nightmare is causing stores to choose one or the other - and they're choosing non-GMOs. I'm not sure if this decision is being made solely by the stores or driven by consumers.

It reminds me of the pink slime meat product and the uproar by the sheeple. Didn't a lot of celeb-types speak out condemning this perfectly harmless product that's an ingenious use of what used to (needlessly) be waste?

In California, a bankrupt state, a push for questionable regulations that will require a new arm of the bureaucracy and the associated huge costs.

Hey people it has to stop somewhere.

Europe has always been very anti-gmo, and farmers are subsidized more heavily than their counterparts here, so they don't need to squeeze every bushel from an acre. Farmers here, have dealt with low commodity pricing for years, and to have a product that saved them money and increased yields was a no brainer.

Let me ask this question, what is the alternative if gmo's go away? Do we use insecticides, which are very toxic and not as effective as bt corn, or go all organic, and people get to start choosing which one of their kids doesn't eat that night. I have yet to see any concrete evidence that bt is bad for your, and it is a naturally occurring bacteria in nature, and completely harmless to humans.

So, no more chicken, pig, & beef houses. They all have to be free range & only graze on natural grass etc. Forget getting any milk.........unless the dairy cows...roam free on natural grasses. Imagine the "food lines"...who gets the right to be in those lines & who is 1st ? Isn't that what the USSR had ?

GreatDane said:
Huey said:

I don't know of any danger of GMO cotton but I never tried to eat my blue jeans. :teasing-neener: . But yeah, the idea is to eliminate GMO foods. Death to Monsatan.

Yes dog, only in CA.

There is a growing body of evidence that GM wheat is contributing to obsesity, due to a protein that stimulates hunger. This protein has other bad side effects too and does not exist in natural wheat. Unfortunately, almost all wheat is GM and has been for years. A lot of this GM stuff got crammed through without nearly the scrutiny it should have received.

Back